Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Update: Zeroing And Subtensions, Calibration Distance?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tony270
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 3345

    Update: Zeroing And Subtensions, Calibration Distance?

    If the rifle is zeroed by shooting at a target 50 yards away, and the bullet trajectory is known, can the zero be changed to 100 or 200 yard without shooting using the elevation adjustment?

    The reason that I ask is that the subtension hash marks are calibrated at 200 yards. The rifle is zeroed at 50 yards, but I can't get a quarter size shot group with a 6 power scope at 200 yards
    (vortex razor 1-6x24 hd gen2 jm-1 bdc reticle, with 20 moa cantilever mount, on an REC-7 DI 5.56 AR).

    I need a spotting scope, but until then I will exercise to check my targets, that's why I didn't take anymore shots.

    Here's where I'm aiming with the 50 yard shooting zero (red crosshair), at this 400 yard target, and where the the rounds are hitting ( blue circle area, low and in front of the target). If I could dial-in the 200 yard zero using the known trajectory, I could simply use the subtension for 400 yards, instead of Kentucky Windage, is that how it works?



    The blue pointer is a 100 yard target, the red pointer is the 400 yard target.
    .


    A view from the target, to the shooting position (oom in to see).

    Last edited by tony270; 01-10-2020, 1:27 PM.
  • #2
    SAD338
    Banned
    • Mar 2018
    • 580

    For the Razor, I usually zeroed at 50 yards and then fine tuned at 200 yards. And even then, it's not a quarter sized group. More like 2" using 77gr SMKs.

    Comment

    • #3
      smoothy8500
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 3846

      I quit using 50yd or 25yd "zero's" a long time ago since they always were a ballpark estimation. Confirm everything at the instructed distance (200yds for you) even if it's a 3-4" group. In theory, it should be correct (so many mil or MOA up for 200) but even if you adjusted the scope based on your 50yd results, it is still a guestimation of results at distance. It's worth making a poor man's Shoot 'n See target with bright colored cardboard, packing tape, and black paint to see your impacts even with a spotting scope.
      Last edited by smoothy8500; 02-16-2019, 9:11 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        HK Dave
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2008
        • 5737

        Do you have software that helps with this like Ballistic, TRASOL, Bulletflight? It might shine some light on your question.

        Comment

        • #5
          lordmorgul
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Jul 2016
          • 1203

          Comment

          • #6
            lordmorgul
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Jul 2016
            • 1203

            Based on pic #1, you have a reticle hold off center so assume windy day, and target hits with quite a bit of horizontal stringing so likely not a steady breeze.. I think maybe you just need to go shoot again?


            Andrew - Lancaster, CA
            NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member

            Comment

            • #7
              Mute
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2005
              • 8596

              Always confirm at the distances you intend to shoot. Even if the theory is correct, nothing beats hard, real world data. Also, regarding group sizes, are you certain that:

              1. Your gun is capable of the groups you wish to see
              2. Are you capable of shooting those groups at those distances

              My own experience with the Vortex HD II 1-6x is that the bdc reticle is fairly spot on. I used mine with a 50 yard zero.
              NRA Benefactor Life Member
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


              American Marksman Training Group
              Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

              Comment

              • #8
                HooYah
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2005
                • 1575

                I zero mostly everything at 100 yards. With the Tremor/Christmas Tree reticles, it's all holds anyways, so I'll use a ballistic calculator to get my DOPE.

                Comment

                • #9
                  tony270
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 3345

                  I want to thank each and everyone that replied, it all helped me.

                  Hi lordmorgul, this is my setup:
                  Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 JM-1 BDC reticle, mounted with a Vortex Precision 20 MOA Fordward Cantilever Mount, shooting a Barrett REC-7 DI 5.56 AR.

                  I walked off the distance, one thing I noteed is that the flight path takes round about 2 feet or so from the ground as it travels to the target, this happeneds about 40 yards away from the target. Being so close to the ground, I don't know if that makes the round float a bit. When I aimed on the bullseye, it looked like and sand was flying high and right of the target, and when I went and looked I could in fact tell that by the marks on the sand. I adjusted, and the sand started flying in front of the target. I adjusted again until the sand stopped flying, at that point I knew that I was hitting paper.

                  I need to download the app, and I need splatter targets and spotting scope. I'm using Federal American Eagle Factory ammunition, so I know the bullet fps and trajectory characteristics, would I still need a chronograph? The target could be farther, I need a range finder, that's for sure. The breeze was maybe 3 mph, from right to left.

                  Could I use this ballistics calculator from Federal, that's the ammunition that I using?



                  I can shoot a 4", 3 shot shot-group at 200 for that zero, then pick a application software, yes, 50 yards is the battle zero that I have used.

                  Thanks Again.
                  Last edited by tony270; 02-19-2019, 8:12 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mute
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 8596

                    Originally posted by tony270
                    I want to thank each and everyone that replied, it all helped me.

                    Hi lordmorgul, this is my setup:
                    Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 JM-1 BDC reticle, mounted with a Vortex Precision 20 MOA Fordward Cantilever Mount, shooting a Barrett REC-7 DI 5.56 AR.

                    I walked off the distance, one thing I noteed is that the flight path takes round about 2 feet or so from the ground as it travels to the target, this happeneds about 40 yards away from the target. Being so close to the ground, I don't know if that makes the round float a bit. When I aimed on the bullseye, it looked like and sand was flying high and right of the target, and when I went and looked I could in fact tell that by the marks on the sand. I adjusted, and the sand started flying in front of the target. I adjusted again until the sand stopped flying, at that point I knew that I was hitting paper.

                    I need to download the app, and I need splatter targets and spotting scope. I'm using Federal American Eagle Factory ammunition, so I know the bullet fps and trajectory characteristics, would I still need a chronograph? The target could be farther, I need a range finder, that's for sure. The breeze was maybe 3 mph, from right to left.

                    Could I use this ballistics calculator from Federal, that's the ammunition that I using?



                    I can shoot a 4", 3 shot shot-group at 200 for that zero, then pick a application software, yes, 50 yards is the battle zero that I have used.

                    Thanks Again.
                    Use JBM for the ballistic calculations.
                    NRA Benefactor Life Member
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


                    American Marksman Training Group
                    Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      lordmorgul
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Jul 2016
                      • 1203

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        lordmorgul
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        • Jul 2016
                        • 1203

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tony270
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 3345

                          So I went back out and retested the subtension lines for 400 yards. I shot 10 rounds and 8 hit the 12 in target at 400 yards using the correct hash mark for that range, 50 yard zero, 16" Carbine, clam conditions, 20 MOA mount. The Vortex set-up on the REC-7 DI is almost as good as it gets.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            k1dude
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2009
                            • 15970

                            Off topic, but I would suggest a better place to shoot. You have no observable backstop. Who knows where those bullets are going. I would suggest getting much closer to those those hills in the background.
                            "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                            "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              tony270
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 3345

                              I can see the bullets drop in the sand dune, I can also see beyond the dune all the way to the hills. You can't see the true perspective in a picture, always know my target and what's beyond it (the backstop).

                              Thanks

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1