Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Optic for 18" 308 AR, suggestions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The Tiger
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 1989

    Optic for 18" 308 AR, suggestions?

    I just need an optic and weighing my options. Maybe I haven't considered something and I was hoping that you could make a suggestion. Maybe I'm off base here so I don't mind critique.

    Rifle will be a backup hunting gun/range toy. It has good components like 2 stage trigger and Faxon barrel.

    So I like lower magnification on the lower end. No more than 3x for the lowest magnification but would prefer 1x or 2x. I want the higher end magnification to be sufficient to use at longer distances. I'm thinking 4x may not be enough.

    I like reticles with built in range marks like a Mildot or BDC.

    Budget it $800 and under. For now...

    Right now the top of my list is the Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS. Looking at Vortex's Strike Eagle 1-8 I like the Primary Arms reticle more.

    I am using a Leupold Mark AR 3-9 Mildot on my other rifle and I do like that.

    I like the Burris Veracity 2-10 FFP, sounds good on paper

    I like the Burris MTAC 1.5-6 as well

    Would a 2-7x scope work well for an AR platform, they tend to have smaller objective lenses?

    I wish I had unlimited money because I see some really killer options in the high end scopes. I don't see myself spending more than 800 though
    Last edited by The Tiger; 09-06-2017, 1:54 PM.
    sigpic
    NRA Benefactor
    CRPA Life Member
    GOA Member
  • #2
    CSTactical
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Sep 2007
    • 4094

    We have some good options in stock or on the way for around that price, please call 916.670.1103 and we can guide you to your best option.
    Dealer for Zero Compromise Optic, Tangent Theta, Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, Aimpoint, Desert Tech, Swarovski and more...
    Call 916-670-1103 for Calguns pricing
    www.cstactical.com
    sales@cstactical.com
    916-670-1103

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      ExtremeX
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 7160

      I think something like this on a rifle like that would be very much at home...



      I know you can find a Gen 1 under your budget, but PST scopes can be found for some pretty good deals if you are lucky to catch a sale... sale pricing I suspect might be right in line with your budget.

      I would consider other brands, but I do like the smaller 2-10x or 1-6x 1-8x type scopes. I think you are on the right track.
      Last edited by ExtremeX; 09-06-2017, 3:00 PM.
      ExtremeX

      Comment

      • #4
        CSTactical
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Sep 2007
        • 4094

        Originally posted by ExtremeX
        I think something like this on a rifle like that would be very much at home...



        I know you can find a Gen 1 under your budget, but PST scopes can be found for some pretty good deals if you are lucky to catch a sale... sale pricing I suspect might be right in line with your budget.

        I would consider other brands, but I do like the smaller 2-10x or 1-6x 1-8x type scopes. I think you are on the right track.

        We have that Vortex 2-10x32 coming in this week Call 916.670.1103 for Calguns price.
        Last edited by CSTactical; 09-06-2017, 3:11 PM.
        Dealer for Zero Compromise Optic, Tangent Theta, Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, Aimpoint, Desert Tech, Swarovski and more...
        Call 916-670-1103 for Calguns pricing
        www.cstactical.com
        sales@cstactical.com
        916-670-1103

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          crufflers
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2011
          • 12723

          Originally posted by The Tiger
          Right now the top of my list is the Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS. Looking at Vortex's Strike Eagle 1-8 I like the Primary Arms reticle more.

          I am using a Leupold Mark AR 3-9 Mildot on my other rifle and I do like that.
          That Leupold is pretty nice. I have the non-firedot version. Consider a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6 or a Burris RT-6.

          Comment

          • #6
            Brush Guard
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2015
            • 888

            Originally posted by crufflers
            That Leupold is pretty nice. I have the non-firedot version. Consider a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6 or a Burris RT-6.
            These are my top two choices for my 18" .308, AR.

            Just waiting for a good sale.

            Comment

            • #7
              crufflers
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jul 2011
              • 12723

              Maybe save up gift cards for the Leupold VX-3i LRP TMR FFP 8.5-25X50mm - around $700 or $600 if there's another extra 10% off code special.

              Comment

              • #8
                crufflers
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2011
                • 12723

                Originally posted by Brush Guard
                These are my top two choices for my 18" .308, AR.

                Just waiting for a good sale.
                You could get the Burris RT-6 around $330 often on EBAY from a good seller if you don't want to wait.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ch3ck5ix
                  Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 214

                  On my 16" 308AR I have the Primary Arms 1-8 and on the 20" 308AR I have the PA 4-14 -- love the ACSS reticle!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Horrendo Revolver
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2015
                    • 1013

                    The Burris Veracity is a great scope. I like 2-7s on 30-30's and ARs. For me a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 would be perfect on that rifle. It doesn't come with the reticle you like though.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Kwikvette
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2015
                      • 3704

                      Reaching the top of your budget, you can score a Burris XTR II (they come in different ranges) and even offer FFP. You'll need to search and catch a sale for a good price, otherwise buy one pre-owned.

                      They have a forever warranty, and have a higher quality glass than all those mentioned in the posts above me
                      Originally posted by longrange1
                      my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                      Originally posted by XDJYo
                      Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        robledo
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 978

                        I don't know if the issue is resolved with the newer 1-8s but fyi the two Primary Arms ACSS scopes I used to have were not daylight bright.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          scotty99
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 1184

                          Your first choice was the right one - get the PA with the ACSS reticle and don't look back. You'd have to spend 3X what that scope costs to get anything noticeably better.

                          I bought the 4-16 for my .308 AR as a budget starter while I saved up for a "real" scope. I've been so impressed with it I doubt I will ever replace it. Truly great value.


                          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            OpticsPlanet
                            Vendor/Retailer
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 2129

                            Here are some other options right around your budget to consider, although the PA Platinum 1-8x and Vortex PST 2-10x32 are both really great scopes

                            Sig Tango6 2-12x40

                            Leupold VX3i LRP 4.5-14x50 FFP

                            -Matt S.
                            CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

                            OpticsPlanet
                            http://www.opticsplanet.com
                            Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
                            Send us a private message if we can be of help!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1