Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Safe size question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigpondonly
    Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 151

    Safe size question

    I'm looking for a quality safe for my gear. 3 AR's, 2 .22's, 2 shotguns, 6 handguns. I'm may be adding 1, maybe 2 more long guns. Any of you guys have experience with this Liberty safe and its volume? I'd like to keep all the long guns on one side, so as to retain the storage on the other. Should I just bite the bullet and get the 24 gun safe?http://www.westcoastsafes.com/libert...jqbib0bhtsr9e3

    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by bigpondonly; 11-10-2014, 9:42 AM.
  • #2
    VictorFranko
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2010
    • 13737

    I'm not familiar with that particular safe, but buy larger than you think you'll need. It will fill up quickly.
    Besides guns, I keep all smaller items of value (coins, cash, jewelry, cameras passports, insurance papers, etc.) in the safe. Doing this served me well when my house was burglarized last March, as the BG's got very little.

    Comment

    • #3
      CHIEFone
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2008
      • 960

      i agree with victor.
      id even say to go double the size you think you need.

      Comment

      • #4
        SonofWWIIDI
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 21583

        Originally posted by VictorFranko
        I'm not familiar with that particular safe, but buy larger than you think you'll need. It will fill up quickly.
        Besides guns, I keep all smaller items of value (coins, cash, jewelry, cameras passports, insurance papers, etc.) in the safe. Doing this served me well when my house was burglarized last March, as the BG's got very little.
        ^^This!!!
        Sorry, not sorry.
        🎺

        Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

        Comment

        • #5
          CNC_Apps_Guy
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jun 2013
          • 270

          I got a Cannon CA23 and I wish I would have gone up one or two sizes. Wifey about had a coronary with this one "what do you need a 'huge' safe like that for anyway?". Once I put my guns an valuables in it... It was like "oh".

          The screed above is my own personal optinion, not those of my employer, BSA, NRA, or anyone else for that matter.

          BSA Asst. Scoutmaster
          CGN Contributor
          CRPA Member
          FPC Member

          Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither. (paraphrased) - Benjamin Franklin

          Comment

          • #6
            glockman19
            Banned
            • Jun 2007
            • 10486

            Originally posted by VictorFranko
            I'm not familiar with that particular safe, but buy larger than you think you'll need. It will fill up quickly.
            Besides guns, I keep all smaller items of value (coins, cash, jewelry, cameras passports, insurance papers, etc.) in the safe. Doing this served me well when my house was burglarized last March, as the BG's got very little.
            I agree...Get the largest you can afford and have room for. They fill up quickly.

            Comment

            • #7
              1Snowball
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 644

              You can always grown into your safe. Get the biggest one you can afford. That being said when they say it's a "24" gun safe it's more like a 12 gun safe.

              Comment

              • #8
                Simi-Surfer
                Senior Member
                CGN Contributor
                • Dec 2012
                • 713

                I would double your expected needs at a minimum.
                "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]


                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  mountainmark
                  Member
                  • Feb 2014
                  • 180

                  i bought a Voyager 20 from Liberty, advertised as a 22 gun safe. i only have 6 long guns, various handguns and its a tight fit with the other things in there. Mine works for now, but i'll grow out of it in a few years....go as big as you can.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    REDdawn6
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 2447

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Khromo
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 742

                      "18 long gun capacity" means "maybe 15 skinny shotguns or lever actions with no scopes, but they will be pretty much squashed together in there."

                      AR's, scoped rifles, anything bigger than a slim gun with no scope mounted will take up two of the advertised capacity. You've just about used the entire long gun capacity of that safe already, meaning both sides.

                      This is one time where the "always do this" rule is absolutely right. Buy at least one size up, use the advertised capacity as a guideline after you divide it by two!

                      I wound up having to buy two, which worked out okay because after I bolted them together they make a very formidable load to try to drag out of the house.

                      The bigger safe, all things being equal, is much more secure for this reason. Crooks like to roll the safe out the door and take it to a secure location to get it open.
                      "Self defense is not a fashion show. A defensive handgun is not a little black dress, or a purse."
                      Remember, the overwhelming majority of anti-gun thinkers are not stupid enough to be "afraid of guns." They are afraid of stupid/immature/crazy psycho people with guns.
                      And as always, being friendly, courteous, and respectful is the easiest way to bend people to your will.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SkyHawk
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 23531

                        Another vote for buying much larger than you currently think you'll need...
                        Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Sabesimpson
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 1633

                          I bought a safe that I thought would be a perfect size, I thought it was at least 2x bigger then I needed. Boy was I wrong! When I bought I should have bought 6-10x bigger then I "thought" I would need. Btw my safe is a "34" gun safe suposedly. And trust me I don't have 34 guns not even close.
                          sigpic
                          Sent from a hand held device!
                          Apologies for any typos.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JDay
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19393

                            Originally posted by CHIEFone
                            i agree with victor.
                            id even say to go double the size you think you need.
                            And double that again because you will fill it faster than you think.
                            Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                            The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              dyson
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 4342

                              Get a Sturdy safe made in CA.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1