Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Measuring target distance with MRAD

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Blackhawk556
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 4202

    Measuring target distance with MRAD

    I?ve been watching several videos on MRAD and all of them state to measure the object size and then multiple by 27.77 dividend by MIL

    My question is, based on this picture, do I measure the entire size of the object?
    The two sizes will give me different distance of the object




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
    "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"
  • #2
    smoothy8500
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 3846

    Do you measure your weiner from the top or the bottom, cuz they both give different lengths....

    Comment

    • #3
      Blackhawk556
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 4202

      Both measurements give me different distance


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
      "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

      Comment

      • #4
        G-forceJunkie
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2010
        • 6479

        Measure the biggest object you can for a more accurate measurment. That light fixture is way too small. Measure a door frame, person standing, heigth of a roof line, etc. Something you can measure or accuratly guestimate the height.

        Comment

        • #5
          smoothy8500
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 3846

          Originally posted by Blackhawk556
          My question is, based on this picture, do I measure the entire size of the object?
          The two sizes will give me different distance of the object
          If you can readily see the entire object:Front door, car height, average male height, IPSC silhouette, etc, then measure it with the reticle and plug-in known measurements in feet, meters or yards.

          Your light for example: globe only is 12 inches (1 foot) shows as .2 mil or let us say: Light total with spire is 24 inches (2 feet) and shows as .4 mil

          Now do the calcs.

          Comment

          • #6
            Mute
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 8596

            1. Try to find the biggest thing you can measure.
            2. Stick with items that have consistent, known sizes like: door/window frames, traffic signs...etc.
            3. Try to take measurement on items with hard, definable edges that are easy to see

            The further away your targets are, the higher likelihood you'll have of stacking error and getting a less than accurate result. The different result you're getting is a result of all these compounding errors. How certain are you of the accuracy of your numbers for the object size and of your accuracy in measuring how many mils it's actually covering.
            NRA Benefactor Life Member
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


            American Marksman Training Group
            Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

            Comment

            • #7
              Blackhawk556
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 4202

              Originally posted by Mute
              1. Try to find the biggest thing you can measure.
              2. Stick with items that have consistent, known sizes like:

              - door/window frames
              - traffic signs
              - items with hard, definable edges

              The further away your targets are, the higher likelihood you'll have of stacking error and getting a less than accurate result. The different result you're getting is a result of all these compounding errors. How certain are you of the accuracy of your numbers for the object size and of your accuracy in measuring how many mils it's actually covering.

              I measured the lamp from top to bottom at 15?

              I pointed scope at my neighbors lamp which is at more than 100 yards away but when I count the mils i get 99yards away or 166 yards away depending on my measurement that I use (point 1 or 2 on the picture)


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
              "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

              Comment

              • #8
                kcheung2
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2012
                • 4387

                You measure whatever you want, as long as you know the actual length.

                What is the height in inches from the bottom of the lamp to 2? What is the distance from bottom to 1? Viewed through the scope, how tall in mils is your neighbor's lamp? (bottom to 2 and bottom to 1)I'm assuming your lamp pictured is the same as your neighbor's.

                edit: and to make sure we're all on the same page, your scope is a first focal plane, right?
                Last edited by kcheung2; 06-22-2023, 3:23 PM.
                ---------------------
                "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

                Comment

                • #9
                  Blackhawk556
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4202

                  Originally posted by kcheung2
                  You measure whatever you want, as long as you know the actual length.

                  What is the height in inches from the bottom of the lamp to 2? What is the distance from bottom to 1? Viewed through the scope, how tall in mils is your neighbor's lamp? (bottom to 2 and bottom to 1)I'm assuming your lamp pictured is the same as your neighbor's.

                  edit: and to make sure we're all on the same page, your scope is a first focal plane, right?

                  Yes its first focal plane.

                  The bottom to top measures 15 inches.

                  The bottom to number 2 is 10 inches

                  Something just crossed my mind that I think I messed up big time.

                  It measures 4.2 Mils

                  Am I supposed the measure the height of the object (floor to the top of the lamp)?


                  Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
                  "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mute
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 8596

                    Originally posted by Blackhawk556
                    Yes its first focal plane.

                    The bottom to top measures 15 inches.

                    The bottom to number 2 is 10 inches

                    Something just crossed my mind that I think I messed up big time.

                    It measures 4.2 Mils

                    Am I supposed the measure the height of the object (floor to the top of the lamp)?


