Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

MOA question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Chontkleer
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 1197

    MOA question

    Steel target, base, and mount en route. Check.
    10 boxes of 175 grain FGMM en route. Check.
    Sites scouted for 1000 yard shooting. Check.

    Still won't be ready to launch $1 bullets downrange though until I figure out my scope. It's a Leupold -- either vari-x III or VX-3 (can't see any markings) 4.5-14 rfp, mil-dot, with 50mm objective. Dial is numbered from 0 to 14 (15 MOA per turn I guess) 1/4 MOA clicks.

    When I took it to figure it out at 600 yards, I was hitting dead on with 16.25 MOA

    Question is, how do I figure out how much I have to play with on the scope and whether or not I need a different base or shims to get it out to 1000?

    Can't find the manual online, and fwir, there wasn't anything that specific in it anyway.

    Are the scopes set up so that you have even MOA adjustment from the middle of the reticle? That wouldn't make sense, right? You might need to move the cross-hairs up a little from your zero to account for any small issues, but generally you want to move them down to move the point of aim up. So do they build them, say, in a 90 MOA scope, say with 5 MOA down from where it's set at the factory and 85 up sort of thing?
  • #2
    shmeddie
    Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 215

    40 moa should get you out to 1000. Crank your elevation knob to 40 moa from your 100 yard zero. If your scope has enough adjustment then you are good. As you reach the end of your elevation range the "clicks" will get harder. Don't push it any further. If you don't have enough elevation then pick up a 20 moa base for your rifle that will give you more room for elevation adjustment. Some scopes need them and some don't. It just depends on the brand/ model.
    Last edited by shmeddie; 04-27-2012, 3:32 PM. Reason: typo
    "Charlie don't surf!"

    Comment

    • #3
      Chontkleer
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 1197

      Originally posted by shmeddie
      40 moa should get you out to 1000. Crank your elevation knob to 40 moa from your 100 yard zero. If your scope has enough adjustment then you are good. If not then pick up a 20 moa base for your rifle that will give you more room for elevation adjustment. Some scopes need them and some don't. It just depends on the brand/ model.
      Thanks. Wanted to see if there's a way to do it before heading out so I can make any adjustments/purchases first if necessary. You shoot long range? I live in the valley too.

      Comment

      • #4
        shmeddie
        Member
        • Oct 2008
        • 215

        Not long range. I haven't had the chance to shoot past 600 yards. I shoot with CAPRC a lot and am at angeles at least once a week. Check out caprc.com and come to a match sometime. Most are in the socal area. Hit me up if you need a spotter or someone to shoot with.
        "Charlie don't surf!"

        Comment

        • #5
          Chontkleer
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 1197

          Love to. Planning on going out to blm land on the week of the 8th sometime, on a weekday. I've been getting to Angeles about once a month (that will definitely increase once I start reloading, I'm sure).

          Do you get to Angeles just on weekends? I have flexible schedule and much prefer during the week.

          Will PM you email.

          Comment

          • #6
            G-forceJunkie
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2010
            • 6475

            Originally posted by Chontkleer
            So do they build them, say, in a 90 MOA scope, say with 5 MOA down from where it's set at the factory and 85 up sort of thing?
            No, the reticle is centered in the tube if the knobs are centered. How much of the usable range all depends on the rifle, mount, etc. If you plan on shooting long range with a .308, your going to want a 20moa canted base unless you have a scope with a huge amount of internal adjustment. with a 100 yard zero on your scope, keep turning it up, counting as you go, and see how many moa's of adjustment you have before it bottoms out. Your going to want 35-40 moa if you want to shoot to 1000 yards.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1