Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Peep sight for Rossi M92

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mulay El Raisuli
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 3613

    Peep sight for Rossi M92

    I want to put a peep sight on my .357 Rossi levergun. I could go to a gunsmith & drill & tap for a Williams 5D (or similar). I could go with the Steve's Gunz bolt mounted peep sight, which has the advantage of getting rid of that butt ugly (useless & possibly dangerous) "safety" as well.





    But money is tight & my browsing thru the 'net lead me to this:





    The advantages here are that its a lot cheaper, is something that I could mount all by myself & almost matches the original looks (not a big issue, but something to consider). The disadvantage is that I'd still have to get a plug for the hole that will remain after I pull the butt ugly safety.

    The reviews on-line are positive. But the reviews are also on Brownells, which has no interest in seeing one of their own products slammed. So, I'd like to hear from anyone here who has used the Marble sight & get their thoughts on the thing. I'm just not sure about the whole 'peep within a peep' way of doing things. Also, I'm thinking about removing the inner peep & using just the outer peep, "ghost ring" style.

    Any thoughts on this, or regarding the Steve's Gunz sight, gratefully appreciated.

    If anyone knows of a north San Diego county gunsmith familiar with Rossi leverguns, & their care & feeding, I'd like to know that as well.

    Thanks.


    The Raisuli
    "Ignorance is a steep hill with perilous rocks at the bottom"

    WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
  • #2
    VegasND
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2007
    • 8621

    I've thought about the bolt-mounted peep that replaces the STUPID safety. I just have to remember to order one.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
    --River Tam

    Comment

    • #3
      Mulay El Raisuli
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 3613

      Originally posted by VegasND
      I've thought about the bolt-mounted peep that replaces the STUPID safety. I just have to remember to order one.

      I may have misread the web page, but I thought it had to be installed by Steve. I.E., send the bolt to him & wait for it.


      The Raisuli
      "Ignorance is a steep hill with perilous rocks at the bottom"

      WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85

      Comment

      • #4
        VegasND
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2007
        • 8621

        It looks to me like you install it yourself:
        Steve's Gunz : Page Not Found - Front Sights Rear Sights Special Sights Gun Parts Kits/Packages Media/DVDs Guns Gunstocks rossi,rossi 92,rossi 92 specialist, gunsmith, gun shop, online gun shopping, gun store

        From Testimonials page:
        The new ejector spring is great. Now the rifle doesn't throw the rounds into the next county. Also the action seems to close easier.

        The peep sight went on just like that. Though I have to say it was looking as if I wasn't going to be able to use it at first because how lose it was.

        Testimonial By: Corbin Bates — Howell, MI, United States
        Originally posted by Mulay El Raisuli
        I may have misread the web page, but I thought it had to be installed by Steve. I.E., send the bolt to him & wait for it.


        The Raisuli
        People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
        --River Tam

        Comment

        • #5
          Mulay El Raisuli
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 3613

          Originally posted by VegasND
          It looks to me like you install it yourself:
          Steve's Gunz : Page Not Found - Front Sights Rear Sights Special Sights Gun Parts Kits/Packages Media/DVDs Guns Gunstocks rossi,rossi 92,rossi 92 specialist, gunsmith, gun shop, online gun shopping, gun store

          From Testimonials page:

          Ah, I should have read further. My misteak.

          Thanks.


          The Raisuli
          "Ignorance is a steep hill with perilous rocks at the bottom"

          WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85

          Comment

          • #6
            Mulay El Raisuli
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2008
            • 3613

            Originally posted by VegasND
            I've thought about the bolt-mounted peep that replaces the STUPID safety. I just have to remember to order one.

            I bought one. I figured that since my life might depend on this, I can afford the extra $$$.

            Turned out is was VERY easy to install. It looks good. It gives me the choice of "ghost ring" or small aperture.

            I haven't been to the range yet to sight it in, but I recommend that you get it.


            The Raisuli
            "Ignorance is a steep hill with perilous rocks at the bottom"

            WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85

            Comment

            • #7
              BomarFab
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2012
              • 1146

              I don't mind the safety too much, but may remove it at some point.

              That said I opted for the barrel mounted peep/ghost ring style set from Skinner Sights.
              Support CGF, Make All of Your Amazon.com Purchases Through This Link

              Comment

              • #8
                VegasND
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2007
                • 8621

                Thanks! Maybe I'll get busy and order one now.
                Originally posted by Mulay El Raisuli
                I bought one. I figured that since my life might depend on this, I can afford the extra $$$.

                Turned out is was VERY easy to install. It looks good. It gives me the choice of "ghost ring" or small aperture.

                I haven't been to the range yet to sight it in, but I recommend that you get it.


                The Raisuli
                People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
                --River Tam

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mulay El Raisuli
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 3613

                  Originally posted by VegasND
                  Thanks! Maybe I'll get busy and order one now.

                  You're welcome.


                  The Raisuli
                  "Ignorance is a steep hill with perilous rocks at the bottom"

                  WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mulay El Raisuli
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 3613

                    I'm a little late with this, but I finally got to the range.

                    Things went very well. I set up on the table & fired three shots. I thought I had missed the paper entirely as I couldn't see anything on the target. My friend took a look though & told me to look closer. It turned out that the reason I couldn't see anything is because I had put all three shots into one ragged hole, right in the black. Against all odds, I had installed the thing PERFECTLY. I spent of my time picking targets at various ranges & putting holes in them.

                    This sight is fabulous & I recommend it highly.


                    The Raisuli
                    "Ignorance is a steep hill with perilous rocks at the bottom"

                    WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1