                    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Is does not matter what you measure as long as it is something of known size. Also your distance from the object matters quite a bit as any error in measure will get compounded over distance. Mis-measuing by 0.1 mil at 100 yards is a lot different than mis-measuring 0.1 mil at 800 yards. I assume, based on what you're getting, that 4.2 mil on the lamp is from bottom to top of 1? How many mils are you getting for bottom to top of 2?
                    Last edited by Mute; 06-23-2023, 10:12 AM.
                    NRA Benefactor Life Member
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


                    American Marksman Training Group
                    Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kcheung2
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 4387

                      Originally posted by Blackhawk556
                      Yes its first focal plane.

                      The bottom to top measures 15 inches.

                      The bottom to number 2 is 10 inches

                      Something just crossed my mind that I think I messed up big time.

                      It measures 4.2 Mils


                      Am I supposed the measure the height of the object (floor to the top of the lamp)?


                      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Like what Mute and I are trying to get at,

                      what measures 4.2 mils?. Is that the height from base to 2? Or base to 1? what is "it"? You need to show your math.

                      You are not "supposed" to measure anything specifically, you can measure anything you want. Like others have said, it's easier to measure things that are easily discernable at a distance. If you want to, you could measure the height starting at 19.3 inches above the ground to the midpoint of the curvature of the glass portion. As long as you measure the correct mil distance of those 2 points it will work.

                      In practice you'd want to pick easily definable objects that won't blur with distance. For example the total height of the lamp (1) is a better choice than trying to measure the base to 2 (which would be difficult to discern at greater distances, esp considering the same-colored baseplate behind it would obscure the curvature in a heat mirage) Or as others have said, even better choices would be the height of the garage door, the width of a house door, a 36" round steel plate, etc. At 100 yds or even 300 yds it's not a big deal but at longer distances trying to pick out the details like the curvature of a lamp is going to be much harder.
                      Last edited by kcheung2; 06-23-2023, 1:49 PM.
                      ---------------------
                      "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Blackhawk556
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4202

                        Originally posted by Mute
                        Is does not matter what you measure as long as it is something of known size. Also your distance from the object matters quite a bit as any error in measure will get compounded over distance. Mis-measuing by 0.1 mil at 100 yards is a lot different than mis-measuring 0.1 mil at 800 yards. I assume, based on what you're getting, that 4.2 mil on the lamp is from bottom to top of 1? How many mils are you getting for bottom to top of 2?

                        Yes it?s 4.2 Mils from the bottom to the very top (1)

                        I?ll have to measure again the Mils from bottom to (2)


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
                        "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kcheung2
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • 4387

                          Given that the base to 1 is 4.1 mils,
                          the base to 2 should be about 2.8/2.9 mils.

                          here's the math:

                          base to 1:
                          (15" x 27.77)/4.2 mils = 99 yds

                          the equation I prefer is
                          (1.25 ft x 1000)/4.2 mils = 297 ft or 99 yds

                          backfilling the equation to get the mil height of base to 2,
                          x mils = (10*27.75)/99 yds = approx 2.8 miis

                          The 166 yards you mention is, I presume, both a typo and a miscalculation. I think you meant 66 yards, and that is because you used
                          (10*27.77)/4.2 =66 yds

                          The mistake is the 10 inches is the height from base to 2, while the 4.2 mil subtension is the height from base to 1. Which goes back to what everyone's been saying, it doesn't matter what exactly you measure, as long as you measure the same thing.

                          The correct equation for measuring base to 2 is
                          (10"*27.77)/2.8 mils = 99 yds
                          Last edited by kcheung2; 06-23-2023, 2:53 PM.
                          ---------------------
                          "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Blackhawk556
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4202

                            Originally posted by kcheung2
                            Given that the base to 1 is 4.1 mils,
                            the base to 2 should be about 2.8/2.9 mils.

                            here's the math:

                            base to 1:
                            (15" x 27.77)/4.2 mils = 99 yds

                            the equation I prefer is
                            (1.25 ft x 1000)/4.2 mils = 297 ft or 99 yds

                            backfilling the equation to get the mil height of base to 2,
                            x mils = (10*27.75)/99 yds = approx 2.8 miis

                            The 166 yards you mention is, I presume, both a typo and a miscalculation. I think you meant 66 yards, and that is because you used
                            (10*27.77)/4.2 =66 yds

                            The mistake is the 10 inches is the height from base to 2, while the 4.2 mil subtension is the height from base to 1. Which goes back to what everyone's been saying, it doesn't matter what exactly you measure, as long as you measure the same thing.

                            The correct equation for measuring base to 2 is
                            (10"*27.77)/2.8 mils = 99 yds

                            I think you?re right. I think I left the 4.2Mils in the equation when measuring from base to 2.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
                            "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1