Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Sight Options? (Red Dot Not Working Out)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PoorMan
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 793

    AR Sight Options? (Red Dot Not Working Out)

    I recently mounted a red dot on my AR and can see why they are so popular. Great field of vision and super fast acquisition. I absolutely love it, EXCEPT I wear glasses and the dot is a big blurry mess. If I take my glasses off the dot is only slightly clearer (but everything else is blurry).

    Apparently this is common for those with astigmatism and/or glasses. I took a photo of the dot to make sure the unit wasn't defective...it's not. The photo shows a clean perfect circle so the problem must be my vision. So bummed.

    I'm not very familiar with sight options for ARs. Other than irons and Red Dots, is there something else I should look into? Obviously anything that uses the same red dot technology will be a problem for me.

    Or does anyone have a solution for this issue with the red dot?

    Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by PoorMan; 05-10-2014, 2:00 PM.
  • #2
    R19
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 2697

    Nutnfancy has a whole series of YouTube on AR optics including scopes that you can still use efficiently in short ranges. He seemed to recommend a scope as the best overall choice for an AR, but then circled back in the end stating he would rather have a red dot if it is clear the philosophy of use would be short range.

    Also, many red dot threads talk about scopes that people with astigmatism use instead. Leupold Prismatic or other prismatic optic?

    Last edited by R19; 05-10-2014, 4:16 PM.
    You want to sit on the sideline and watch or do you want to play ball? - Tom Buchanan
    Life is something you dominate if you're any good at it. - Tom Buchanan
    The hardest part of the business is minding your own. - French Montana


    Comment

    • #3
      6114DAVE
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2008
      • 4083

      I wear glasses ( very low power, almost don't need them ) and when I'm wearing glasses the dot is super clear ...when you take yours off the dot gets clearer ?? Weird ...
      What brand red dot we talking ??

      Comment

      • #4
        PoorMan
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 793

        Originally posted by 6114DAVE
        I wear glasses ( very low power, almost don't need them ) and when I'm wearing glasses the dot is super clear ...when you take yours off the dot gets clearer ?? Weird ...
        What brand red dot we talking ??
        Yes, a little clearer without glasses (very little).

        It's a Vortex Strikefire.

        Comment

        • #5
          The War Wagon
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2011
          • 10294

          Aimpoint 2moa dot. Smaller the dot, the smaller the blur.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            PoorMan
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2011
            • 793

            Originally posted by R19
            Nutnfancy has a whole series of YouTube on AR optics including scopes that you can still use efficiently in short ranges. He seemed to recommend a scope as the best overall choice for an AR, but then circled back in the end stating he would rather have a red dot if it is clear the philosophy of use would be short range.

            Also, many red dot threads talk about scopes that people with astigmatism use instead. Leupold Prismatic or other prismatic optic?

            http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=43&t=334428
            Great info. Thank you.

            Comment

            • #7
              Blackhorse2010
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2013
              • 699

              I love my EOTech but my wife dislikes it because she says the reticle is always blurry (due to her astigmatism).
              I found a really inexpensive alternative to the high-priced optics that are available.

              We all know there are dozens of red dot sights out there from cheap Chinese copies to high end ACOGs.We have very few that combine quality with what many would consider a reasonable price.This is where the Lucid HD7 fits in.I first ran into the Lucid HD7 my pure accident.


              The Lucid HD7 has sharp, clear glass and is really durable (unlike a lot of cheap knockoffs).
              With the 2x magnifier it was $260 out the door.

              Comment

              • #8
                IHateCAgunLaws
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2014
                • 3

                You might want to take a look at the vortex spitfire 1x or 3x, or the burris ar 332. Theyre prism sights where u can adjust the focus for people with astigmatisms, or so im told.

                Comment

                • #9
                  PoorMan
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 793

                  Prism optics seem to be the fix I was hoping for. The Leupold looks great, but a bit pricey for my application.

                  The Burris AR 1x is looking very nice.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jyruiz
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 2045

                    Check out the Primary Arms Prism scope, good value with a great reticle.

                    Primaryarms.com

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      D23
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • 98

                      Big huge scope.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Caseless
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 1668



                        This 1x sight seems like an attempt to duplicate the Trijicon fiber optic concept without patent infringement.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          bohoki
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 20826

                          do you have a front sight?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            tradecraft
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 4630

                            Are you shooting with both eyes open?
                            Link to my feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...ser-tradecraft

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              JWHuey
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 2300

                              I have minor astigmatism & I find that a 1-4 optic (I use a Burris tac30) works very well for me.
                              At 1x it actually corrects my vision enough that I have a crystal clear sight picture & can use normal shooting glasses,as opposed to wearing my prescription glasses.
                              Weight is the main issue with a scope, but not a huge deal as I am a range shooter & not an "operator".Lol
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1