Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Optics for AR...scope or red dot with magnifier?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lambing
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 52

    Optics for AR...scope or red dot with magnifier?

    Mainly plinking at the range at 100 yards and under.
    Also home defense.
  • #2
    Tac driver
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 1077

    Both are fun setups. If I'm at the range punching paper I prefer a scope. The magnifier is fun shooting on BLM or private property when you don't have all of the range rules. Basically I don't really take much to the range that is unscoped besides the pistol or to sight something in. What's your budget op?
    http://americangunfacts.com

    Comment

    • #3
      postal
      Banned
      • Mar 2008
      • 4566

      Red dot. No magnifier needed at those ranges.

      Red dot is way faster to aquire than a scope... and even at 100, you dont need a scope.

      I'd look for a smaller dot though- 3-4 moa dot. So groups at 100 wouldnt look so hot, but minute of bad guy no problem....

      Comment

      • #4
        anthem
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 766

        How old are you? a 1x4 illuminated reticle may work. I use this on my AR.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sunday
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2010
          • 5574

          Originally posted by anthem
          How old are you? a 1x4 illuminated reticle may work. I use this on my AR.
          That is good advice.
          California's politicians and unionized government employees are a crime gang that makes the Mexican drug cartels look like a Girl Scout Troop in comparison.

          Comment

          • #6
            teflondog
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 4011

            If money and weight is no concern, I would get a red dot with magnifier. The Eotech G33 is a great magnifier that you can flip to the side for close up shots (perfect for home defense). If you want to travel light, you can always remove the magnifier and run the red dot on its own.
            Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
            Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

            Comment

            • #7
              static808
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 893

              100 yards and under? red dot only.

              Comment

              • #8
                Lambing
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 52

                Thanks for all the great input. I see that there are2 types of red dots...open and tubed. It seems a tube type would be the same as using a scope, and slower to pick up the dot than using an open style. Any input?

                Comment

                • #9
                  static808
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 893

                  Originally posted by Lambing
                  Thanks for all the great input. I see that there are2 types of red dots...open and tubed. It seems a tube type would be the same as using a scope, and slower to pick up the dot than using an open style. Any input?
                  two eyes open + unlimited eye relief = nothing like shooting a scope.

                  target acquisition is lightning quick with a red dot, as long as you're still shouldering your weapon the proper way. when people complain about not being able to pick up the dot quickly, i feel the only way that can happen is if you have improper shouldering techniques. even though its not a scope, you still need somewhat of a cheekweld. really, the way some people describe how they're trying to get on target, its like they're shooting from the hip...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    OpticsPlanet
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2129

                    Another vote for a red dot.

                    One thing to consider is the MOA of the dot. EOTech has a 1 MOA dot, others offer 2, 3, 6 and 8 MOA. Larger equals faster at close range, but at the 100 yard distance you mention, the larger dots could prove frustrating, depending on what type of shooting you do.

                    Mark H.
                    CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

                    OpticsPlanet
                    http://www.opticsplanet.com
                    Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
                    Send us a private message if we can be of help!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      postal
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 4566

                      Originally posted by static808
                      two eyes open + unlimited eye relief = nothing like shooting a scope.

                      target acquisition is lightning quick with a red dot, as long as you're still shouldering your weapon the proper way. when people complain about not being able to pick up the dot quickly, i feel the only way that can happen is if you have improper shouldering techniques. even though its not a scope, you still need somewhat of a cheekweld. really, the way some people describe how they're trying to get on target, its like they're shooting from the hip...
                      Big +1....

                      I have 2 nikon monarch VSD's (variable dot size- which is not a common feature for most brands) these are short tube style.

                      I also have a vortex razor red dot. Open style.

                      Both work just fine no issues- like "Static" said- Proper shouldering and cheekweld- both eyes open you can see everything and transition to any target VERY quickly. Though I'm really liking the 'open style'...

                      The larger the dot, the faster you pick it up and transition to a target, but the less accurate you are at longer distance. Thats what I really like about the nikon variable dot size.... Set it to the size you want for your purpose.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        amd64
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2005
                        • 1249

                        For plinking and defense 100 yards and under, Aimpoint Pro, no magnifier.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          220
                          Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 292

                          Originally posted by amd64
                          For plinking and defense 100 yards and under, Aimpoint Pro, no magnifier.
                          +1 I'd get the 2MOA version personally.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mt417
                            Member
                            • Sep 2013
                            • 280

                            I have a 4x ACOG the tritium red chevron bullet drop reticle, seems like a waste for my 16" AR but it is awesome. I also rock the EOtech EXP3-0 and plan on getting the G33 for it, but I'm going to be using this combo for my AR10 build as a backup for the Mark 4 8.5-25x Illum TMR.

                            Get a red dot, upgrade with a magnifier if you want to later or just consider getting a decent magnified scope if you end up wanting to reach farther with more precision.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1