Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

ACOG experts: TA31RMR vs. ECOS question.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Droppin Deuces
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2010
    • 5969

    ACOG experts: TA31RMR vs. ECOS question.

    Given that they are basically the same internally, aside from the reticle, why does the ECOS cost $100 less when it has more external features like auxiliary iron sights and ARMS QR mount?
    sigpic
  • #2
    penguin0123
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 3089

    Don't forget ECOS has a slightly shorter fiber optic tube. Depending if you think that TA31 has too much light gathering ability (reticle bloom), it might be a good thing; it might not make much of a difference either way. People cry about ARMS mount and generally replace them with either GDI or Larue mounts anyway.

    With TA31CH, you can still have crosshair like the ECOS.

    Comment

    • #3
      Droppin Deuces
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2010
      • 5969

      Originally posted by penguin0123
      Don't forget ECOS has a slightly shorter fiber optic tube. Depending if you think that TA31 has too much light gathering ability (reticle bloom), it might be a good thing; it might not make much of a difference either way. People cry about ARMS mount and generally replace them with either GDI or Larue mounts anyway.

      With TA31CH, you can still have crosshair like the ECOS.
      Thanks.

      Well, I'd be replacing an RCO with this. I've never really noticed any reticle bloom at all, so I can't see that being an issue. I do already have plans to replace the mount, so also not a problem.

      I was initially looking at the TA31CH, but I like the ECOS version of the reticle instead. Not to mention the color of the housing.

      Any ideas on the price difference?
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        penguin0123
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2011
        • 3089

        No idea on the price difference. Your guess is as good as mine. It also seems Trijicon is slowly offering more options as to which RMR to partner with your ACOG. If you want the Tritium/FO version of the RMR, you can only get it with the TA31.

        May I ask why you like the reticle on the ECOS and not the CH? The 600yrd+ markings on the ECOS is for M249 which *may* have the spin drift marked (don't quote me on that) the same as the TA11SDO. IMO, the CH crosshairs has the same spacing from the center to all three thick bars, so if the reticle is washed out / difficult to see, you can center the target inside the three thick bars and have a reasonable chance. ECOS crosshair won't allow you to do that as the vertical thick bar starts much lower.

        What is deficient with your RCO?


        ECOS crosshair


        TA31CH crosshair

        Comment

        • #5
          Droppin Deuces
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2010
          • 5969

          The one and only thing that bothers me about the RCO reticle is the 200 yard point inside the chevron. Everything else about it is awesome, but the crosshair is just calling my name, and since every other optic I have is some sort of mil-based crosshair, I feel like the ACOG CH will feel more natural. That's all.

          As far as the 800 -1000 marks, it wasn't that part that I liked as much as the simple fact of having more visibility. I didn't even consider any real purpose for the spacing between the thicker lines. It makes sense, though.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            TygerAR
            Member
            • Sep 2011
            • 235

            I've shot the Chevron and was not a big fan of it, So I got a Horseshoe. It's ok but I think my next one will be a crosshair. Hope my 2 cents make your decision easier.

            Comment

            • #7
              Press Check
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 4879

              Originally posted by Droppin Deuces
              The one and only thing that bothers me about the RCO reticle is the 200 yard point inside the chevron.
              That's one of the reasons I abandoned the Chevron, and switched to a Crosshair model.

              Comment

              • #8
                Droppin Deuces
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2010
                • 5969

                Originally posted by Press Check
                That's one of the reasons I abandoned the Chevron, and switched to a Crosshair model.
                Yeah, it was fun when I first got the thing, but I quickly realized I wanted more precision out of the thing. Not that the ACOG was even created with that in mind, but the type of shooting I do leans heavily toward that end, even with my tacticool M4.

                In any event, I went with the ECOS-G over the TA31CH for the iron sights and the cool bronze color.
                sigpic

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1