Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Fixed front sight / Free float tube / 1-4x red dot optic?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 220
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 292

    Fixed front sight / Free float tube / 1-4x red dot optic?

    I plan on moving my Aimpoint over to my next build (pistol) and installing some DD fixed sights onto my current DDM4V7. Once I can accrue the funds I think I'd like to add a Meopta ZD into its mix. I performed an image search and all the fixed sight, 1-4x pictures that came up had A2 handguards with FSB. It may be a dumb question but is there anything wrong with my plan? I'd like to lower 1/3 the scope as far as co-witnessing goes.
    Last edited by 220; 02-14-2014, 9:50 PM.
  • #2
    tradecraft
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 4630

    Your rear fixed sight will be a pain to deal with, so ditch it for a folding sight.
    Link to my feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...ser-tradecraft

    Comment

    • #3
      220
      Member
      • Feb 2013
      • 292

      Ah, I had thought about that earlier today. Well my pistol and a 22lr A2 should be finished in two weeks so I think I'll get a flip up rear for the A2 and fixed for my DD. Once I can get the scope I'll swap the flip to my DD and fixed to the A2.

      Comment

      • #4
        Siberian23
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 550

        Why not flip up front and rear? I believe the v7 is a free float tube with no sight post?

        Comment

        • #5
          220
          Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 292

          Correct. Can't really answer that. I just really liked the idea of having fixed sights on my rifle. I liked the idea of the illuminated (red dot) scope for bumps in the night but looking around I stumbled across some front sight Tritium inserts. I think I'll go this route and just assemble a dedicated precision rig someday.
          Last edited by 220; 02-14-2014, 10:40 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            sholling
            I need a LIFE!!
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2007
            • 10360

            A 1-4 scope will work fine with a fixed [i]front[/] sight but forget using a fixed rear sight with a scope.
            "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

            Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

            Comment

            • #7
              220
              Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 292

              I'm new to long guns in general. Maybe I don't know what's best for me and should be asking for suggestions instead. What would Calguns do in my situation? My current setup is a ddm4v7 with a Aimpoint H1 lower 1/3 co-witnessed. I have a completed 80% and three stripped lowers sitting in my safe. In two weeks I'll be placing an order for a 300blk pistol upper as well as a 22LR CMMG A2 upper. I still like the idea of a fixed front sight with a tritium insert on my DD but I'm not set on it. Longest range I have access to is 200 yards but mostly shoot @ 100. Maybe I should be looking at a longer scope? 4-16x perhaps?

              So here's the rundown again of what I have currently.

              -Aimpoint Micro on a lower 1/3 co-witness mount
              -DDM4V7
              -80% with 300blk pistol upper
              -Stripped lower with a 22LR CMMG A2 upper
              -Stripped Lower
              -Stripped Lower

              I'm now thinking about putting the aimpoint on my pistol and carry handle on my A2. What's a good way to set up my DD as a general purpose rifle that can do what the others can't? Perhaps a fixed front with tritium insert and a primary arms 4-14x while I save up for something nicer?
              Last edited by 220; 02-15-2014, 9:16 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                ocabj
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2005
                • 7924

                In early 2000's I ran an Aimpoint CompM2 on an A2 carry handle rifle with a forward mount. It cowitnessed on the lower 1/3 and worked just fine.


                Distinguished Rifleman #1924
                NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
                NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

                https://www.ocabj.net

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1