Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recommend me a scope for an AR!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 23 Blast
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 3754

    Recommend me a scope for an AR!

    Preference - I like compact scopes with smaller objective bells. 32mm max. Magnification around 4x or so. I'm not trying to nail one gnat at 300m.

    Price range - around $200 at the most. If your recommendation is around $250 or a bit more, I may consider it, but not if it's way more.

    What I'm looking for is a scope that will complement a flattop 16" AR and let me see and hit things out to 150m or so. Again, I'm looking for something that will keep with the compact look I'm going for. I always thought 40mm scopes on tactical rifles looked a bit funny.

    FWIW, on my Mini 14 I have a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 on top which is a great scope that I'm very happy with. Only issue I have getting another for the AR is, as mentioned, it's a bit on the large and long side for my taste.

    I tried a 2x Tru-Glo red dot on the AR, found it not to my liking. That is why I'm in the market for a scope.
    "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
    [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."
  • #2
    Omega13device
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 1943

    Weaver Classic V 1-3x20 http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classi...ope-P2864.aspx

    Comment

    • #3
      winxp_man
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 2038

      Might be a long shot for you but here is one that is really nice for the price.


      Shoot to Kill not to Wound !


      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        OpticsPlanet
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Apr 2009
        • 2129

        My vote is for nikon's M223 1-4x20. I used them on a few AR platforms from 223 to 308 and they have worked perfectly. Nice thing about it is Nikon's Spot On software. They will match your exact load to the reticle to give you all your holdover points and it really works. Check out nikon hunting.com, spot on is free there. Be a great match to your rifle:



        Trevor B.
        CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

        OpticsPlanet
        http://www.opticsplanet.com
        Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
        Send us a private message if we can be of help!

        Comment

        • #5
          Barbarossa
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 4436

          My vote is for the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50.

          with the American Defense Recon Scope Mount

          I've really enjoyed this set up on my spikes 16" M4 upper. Troy rear sight even fits under it.

          since you mentioned look...

          Last edited by Barbarossa; 11-29-2011, 9:26 AM.
          Looking for a 3" Magnum 870 $200-$250ish

          Comment

          • #6
            Omega13device
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2006
            • 1943

            FYI if most of your shooting is inside 200 yards you don't need BDC, just zero at 50 and you'll be within 2" out to 250 yards.

            Comment

            • #7
              ejhc11
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 1214

              Maybe this? A red dot and scope in one unit matching your specs w/lifetime warranty.

              Comment

              • #8
                23 Blast
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 3754

                Thanks all - here is the one I settled on:

                "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
                [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

                Comment

                • #9
                  jvpark
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 1793

                  Save up for a ACOG. You can find great deals on a Ta01. They are worth every penny.




                  Bodyguard .380 FS/T

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    verapakill
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 1185

                    Originally posted by 23 Blast
                    Thanks all - here is the one I settled on:

                    http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...iflescope.html
                    I have that same scope and I really like it

                    For the price it holds zero very well
                    sigpic
                    Like my Signature??? Want a custom Sig for free? Click the link and add your needs
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=333574

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sleighter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 3624

                      You should check out primary arms. They're here on Calguns, have amazing customer service and I'm loving my scope from them.
                      If you are wondering if you can get a LTC in Riverside County: THE ANSWER IS YES!

                      Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Seesm
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7812

                        My ex father in law got a Nikon Coyote Special and I loved it... May pick one up soon.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Coyotegunner
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 1353

                          Like OMEGA.I have a few of those Weavers in 1-3.One on a AR15,One on a MINI 14.They should be about $150 new.I just sold 2 of the 5 I had for $100 each plus shipping on Gunbroker.They had been mounted.I needed longer range on a couple applications.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            problemchild
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 6959

                            "$200 at the most"

                            Really?

                            Save your cash and buy something decent that will last a lifetime. Personally I would buy a beater Acog for 500-600 dollars. I have seen so many ar shooters with total crap scopes at the range.

                            Buy once cry once. You wont be sorry in the long run and you wont hate the scope when you get to the range.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              AR22
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2011
                              • 2174

                              I see this buy once cry once crap touted all over the place..Yes I am sure the ACOGs are nice but they are way overpriced and hardly anyone out there can afford them anyway but they look "COOL"...I have had a Nikon Prostaff on one of my ARs for two years now and it has very good glass,adequate enough for anyone.Has never once failed to keep zero even after being mounted and remounted with quick detatch base and switching between irons and it..Do not listen to people that tell you need to spend alot to get quality its simply not true and for well under 300.00 you can get a quality scope you will not "CRY" about.......The Leopold Redfields are great scopes too at the 150.00 range as the Nikons..Both names have lifetime warrantys if you ever did have to cry about it which is unlikely...I guarentee you 100% that my Nikon will shoot just as well at the range or better than an ACOG and more than likely way outshoot it past 150 yards...

                              I definitley will never say I hate my Nikon at the range or anywhere else,it is a damn nice scope...Thanks
                              Last edited by AR22; 12-07-2011, 5:31 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1