Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What type of Scope rings

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hoopty
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 237

    What type of Scope rings

    I bought a very nice Rem 700 5R in 300wm from a fellow Cal-Gunner. He left a 20 moa base on it. I purchased a Vortex PST 6/24x50 with a 30mm tube from Optics Planet (still waiting... I had a past credit and it was the last day of a 20% discount code, so I got the scope for dirt cheap). I need some advice on what rings to use. Something that will stand up to the 300wm.

    I was thinking about quick release so I can use the scope between my 308 lwrc and this rifle...

    Thoughts, opinions... Thanks in advance

    Bruce
    sigpic
    101st ABN DIV 81-84
    2/327th inf. "No Slack"
    Trample the weak . . . hurdle the dead!
  • #2
    Exodus343
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 4740

    I would personally dedicate one optic per rifle
    That said, bobro (I think that is how you spell it) makes decent QD mounts

    But I would use TPS, seekins, NF, leupold
    Hell check out the Spuhr mounts if you want to get your crazy
    "Adversity Introduces Us To Ourselves"

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Dinosaur Jr
      Senior Member
      • May 2012
      • 1707

      Why not Vortex Precision Matched Riflescope rings?

      For QD, American Defense (ADM), Bobro, and Larue are all good.
      Laws against murder and attempted murder should have been the only gun control laws ever needed in America...

      Comment

      • #4
        OpticsPlanet
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Apr 2009
        • 2129

        I would go with a one piece system if you will be using it on two rifles. Something like the Leupold IMS or Warne RAMP. GG&G also make a few one piece mounts that will work for you.
        I am with exodus on the idea of one scope per weapon system.

        Chase B.
        CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

        OpticsPlanet
        http://www.opticsplanet.com
        Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
        Send us a private message if we can be of help!

        Comment

        • #5
          Dinosaur Jr
          Senior Member
          • May 2012
          • 1707

          Originally posted by OpticsPlanet
          I would go with a one piece system if you will be using it on two rifles. Something like the Leupold IMS or Warne RAMP. GG&G also make a few one piece mounts that will work for you.
          I am with exodus on the idea of one scope per weapon system.

          Chase B.
          One-piece mounts (usually the equivalent of high rings) will work...and get that scope up high enough for a really great chin weld unless, of course, your face is a giant sphere, like this guy:



          Even low rings will likely require a strap-on comb pad so you can get a comfortable cheek weld...



          Those one-piece mounts are intended for AR pattern rifles where the extra mounting height is needed for a proper cheek weld. Trust me, I know...I've already been there with the Leupold IMS...wrong application for R700!

          Last edited by Dinosaur Jr; 12-13-2013, 9:30 AM.
          Laws against murder and attempted murder should have been the only gun control laws ever needed in America...

          Comment

          • #6
            OpticsPlanet
            Vendor/Retailer
            • Apr 2009
            • 2129

            Originally posted by AKS-762
            One-piece mounts (usually the equivalent of high rings) will work...and get that scope up high enough for a really great chin weld unless, of course, your face is a giant sphere, like this guy:


            Even low rings will likely require a strap-on comb pad so you can get a comfortable cheek weld...


            Those one-piece mounts are intended for AR pattern rifles where the extra mounting height is needed for a proper cheek weld. Trust me, I know...I've already been there with the Leupold IMS...wrong application for R700!
            Thats exactly why I tend to agree with Exodus, one optic per rifle. These two platforms are not the best for easily switching out one optic.

            You want the lower (relative) rings for the 700, but need the higher (relative) rings for the LWRC... maybe you can run low rings and use a riser on the LWRC...

            Here is a GG&G example. Optical center is at 1.06". It will prob. work on your 700, but it will be too low for the LWRC. The OD of the objective on your scope is 2.26". Divide that by half and we get 1.13". the 1.06" is not enough for the LWRC.

            Chase B.
            Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 12-13-2013, 12:15 PM.
            CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

            OpticsPlanet
            http://www.opticsplanet.com
            Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
            Send us a private message if we can be of help!

            Comment

            • #7
              JMP
              Internet Warrior
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Feb 2012
              • 17056

              A one piece mount seems more ideal if it's on an gun that needs more clearance or if you need additional elevation. Since you already have a 20 MOA picatinny base, I'd just get a set of standard rings of sufficient height to clear your barrel--nothing too fancy seems needed.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1