Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

10/22 feeding and extraction problems :(

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PSLguy
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2014
    • 817

    10/22 feeding and extraction problems :(

    Installed a Kidd bull barrel and stock as well as a trigger, mag release and bolt handle upgrade on my very old and previously reliable 10/22.

    Immediately began to have issues with extraction and the occasional double feed. Maybe one out of every 5-10 rounds. So, last week I replaced the OEM extractor with a Kidd extractor.

    Took the gun out yesterday and now it won't fire more than 2 rounds before I get extraction or double feed issues. On three occasions, the empty casing was stuck in the bolt when I pulled the bolt handle back. Locked the bolt back and had to use needle nose pliers to pry it out. It was held in place on the bolt face by the extractor. Once it did the same thing but with a live round.

    When I replaced the extractor I cleaned the bolt and gun well so that's not the issue. I tried running it dry, damp, then wet. No change.

    Any ideas on what the heck the trouble is?

    Reason I chose this particular barrel is that they claim that their chamber tolerances are a bit looser than some other custom barrels making it easier for the gun to shoot non-match ammo.
  • #2
    ojisan
    Agent 86
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2008
    • 11781

    Sounds like there may be a few issues.
    - extractor tension is too tight
    - mags may be pushed sideways if the cavity for the mag in the stock is not even or the action is not fitting evenly in the stock.
    - mag release spring tension may be too low...these springs do need a replacement once in a while, particularly if you are using heavier than stock mags, like bananas or drums.
    - what kind of mags are you using? Some locate and / or feed higher or lower than others.

    I don't know your location, if local, I can check it out for you.

    Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
    I don't really care, I just like to argue.

    Comment

    • #3
      Gem1950
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • 2876

      Ejector installed correctly? In good condition?
      "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." Thomas Paine



      "We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

      "Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."

      Comment

      • #4
        ojisan
        Agent 86
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2008
        • 11781

        ^Usually if the ejector is flipped backwards, the trigger group is hard to install and the bolt won't move.
        Could be that it is upside down, I haven't ever tried this, I'm not sure the mag will go in far enough to lock in if this is the case.
        I agree the ejector should be looked at too, but if it is assembled and installed correctly it should not be an issue.

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        I don't really care, I just like to argue.

        Comment

        • #5
          Occams Rasor
          Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 490

          I you tried different ammo? Most of the aftermarket barrel chambers are tighter that the standard factory barrels, even thought you mentioned Kidds are a little lose compared to others, probably still tighter than stock barrel.

          Comment

          • #6
            Thorax
            Banned
            • Apr 2010
            • 915

            MAKE SURE that the extractor groove in the barrel is aligned with the extractor on the bolt.

            If it's not perfect it won't work right.

            I see this all the time, easy fix, loosen, rotate, tighten.

            Comment

            • #7
              PSLguy
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2014
              • 817

              Thanks for all the responses. The extracor is installed correctly. It really only goes in one way. They send along a new spring for the extractor so that was replaced too. To answer some of the other questions:

              Ammo was Federall 555 box and CCI Mini Mags. Same symptoms
              Mags were new Ruger 10 rounder and some old 25 roundsrs. Same symptoms
              25 round mags were a bit wobbly in the magwell, so I'll check that.
              Mag release spring is original, so probably 15-20 years old or older.

              When I get home I'll check to see if the extractor groove in barrel is aligned with extractor on bolt. If it isn't aligned, what do I loosen and rotate? Barrel? I hope not as it was not a slide in fit with the new barrel. It had to be encouraged with light whacks from a mallet.

              Comment

              • #8
                FeuerFrei
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2008
                • 7455

                OP
                I would change back to the old barrel with all the upgrades still in place to re-test.
                The tighter chamber on the new barrel may be too tight.
                The barrel swap should point you in the right direction anyhow. Easy work.
                Mag have been 100% ?
                Time to back track amigo!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Thorax
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 915

                  Originally posted by PSLguy
                  It had to be encouraged with light whacks from a mallet.
                  Ohh bad show mate.

                  take the whole thing apart and just stick the barrel and receiver in the freezer....twiddle your thumbs for a good 2 hours and then try to rotate it (this is with the V block and bolts removed of course).

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FiremanBob
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2015
                    • 77

                    The ejector is not the extractor. The symptom you describe - case still stuck to bolt when bolt is locked back, can only happen when the ejector (part of the trigger group) is not correctly seated in its slot in the front of the trigger group housing.

                    I wrote a blog article about exactly this situation which happened to a friend and former student: https://1022companion.wordpress.com/...stery-theater/
                    Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
                    Blog: 1022Companion.wordpress.com
                    Project Appleseed Instructor

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      AceGirlsHusband
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 2651

                      Does that Kidd bull bbl have a Bentz chamber? And if it does, are you having these problems with hypervelocity rounds (such as Stingers)?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        PSLguy
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • 817

                        Originally posted by FiremanBob
                        The ejector is not the extractor. The symptom you describe - case still stuck to bolt when bolt is locked back, can only happen when the ejector (part of the trigger group) is not correctly seated in its slot in the front of the trigger group housing.

                        I wrote a blog article about exactly this situation which happened to a friend and former student: https://1022companion.wordpress.com/...stery-theater/
                        This was it, but with a twist. There is another way that a case can stick to a bolt.

                        That would be when the bonehead doing the reassembly completely forgets to install the ejector!!!!!!

                        Had to double facepalm that one as one didn't seem like enough.

                        Thanks for all the help.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          FiremanBob
                          Junior Member
                          • Jan 2015
                          • 77

                          Missing entirely counts as not properly seated. Glad you found the problem and fixed it. I bet you will never forget it again. Here's a tip: If you put a small bit of electrical tape on the side of the ejector, it will tighten the fit in the slot and keep it in place as you install the trigger group.
                          Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
                          Blog: 1022Companion.wordpress.com
                          Project Appleseed Instructor

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1