Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Newb AR Optics Question (Bushnell Banner)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • joelnefph
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 63

    Newb AR Optics Question (Bushnell Banner)

    Hello....

    So I am building my first AR, and plan on not running iron sites....just optics.

    I am looking for a 16" upper with a single rail gas block, and flat top receiver. (Probably a DPMS oracle upper)

    For the scope, I was thinking of the 3-9x Bushnell Banner



    Would this be a good fit? Would proper mounting be just on the rail included on the upper, with rings?

    Sorry for my inexperience, but I want to make sure that I am getting the right stuff for this first budget build.

    Thanks.
    You're not conservative until you have something to conserve....
  • #2
    joelnefph
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 63

    Or maybe this?
    You're not conservative until you have something to conserve....

    Comment

    • #3
      EvolutionGSR
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 1556

      I was just at the range and st next to a guy with a barska that the reticle started turning on him. No personal experience with banners.

      But for a budget AR scope Id say nikon P223. Sorry its at twice the price of what you previously posted.

      Comment

      • #4
        GeoffLinder
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2009
        • 2425

        IMHO, stay away from anything Barska. I also think 3-9x is too much magnification for an AR unless all you plan on doing is punching paper from the bench. You would be better served with a 1-4x like the Burris MTAC



        Or a 1.5-6x

        Comment

        • #5
          joelnefph
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 63

          hmmmm..... just ran across this. I am familiar with the pros and cons of a fixed magnification scope though

          You're not conservative until you have something to conserve....

          Comment

          • #6
            EvolutionGSR
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1556

            You will probably like a low power variable more like geoff recomended. I just suggested a better 3-9x because i thought you knew what you wanted.

            A bad scope can ruin the shooting experience. Save a few more bucks and get a decent low power variable. If burris is too much, maybe research the leatherwood cmr.

            Comment

            • #7
              joelnefph
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 63

              Thanks for the info guys! I am still waiting on JSE or Midway....or someone to get an upper in. I prefer the look of the single rail gas block.

              I know I don't want the front sight for sure....but I think I am just going to get some detachable iron sites and hone my skills with them, and do ample research for the scope. Do it right the first time.
              You're not conservative until you have something to conserve....

              Comment

              • #8
                Forewarned
                Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 235

                I have that Bushnell Banner scope, I put it on my Mosin Nagant and it's holding up just fine.
                Last edited by Forewarned; 03-19-2013, 8:06 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  1911ShooterPhil
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 1037

                  I highly recommend a fixed power scope for an AR15.

                  With my bad eyes, I need to use scopes. As a security contractor, I often used scopes mounted on AR15's. My most used optic for my 16" 5.56mm NATO DPMS AR15 carbine was a Weaver Classic K 4x38 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174...-reticle-matte), which, at the time, I mounted in ARMS #22 30mm throw lever scope rings, high height (http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...s/ARMS-22.html), with ARMS #37 ring inserts, 30mm to 1" (http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...s/ARMS-37.html). It was an awesome fixed power scope that had a generous amount of eye relief and was clear enough for regular usage. I dropped the gun with the scope on, banged the scope on doors and entries, and generally abused that scope. It worked great for my needs and the distances I was using it for.

                  I am a fan of fixed power scopes for AR15's. Why? Less moving parts and they are way easier to learn how to use and become adept at using.

                  Don't steer away from a fixed power scope just because fashion dictates that variable power scopes are more popular these days.

                  --1911ShooterPhil
                  Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 04-25-2013, 12:37 AM. Reason: Added links...
                  "A gun is a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." Shane (1953)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    negolien
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 4829

                    The banner would be an ok starter scope It is very entry level though. You're also probably going to want a PEPR scope base for any actual scope. Red dots don't need that kind of base. If you can spend a little bit of money Nikon puts out some very nice scopes like the Buckmaster and the P223-M223 line. For red dots Bushnell, Primary Arms and Strike fire are decent entry level Red Dots.

                    You should decide first what the actual use will be. If you're going for bench shooting at 100-300 yards only go with a scope. If you're looking at defensive or combat style shooting you're going to want a red dot.
                    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                    George Orwell

                    http://www.AnySoldier.com

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      EvolutionGSR
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 1556



                      Check that one out. I dont have any experience with it though so do your own research. It just looked like your price range....and it comes with a mount

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        joelnefph
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 63

                        Originally posted by EvolutionGSR
                        http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-O...it-P61994.aspx

                        Check that one out. I dont have any experience with it though so do your own research. It just looked like your price range....and it comes with a mount


                        That looks perfect! Right power, right design, and with a base! Thanks!
                        You're not conservative until you have something to conserve....

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          negolien
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 4829

                          yup I agree that's a pretty good deal.
                          "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                          George Orwell

                          http://www.AnySoldier.com

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Justintoxicated
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 3836

                            4x isn't enough for me, I can barley see my target at 300 yards with a 4x even my M223 at 12x seems like it isn't enough at times.
                            Last edited by Justintoxicated; 03-21-2013, 4:10 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              EvolutionGSR
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 1556

                              Just be aware of what it does not come with also...and that is any illumination. Although the banner you posted didn't have any either.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1