Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Vortex optic advice for both a PS90 and FS2000

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • claylakers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 2807

    Vortex optic advice for both a PS90 and FS2000

    I've been looking into to options that my eyes are beginning to glaze over, so I thought I would ask Calguns for their opinions. I think I can get a decent discount on Vortex optics (~40% off retail), generally like their products, and really like their warranty, so for now I am sticking to selecting from their options.

    My current thinking is the PS90 will be a relatively close range weapon, I'm guessing 150 yards and in. I would like to stretch the FS2000 out a bit more (300 yards?) if feasible.

    Since the PS90's rail sits, so high I was thinking of either the 3 MOA Razor or 3 MOA Venom red dot. Does someone have experience with both of that would be able to advise if the Razor is worth spending the extra 40% or so on? Or are there other, better options I am overlooking?

    For the FS2000, I was tossing around the idea of using the Strikefire II, paired with the VMX-3T Magnifier. That would allow me to easily go from 1x to 3x depending on the distances involved.

    I freely admit, I not super experienced when it comes to selecting optics to any help would be greatly appreciated. Obviously if there is an optic from another company that you think is equally well suited and less money or better suited and similar cost-wise, please don't hesitate to suggest it.

    Thank you in advance, I appreciate the help.
  • #2
    peter95
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2488

    My suggestion is to goo with a variable powered scope.

    PST has a 1-4 thats pretty good but if yoh want more zoom, i would wait for the pst gen2 1-6.

    good luck!

    Comment

    • #3
      claylakers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 2807

      I assume you mean for the FS2000?

      BUMP for further input....thanks guys

      Comment

      • #4
        claylakers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 2807

        BUMP for further input....thanks guys

        Comment

        • #5
          penguin0123
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 3089

          They have the UH-1 coming out soon. And take a look at Trij 1.5x ACOG. It is great for outdoors where the FO lights up. Indoors, it isn't as good as an RDS.

          Another choice is the Aimpoint PRO: cheap and unkillable. If you want to spend a bit more, Aimpoint T1/2

          Comment

          • #6
            claylakers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2012
            • 2807

            BUMP for further input...

            Comment

            • #7
              ExtremeX
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 7160

              The second you said magnifier on an RDS I instantly wanted to recommend a 1-4x or 1-6x type scope.

              I tried to like magnifiers with RDS optics but they leave a lot to be desired... You basically get the worst of both worlds. RDS that isn't parallax free, has eye relief, and you get to magnify the dot itself. On top of that alignment issues always seem to always be present and if its a flip to side deal its always in the way... I would rather have a $500 Viper PST 1-4 than a legit $1000 Eotech setup even if I was getting it for free.

              The end user experience with a low power variable is a lot nicer when you actually want to target shoot with the thing.

              Even with a straight red dot its not that hard to use out to 100 yards by itself. Anything past that I rather shoot off an etched reticle anyways.

              For a straight RDS, pick your poison... They are pretty much all the same to me.
              Last edited by ExtremeX; 03-13-2017, 12:04 PM.
              ExtremeX

              Comment

              • #8
                claylakers
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2012
                • 2807

                Anyone have experience (good or bad) with the Vortex options mentioned above. Thanks again

                Comment

                • #9
                  OpticsPlanet
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2129

                  Vortex Razor Red Dot is really nice. If you plan to leave it on the PS90 for the most part then I would go with that.

                  The advantage of the Venom is that it is a common mounting pattern so you can move it to a pistol setup easier than the Razor Red Dot

                  I would go with a 1-4x or 1-6x for the FS2000 like others mentioned.

                  If you don't want variable power, look at the Spitfire AR. Comes with a BDC dial for the .223 which will easily get you out to several hundred yards.

                  -Matt S.
                  CalGunners: Take 5% off your order of $50 or more at OpticsPlanet by using coupon code CALGUNS! Some exclusions apply.

                  OpticsPlanet
                  http://www.opticsplanet.com
                  Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
                  Send us a private message if we can be of help!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    claylakers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 2807

                    Thanks for all the help guys! After reading your input I took the dive and ordered the Vortex 1-4x24 Viper PST for the FS2000. I am still debating on the red dot for the PS90 as I'm not entirely sure if it will be dedicated or not.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      claylakers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 2807

                      Anybody running a Vortex Razor on their PS90? Thoughts?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        claylakers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 2807

                        BUMP

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1