im happy with my KMR rails. i wouldnt go back to using standard picatinny quad rails. with that said, i'd choose any of the options (troy alphas, MI SS series, M-Lok rails, etc) over quad rails, since i dont hang much stuff on my handguard. i went with the KMR's because they were the lightest rails on the market, and i preferred their barrel nut mounting system over the competition.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Keymod rail users
Collapse
X
-
The PRI rails are many things, but lightweight is not an attribute I would give them. The CF that they use ends up being nearly 1/8" thick, so it's extremely robust but not exactly light. The CF construction does however tend to handle heat a lot better than aluminum forends. I haven't been able to get my PRI forends hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold, they just stay at a nice even temp regardless of how hot the barrel under them gets.Ok, since we're talking rails. My buddy is looking for a rail for his AR-10. He was asking me about the PRI Carbon Fiber rail, and I wasn't sure about that.($300+?!?) Yeah carbon fiber is supposed to be light, but are there lighter metal free floaters out there? Not having an AR-10 I wouldn't know what to tell him. If any body has a lead on some manufacturers, I'd appreciate it and I'll check out their websites...
Thx
SlideU.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015Comment
-
If for some reason he really wants a CF handguard, but actually wants it to be lightweight, AP customs would be a possibility(if they have something compatible with your buddy's upper, the .308 AR market is a damned mess when it comes to some of this stuff).Ok, since we're talking rails. My buddy is looking for a rail for his AR-10. He was asking me about the PRI Carbon Fiber rail, and I wasn't sure about that.($300+?!?) Yeah carbon fiber is supposed to be light, but are there lighter metal free floaters out there? Not having an AR-10 I wouldn't know what to tell him. If any body has a lead on some manufacturers, I'd appreciate it and I'll check out their websites...
Thx
SlideComment
-
Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC
https://www.ocabj.netComment
-
I think this is actually where keymod shines. It is light and slim, very comfortable to grip the rail direct, or attach slim keymod grip panels in just the right places for your grip.I don't use keymod, mostly because I don't like hanging a bunch of crap on my rifle.
Like a smooth, round feel without rails. I used the UTG superslim models on 3 AR's. Cheap, tight, reliable and a nice finish. I like thin guns. They also make them in keymod for much less $ than the other brands.
I have a 2005 AR build with an older style, 4-sided pica tinny Daniel defense rail, and a BCM with kmr.
KMR is amazingly light. If you're building s rifle where weight isn't as important it's not a big deal, but if you're building a lean shorter rifle the keymod really shines.-------------------------Comment
-
It's pretty nice. I was using a KAC handstop and this gives a better grip angle for my support hand when c-clamping. I probably would have stuck with the BCM VFG, but I just didn't like the height of the grip. Gets in the way if you want to shoot prone off a soft bag / rucksack.
Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC
https://www.ocabj.netComment
-
Hey guys, thank you for the suggestions for the ar-10 rails. I'll pass the info on to him. Merry Christmas to all, stay safe out there.
SlideThe SlideComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,157
Posts: 25,144,952
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,525
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 51305 users online. 33 members and 51272 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment