Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What scope for 3-gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    randy
    In Memoriam
    • Nov 2006
    • 4642

    try www.cdnninvestments.com
    I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

    When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

    Comment

    • #17
      randy
      In Memoriam
      • Nov 2006
      • 4642

      I shot the Meopta scope after the macth in Oregon this weekend and it's my next scope.
      I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

      When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

      Comment

      • #18
        aznglocker
        Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 173

        The Simmons model 7791D 1.5-5x20 scope has been discontinued. Ever since Benny Hill says he uses one on his rifle everyone started buying them up. They do have another model similar but the field of view is not as large.

        Comment

        • #19
          PLINK
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 1773

          Originally posted by 3GunFunShooter
          Ok, here is the new hot ticket in 3 gun scopes. Trying to keep it quiet, but I'm such a good guy. I have one on order, and so do several 3 gun shooters I know, yes we all run the Simmons. So far it looks like a great set up.
          First reviews are good, as with price. Could be the HOLY GRAIL of 3 gun scopes. Check it out. Can't wait to get mine.

          You can thank me later.
          Can you post a review of this optic when you get it, especially after shooting some IPSC targets with it.

          I am currently looking into scopes for 3 gun and this one seems very interesting. I like the ranging features which some of the other favorites do not have. The Trijicon http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...0&categoryID=5 was my first choice but I may have to wait and see how this one pans out.

          TIA

          Comment

          • #20
            randy
            In Memoriam
            • Nov 2006
            • 4642

            On the Meopta it is a true 1x and the reticle isn't busy. It looked clear and the reticle was small enough and very crisp. With a little work it will work good for hold overs and not cover up your target. It shuts off between power settings and goes to black if turned off or your batteries die. About the same size as an Accupoint.

            The one I shot was mounted in a PRI mount which doesn't seem as sturdy as the LaRue I'm using now, but it does look to mount the scope lower and I'm not using my mount to jack up cars.

            I won a $250. certificate for the purchase of a Scope so that makes it a little easier to decide. I'll test one a bit more before I decide.

            Good luck
            I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

            When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

            Comment

            • #21
              gose
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3953

              Originally posted by randy
              On the Meopta it is a true 1x and the reticle isn't busy. It looked clear and the reticle was small enough and very crisp. With a little work it will work good for hold overs and not cover up your target. It shuts off between power settings and goes to black if turned off or your batteries die. About the same size as an Accupoint.
              The one I shot was mounted in a PRI mount which doesn't seem as sturdy as the LaRue I'm using now, but it does look to mount the scope lower and I'm not using my mount to jack up cars.
              I won a $250. certificate for the purchase of a Scope so that makes it a little easier to decide. I'll test one a bit more before I decide.
              Good luck
              I'm using an Armalite mount for my Meopta, been treating me good so far
              With Oden on our side.

              Comment

              • #22
                1911jerry
                Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 176

                Originally posted by aznglocker
                The Simmons model 7791D 1.5-5x20 scope has been discontinued. Ever since Benny Hill says he uses one on his rifle everyone started buying them up. They do have another model similar but the field of view is not as large.
                Benny is now using the Meopta K-Dot. I was at his shop specing out my AR 15 this Friday. I asked to see his AR, That scope is awesome.

                JS
                I am the Gun Whisperer.....

                Comment

                • #23
                  Prc329
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 5603

                  After using the scope today at the fruit shoot I think the Millet would make a good 3 gun scope.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    PLINK
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 1773

                    I am pretty new to using optics but how do you range with the Meopta K-Dot for 3 gun?

                    Say you set your zero for 100 yards, what do you do for the stuff that is closer or farther away? Other optics have multiple markings on the reticle.
                    Last edited by PLINK; 07-25-2007, 9:50 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      randy
                      In Memoriam
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 4642

                      I haven't gotten to use the Meopta at distance yet just a hoser stage. I mailed my check away yesterday so I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

                      The Meopta has a circle and a fine line just below it to use for ranging.

                      With a 100 yard zero you will be low on targets at 200 yards maybe a couple of inches, at 300 yards maybe 6 inches low or even more. So I wouldn't zero my rifle at 100 for 3 gun, I'd zero it at 200 to 250 yds. With a 200 yard zero you'll be an inch to 2 inches high at 100 yards and at 300 yards you'll be 3 inches or so low.

                      It's 5:15 am the above info could be tainted a bit.

                      With my Accupoint on a 17" MSTN using 75 grain ammo and a 200 yd zero I hold center from 40 yards to 200 yards and make hits. Remember you'll be shooting steel past 50 yards. At 300 yards hold at the top of the target, at 400 yards I'd put the bottom of the triangle on top of the target and it would hit. The problem with the Accupoint or added difficulty was the big post on the bottom of the triangle would cover up your target so you had to take a bit longer.

                      In side of 40 yards I put the top of the triangle at the top of a IPSC a/b zone and drop into the "B" zone and I haven't hit any no shoots. With a practice you figure out how much above the A/B zone you can hold and make A zone hits.

                      I'm hoping the Meopta will work better. If not then back to the Accupoint and sell the Meopta.

                      Good luck
                      I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                      When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ShooterMcGavin
                        Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 242

                        I've been using a Leupold CQT MK IV 1-3x scope for 3-gun for the past few years. It's great at 1x for close range shooting, and dials quickly up to 3x for long range shots.

                        "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          randy
                          In Memoriam
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 4642

                          Plink

                          I just started working with my Meopta. It is zeroed at 50 yards which should give me a 200 yd zero. I shot it at 300 yards and it was 6 inches low.

                          I know it sounds weird but I can shoot 50 100 300 or 560 yards but not 200 or 400 and the 560 is only once in a while.

                          I have alot of work to do still. I'm going to another range to get more data. My hope is to use the dot to 200 and the line for targets farther but I'm not sure yet.

                          Work will keep me away from doing more testing before the CA series in Bakersfield.
                          I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                          When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            New Shooter II
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 47

                            I am still looking for the Simmons 7791 in the LA/OC/IE areas.

                            thanks,
                            _____________________________________________
                            www.ssashooter.net
                            Calguns
                            Glock Talk
                            www.madtrigger.com Forum
                            _____________________________________________
                            Glock 35
                            Wilson Combat, Scatterguns Technology, Remington 870
                            Stag AR-15

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              gose
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3953

                              Originally posted by randy
                              Plink

                              I just started working with my Meopta. It is zeroed at 50 yards which should give me a 200 yd zero. I shot it at 300 yards and it was 6 inches low.

                              I know it sounds weird but I can shoot 50 100 300 or 560 yards but not 200 or 400 and the 560 is only once in a while.

                              I have alot of work to do still. I'm going to another range to get more data. My hope is to use the dot to 200 and the line for targets farther but I'm not sure yet.

                              Work will keep me away from doing more testing before the CA series in Bakersfield.
                              +1 on that.

                              zeroed at 50y, back at zero at slightly over 200 and tops around 150y at a little over 1.5".
                              With Oden on our side.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                New Shooter II
                                Junior Member
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 47

                                In the 1.5-5x20 or 1.5-5x32 scope, is the last number the length of the scope? What is the difference?


                                Don
                                _____________________________________________
                                www.ssashooter.net
                                Calguns
                                Glock Talk
                                www.madtrigger.com Forum
                                _____________________________________________
                                Glock 35
                                Wilson Combat, Scatterguns Technology, Remington 870
                                Stag AR-15

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1