Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ACOGs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1CavScout
    replied
    I use glasses to read, but my distance vision is still good. The ACOG's work perfect for me. The reticle is clear, as is the magnified image I am looking at.

    Leave a comment:


  • sunborder
    replied
    I am about 20/50 nearsighted in my right eye. If I take off my glasses to shoot, the targets look great through the ACOG, but I can't see the reticle worth a damn. All I see is a faint red blur, with lots of blooming.

    This is annoying when shooting prone, because I have to crane my neck up to get the right cheek (chin) weld so that the optic is visible through my glasses, and I'm not sighting in using a reflection of the reticle on my glasses, instead of a direct view through the glasses. I also have to push my glasses way up on my nose.

    This may happen with other magnified scopes (I haven't tried), but it doesn't happen with red dots to the same degree (it's blurry, but I can still see it well enough to aim).

    Hope that helps.

    Leave a comment:


  • GM4spd
    replied
    Originally posted by penguin0123
    You do realize that ACOGs are designed for 20/20 with no diopter adjustments, right? .
    Yes,I understand this,my distance vision is still close to 20/20, nearsighted
    causes problems looking thru front,rear, and target,which I think would
    be minimized by looking thru an optic. Pete

    Leave a comment:


  • penguin0123
    replied
    You do realize that ACOGs are designed for 20/20 with no diopter adjustments, right? So if your vision changes between your glasses update, you'll be SOL. Also, ACOGs are parallax free vertically but aren't horizontally. In addition, the right side of the reticle will be somewhat blurry because of the design (reference Trijicon's ACOG FAQ). Assuming ACOG is parallax free at 100yards (Dr. Google failed me, so I'm guessing the usual value here), you can be off a maximum of 64mm at 200yd, and 128mm at 400yd, etc.

    Are you ok with all those limitations? Are they worth putting up with for the "reliability" of ACOGs? I put reliability in quotes because S&B short dots have been used in the same grunt role as ACOGs, and Leupold Mk4 LRT (MK12 mod0) and MRT (Mk12 mod1) have all been used in the sandbox, and we don't hear horror stories of them failing.

    If you're just poking holes on paper, it may not be a bad idea to at least consider some of the more "traditional" scopes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Press Check
    replied
    Originally posted by GM4spd
    Is optics planet the
    best place to buy? Thanks Pete
    Personally, I'd buy elsewhere.

    Leave a comment:


  • hermosabeach
    replied
    They make super clear and sturdy optics


    Buy one


    I prefer mil dots to any has marks for one bullet weight.

    Mil dots can help one range.

    If you buy one made for the velocity of mil spec 55 grain ammo out of a 16" barrel, then swapping it to another upper or caliber is a no go.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cnynrat
    replied
    Here's a pretty good thread on Calguns that discusses the differences between the various models.

    Seems like choosing involves a trade off between weight, eye relief, and field of view. One of those you can get any two out of three situations, but getting all three optimized isn't possible.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rcjackrabbit
    replied
    The TA33 or TA11 is a good choice. They make shooting your rifle fun. I like the TA11J-G the best.

    You will be slower at CQB distances. But, an offset red dot can eliminate this problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • Squid2000
    replied
    Mine looks exactly the same with detachable handle. DO IT ALREADY!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • GM4spd
    replied
    Thanks for the replies,I guess I have a 6921 with a 14.5" bbl with add on
    weld! This is what I want to put the ACOG on. Pete

    Leave a comment:


  • Squid2000
    replied
    I used white box winchester to sight mine in. I have the horseshoe, buddy has the chevron both in red. We had zero issues with every piece of ammo used. It's been a great piece of glass. Buy one, enjoy! I really like the red! We are both using colts- I use 6920 and he has the 6940. Eye relief for me was a non issue. It has never once bugged me. He reports the same.

    I got mine from optics planet and believe his was from amazon (came from optics planet too). Good luck and get one now!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • wiki wiki
    replied
    I have a TA33R-11 that can hit steel out to 500 yards, it's calibrated for a 16" barrel shooting 55gr. bullets. I'm using it on a 20" barrel with 62 grain bullets, while using the range marks at 300 - 500 yards I'm hitting low anywhere from an inch to about 2.5" from where the range mark indicates where the point of impact will be, for steel it's not an issue.
    Optic Planet had the best deal by far, with a 10% off coupon I got the TA33R-ll for $720 OTD. Next cheapest place was at least $100 higher.

    Leave a comment:


  • Whiskey-Tango
    replied
    I've had a few different ACOGs with different reticle's but I ended up staying with the TA01-NSN. It's not busy and for some reason I shoot better with it. The 4x has no eye relief the 3.5x is much more forgiving they just don't make the etch only version in the 3.5x.

    Leave a comment:


  • GM4spd
    started a topic ACOGs

    ACOGs

    New to these but am fast approaching a point where my eyesight at 65 is just
    not as good as it used to be with irons. I will,probably buy one NEW as I
    want something that can be guaranteed.I see from their factory info
    they are producing a model 31D that is setup specifically for XM193
    55 grain ammo,which is all I shoot out of my Colt AR type.Is this worth waiting
    for? I can't imagine you guys that have present models aren't able to dial
    in 55 grain already,or am I missing something? I'm thinking I want the
    Red chevron setup,I am not shooting paper just want to hit steel out to
    400 yds and I'm doing this in bright sun at Angeles. Is optics planet the
    best place to buy? Thanks Pete
Working...
UA-8071174-1