Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

mark 4 cq/t on a M1A?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cpl_Peters
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 652

    mark 4 cq/t on a M1A?

    im looking to put a med range optic on my M1A, i have been looking at the leupold mark 4 cq/t



    Anyone have a similar set up? if so how did you mount it? does this sight allow for a longer scout type mount or is it a normal eye relief optic?

    also does anyone have picture of a similar set-up?

    thanks
  • #2
    BigRich
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Nov 2002
    • 788

    It's going to sight way up high. You will need a cheekrest of some kind to make it work. It was designed to go on a flat top M16/M4 platform.

    As an optical sight it is great. Mine is on top of my Special Receiver'ed Steyr USR.
    No one arrives in Hell surprised. (St. Robert Bellarmine)

    Comment

    • #3
      trapshot68
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 1082

      and the eye relief is only 2 inches, so you'd have to get the over-the-receiver mount
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        odysseus
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Dec 2005
        • 10407

        Agreed, eye relief is a big consideration on a m1a\m14. If you do it, let us know how it goes.
        "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

        The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
        - John Adams

        http://www.usdebtclock.org/

        Comment

        • #5
          randy
          In Memoriam
          • Nov 2006
          • 4642

          There are many many better options than the CQB. I like Leupold products but they missed the boat on that one. Heavy, not a good reticle for distance, bulky, low magnafication.

          Better options IMHO Leupold Mk4 MR/T 30mm 1.5 to 5, Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 to 4, Meopta KDot 1 to 4. There are others out there these just come to mind.
          Last edited by randy; 05-28-2008, 1:40 AM.
          I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

          When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

          Comment

          • #6
            Cpl_Peters
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2006
            • 652

            ok my next question would be, what optics would work without a cheeck rest?

            Comment

            • #7
              harlot
              Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 149

              Originally posted by Cpl_Peters
              ok my next question would be, what optics would work without a cheeck rest?
              Well, nothing really. The sights on an M1A are much lower than any scope mounts, so low that all the good rails have grooves down the center so you can see the irons below the scope, as opposed to co-witnessing like on an AR. Either get a cheekrest or get a JAE stock . There are basically 3 to choose from-


              And I agree with everything else that was said, CQT isn't a good fit for an M1A. Either low power variable or dot + magnifier. I got an Aimpoint M3 + 3X in LaRue mounts on top of a Sadlak over the reciever (the scount rail that came with my Socom sits unused)

              Comment

              • #8
                randy
                In Memoriam
                • Nov 2006
                • 4642

                If you don't want to spend the money on the check rest you screw through the stock then don't buy the others.

                The one that screws through the check rest looks pretty solid and looks like it will hold up. Just an observation.

                The other two don't hold up and come loose and are a general PITA. The cheap way to do it is get some closed cell foam and duct tape. It might look cheesy but it works won't come loose and is cheap. I learned this from my buddy that did it to his rifle when he carried a M14 in SF.

                The scout rail doesn't leave you with much of an option for scopes. Low power extended eye relief scopes are good for close fast shots but with my eyes I can't see the targets well enough. Over the reciever mounts with a conventional style scope work the best.

                There are 1 or 2 quality mounts on the market. The SA mount isn't one of them. I'll get the name of the one Gunsite recommends and a friend of mine used during a week long rifle class he took from them. His 300 dollar mount he showed up with puked in the first couple of hours. They told him which mount to buy he overnighted it (it's nice to have money) Gunsite installed it he zerod his rifle and it held the rest of the class. The scope he uses is a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 to 4. Not that what he likes means anything you might not like it but it works.

                We shoot 10" plates at 350 yards and 14" plates at 400 yards from awkward postions under time. Much smaller targets than if you think of yourself as a zombie killer. If you want to shoot farther or smaller targets you might want more power than 4 power.

                Bottom line don't skimp on the mount or your rifle won't hold zero.

                This is what I've found that works YMMV

                Good luck
                Last edited by randy; 05-29-2008, 3:07 AM.
                I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                Comment

                • #9
                  brando
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3694

                  That scope is poop. It's what JSOC was trying to get Leupold to make correctly for about four years until they gave up and S&B made the Short Dot for them.
                  --Brando

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    maxicon
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4661

                    A lot of people like the CQ/T, despite its limitations. Most people agree the Short Dot is better, but it also costs 3x as much...

                    I'd have a hard enough time justifying a $600 scope, let alone a $2000+ one.
                    sigpic
                    NRA Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Timberwolf
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2004
                      • 6275

                      Originally posted by Cpl_Peters
                      ok my next question would be, what optics would work without a cheeck rest?
                      Because of the way you have to mount optics on an M14/M1A you cannot do so without a cheek rest of some sort. You can get numerous types on strap on cheek rests that work well with the M14/M1A platform.

                      Also why are you wanting to limit your optics. This platform is accurate out to 1K yards with the right ammo barrel combination and certainly out to 600 in plain jane confirguration. That said I would opt for something along the line of a Leupy Mk4 3.5-10X40 LR.
                      I'm only smiling at you while you talk to me because it's hilarious that you really think I give a crap about you.

                      As I've gotten older I thought I was gaining patience, then I realized I simply don't give a crap.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        USN CHIEF
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 11540

                        I have the Leupold CQ/T and I did try mounting it on my SOCOM II but it did not work because of the eye relief. Maybe if I had the extended rail on it. But like many other's have said, your best bet is getting something else with more magnification. I have the Aimpoint CompM3 4MOA on my SOCOM but I am not very happy with it. I am not trying to figure out wich optic to put on it too. I have been looking at the M1A thread to see what I like.
                        Originally posted by tankerman
                        I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
                        Originally posted by Douglas711
                        Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          brando
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 3694

                          Originally posted by maxicon
                          A lot of people like the CQ/T, despite its limitations. Most people agree the Short Dot is better, but it also costs 3x as much...
                          True. My point was more that as a variable low-power optic with close quarters reticle, it misses the mark.
                          --Brando

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            randy
                            In Memoriam
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 4642

                            I agree the rifle is capable of good accuracy to great distances. Finding places to conveniently shoot those great distances is another story. Key word there is convenient.

                            You can always buy something and then change it later. Here's one way to look at it. Buy the scope if you wind up not liking it then buy something else. Now you have a scope without a home so you get to buy a rifle to fit the scope. That's one way collections start.

                            Good luck and let us know what you get.
                            I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                            When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1