Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sighting in scope

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sportsman
    Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 352

    Sighting in scope

    Hi i have a semi auto 30/06 that i put a scope on can some one tell me if there is a inexpensive boresighting tool for this. checked around and the laser ones got poor reviews thank you todd
  • #2
    maxicon
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 4661

    Can you pull the bolt out and sight down the barrel? If so, you can boresight it easily with no gear at all.

    Here's how you'd do it on an AR, but it's the same for any rifle you can sight down the barrel on:


    Remove the upper, pull the B/C/CH, and prop it up on something solid that can be shifted around. I usually use a pile of books with a towel over them.



    Sight down the barrel and line it up with something easy to spot. I'm using the mirror ball in my back yard.



    Adjust the scope so the crosshairs are centered on the same thing as the barrel.



    Go back and forth a few times to make sure nothing's shifted. This'll get you on the paper and you can dial it in from there.
    sigpic
    NRA Life Member

    Comment

    • #3
      sportsman
      Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 352

      semiauto cant do that thanks

      Comment

      • #4
        uscbigdawg
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2007
        • 1869

        ^^^ Brilliant contribution.

        To the OP, good write up. It's not "exact" but like you said, gets you on paper and adjust. Don't own a boresighter, have never used a boresighter, and don't forsee one coming in the future. If I can get on paper at 25, I'll dial from there....it's a scope after all with knobs and everything.

        Rich
        "Speed is a tactic!" - R.W.

        "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

        "The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham

        Comment

        • #5
          Divernhunter
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 8753

          Here you go. Mount scope. Check to see turrets are centered. Go to range and use a rest(sandbags/mechincal etc) and shoot one shot from about 25 yards, adjust scope, shoot again and adjust if very far off. Once it is close, but can be shooting high, move back and shoot it again. Once you are close you can shoot groups for fine adjustment.

          Whatever you do don't start at 100 yards even if "bore-sighted) as you can waste much ammo.
          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

          Comment

          • #6
            ronas
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 758

            To make sure the scope is not canted one way or the other you hang a string with a weight at the bottom so you now have a reference point for vertical position. Then turn your scope right or left in the rings until the vertical crosshair in your scope lines up perfectly with the vertical string. Now you are vertical with the world as far as the scope goes. If you have a bubble level you can attach it now so you will alway be able to have the reticle vertical, i.e., not canted one way or the other.


            I use that reddish pink string you can get at home depot. I find I can see it best.

            Comment

            • #7
              lewdogg21
              Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
              • May 2009
              • 10369

              Good stuff here. I did the AR style fix like above and then I had to mount and guess with my lever action Marlin 336 .35 rem.

              I started both out at 50 yards last weekend and got both on paper and decently sighted in then I moved my target to 100 yards. If you can start at 25 yards you might save a couple shots. I suggest using a lead sled or something like it unless your a rock solid bench shooter. I'm not so I trust my lead sled to get my rifle sighted in and then I can work on fixing myself when I know it's not my gun.
              Originally posted by jmonte35
              Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
              .

              Comment

              • #8
                Matt P
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2006
                • 3101

                I have one of these and for a rifle which you can not look down the bore, this is an excellent alternative.
                Laser Bore

                Do this at night, as the laser is in-expensive, and you will easily see the dot.




                Good Luck..
                My WTB of Anything Glock 1-2 Generation, Tupperware, Manuals or Parts. Press Me

                Comment

                • #9
                  negolien
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 4829

                  I had a sighter similar to that where you stuffed the end in the barrel and then turned it so it expanded. Piece of Crap got stuck in my barrel lol. the only way to unexpand it is also the way it loosens the adaptor from the major laser piece. Really lacking design cocept to me.Took me like twenty mins to get it out.
                  "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                  George Orwell

                  http://www.AnySoldier.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1