Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1-4 power scopes, for AR flat top

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • squee116
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 984

    1-4 power scopes, for AR flat top

    Hey all, just got a 20" Armalite flat top that I've been doing some pondering on. I've thought about trying to make an m16A4 build or trying to turn it into a target shooter. I'm leaning towards the m16a4 build, and was thinking about some 1-4 powered scopes for the rifle. If I had the money, I'd try an ACOG, but the budget only allows for a modest 1-4 scope. I'm trying to keep the scope sub-500$ and I'm looking for high performance per price.

    So far, I've thought about:
    Burris Tac30($300),
    Leupold XV-R 1.25-4($440-$480 depending on the reticle)
    Viper HS($480), Viper PST($500)

    Looking to shoot 7 to 300 yards with the optic. The Tac30 has a great price, and I've seen a special with a pepr mount and fastfire for 500. But the dots seem kind of large for longer range shooting.

    On the other hand, the Viper and Leupold have really good glass from what I've heard which really interests me. BUT I don't know if I'm barking up the right tree for these distances with these magnifications, or whether I'd be over purchasing for my needs. I've got a Vortex Diamondback, and I'd like to class up my future optics a bit, as I was left a bit wanting. I'm very serious about the 500 dollar limit, which is already outside of my range for now, and I'll be saving towards. I'd like to keep the above optics the topic of discussion unless you have news of new scopes I should just wait for. I have a back-up Sparc which can keep the rifle company, if that is the case.
  • #2
    MilitaryArms
    Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 242

    This is the scope I would recommend;



    There is a reason big names in the industry are getting behind the CMR, people like Marc Krebs and even Gabe Suarez, that's because these sights are rock solid, well designed and very well made.

    In this video I talk to Marc Krebs about his use of the CMR.



    It towards the end.

    The price also can't be beat.

    Comment

    • #3
      squee116
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 984

      I've thought about the CMR, especially after your video(I'm subscribed to your channel lol), but I've heard several people on this forum complain about the quality of the optic. I don't know if they are just being sticklers or snobbish, or if they have legitimate complaints, but I don't have anywhere nearby where I can test the scope for myself, so that's got me a bit skittish in terms of the Leatherwood. However, the price has me rethinking it again. Thanks for the input MAC.

      Comment

      • #4
        SuperSet
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2007
        • 9048

        In that price range, I'd get the Burris Tax-30. The BDC dots are small so you can use them to shoot out to 400-500yds, if required. Illumination washes out in daylight but the reticule is so large that I usually ran it without illumination. You see the TAC30/MTAC all over the 3-gun circuit now.

        Comment

        • #5
          MrPlink
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2010
          • 12532

          I picked up a CMR not too long ago. So far I have nothing but good things to say about it.
          SWFA has a really good deal on it right now, for a bit over 300 you get the scope and a single piece mount (copy of a burris pepr)
          The California Moderate Centrist Militia member in exile

          disclaimer:
          everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice

          Comment

          • #6
            squee116
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2010
            • 984

            Yeah, I saw that deal, which is what's making me rethink it. But at the same time, I don't want to have to step my way up the quality ladder, spending 300, 400, 500 dollars at a time. I've only got my 2 ARs, and only one of them is going to use a 1-4.

            Has anyone actually compared the CMR with the others mentioned? If it's in the ballpark, I'll bite, and pick one up.

            Comment

            • #7
              SuperSet
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2007
              • 9048

              One thing that I've noticed is that the CMR reticule is very thin and the illumination is green. However, the illumination was much too weak to see in bright daylight so it got lost pretty easily while you're moving. The TAC-30 has the same problem with illumination washing out in bright daylight but the reticule is larger and heavier so you can still see it. It's a shame too because I think the CMR has the better reticule.

              Comment

              • #8
                MilitaryArms
                Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 242

                The CMR is available in either red or green (I have both).

                I see no point to daylight illumination, but that's just me although lots of people feel that way hence the rarity of it.

                There was a lot of thought put into the reticle of the CMR. I've met the engineer that deigned it and shot some of the various prototypes. It draws your eye to the target and it assists your eye in centering things. It's a surprisingly fast sight to use yet the reticle is fine enough for precision work.

                I've read very few negative reviews of the sight. Even big dogs like Frank over at the Snipers Hide spoke highly of it, and he shoots some very high end optics usually.

                Buy from Midway. If you don't like it, return it for something else. But I have a feeling you'll love it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  MrPlink
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 12532

                  the reticle is pretty quick to draw your eye. I ran it at 1x and was picking off tin cans and bottles at 40yds about as fast as I would with a red dot
                  The California Moderate Centrist Militia member in exile

                  disclaimer:
                  everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    goodlookin1
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2557

                    I'm one of those negative guys on the CMR. I've used it on my friends rifle. Then I bought a Vortex PST 1-4x for my .308 AR. Night and day difference, IMO. Maybe I turned instant optics snob once I got that, but wow could I see a difference between the two. I couldnt go back.

                    I suggest if you want to save money, dont look through higher end scopes....especially side by side. But in my opinion, for a bit more you can have the Vortex and I doubt you would regret the decision.

                    Having said that, I'm sure if I lined up an even higher end scope next to my Vortex, I would see the difference and couldnt go back to the Vortex! So at this point, I'm choosing to stay naive/ignorant by avoiding looking at/through expensive scopes
                    www.FirearmReviews.net

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      squee116
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 984

                      Sometimes I'm thankful for the 10 days to prepare things for my rifle... Other times, I slap myself for being a moron and want to fondle the gun.

                      Optics is so based on preference, it's hard to want to spend 300 to 400 without being able to peek through the scopes. California stinks. Even a Cabela's or Bass Pro shop could probably help clear up a lot of my questions. Is there any shop near Ventura that stocks this kind of stuff? I've not heard of one in my 23 years here.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SuperSet
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 9048

                        Ammo Brothers in Cerritos has some. Your best bet is to visit your local 3-gun match and see what the competitors are using and ask to look through their optics. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you. Piru X3 (x3mutigun.com) is close to you.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          CSTactical
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 4092

                          Another good one for the price is the Weaver Tac line. We stock Vortex, Weaver, Burris and more so if we can be of help feel free to ask.



                          Mike @ CST
                          Dealer for Zero Compromise Optic, Tangent Theta, Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, Aimpoint, Desert Tech, Swarovski and more...
                          Call 916-670-1103 for Calguns pricing
                          www.cstactical.com
                          sales@cstactical.com
                          916-670-1103

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cavemanlrrp
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 1170

                            I have the Tac 30 1-4. Have only had it out 3 or 4 times. Also don't have a lot off experience with scopes in general, so for what it's worth.

                            The glass seams very clear and has no edge distortion. 30mm tube and coating seam plenty bright. Eye relief works well on an AR platform and has a little wiggle room. All adjustments are smooth and good clicks on elevation and windage.

                            The reticle illumination, as mentioned, washes in very bright sun light, but when it is that bright out the unilluminated reticle is very easy to pick up.
                            As example. In a, first light to evening, day at the range. I only noticed wash at 1 or 2 in afternoon.

                            Over half of the time I've used this scope it has been prone off a bi-pod out to 200. The dot will cover a one inch target bull at that range. So very precise work is tough, But even my poor shooting keeps things inside 5" or 6" which works for me.
                            I use a 50-200 type zero and was shooting 75, 77 gr. So don't know how close the BDCs are. The recitle set up worked well for a 100yrd hold under too.

                            Close up, on 1x the recitle is very easy to get on target with, illuminated or not. Not as fast as my Eotec, but then I haven't worked with it as much. With some practice I'm sure it can be plenty fast.

                            When I was shopping for a 1-4 I looked at most of the usual suspects in my/your price range. One of the things I liked about the Tac 30 was the low profile covered turrets. Didn't want the tall exposed target type turrets for this application, less chance to get hung up on gear.

                            I picked up some Butler Creek covers for it and it's GTG. It dos the intended job well and left some seed money for other stuff.
                            For 3 bills I don't think you well be disappointed.

                            Best
                            caveman
                            A mans words may paint a pretty picture, but his actions show his true colors.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              squee116
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 984

                              Thanks for the input Caveman.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1