Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo storage in safe?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • anti
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 2098

    Ammo storage in safe?

    Hi, for the longest time I'd been using those plastic MTM .50 cal ammo cans to store my ammo. I now have a 24 gun safe and the .50 cal cans are too big since they're not letting me close the safe door. I was thinking of just downsizing to .30 cal ammo cans but before I buy a whole lot of them I was wondering if there were any other ammo cans that people preferred for storage in a safe. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Truckers make the world go 'round!

    Interested in shooting Olympic trap? Join CICTSA! (CA International Clay Target Shooting Association)
  • #2
    bsg
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 25954

    i keep very little ammo in the safe, and keep most ammo stored in various sized milsurp ammo boxes in separate locked areas of my home.

    Comment

    • #3
      slipknot95758
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 653

      I got q big plano tote off amazon for 25 great latches on top and lockable. Not water proof but I'm in a dry area

      Comment

      • #4
        KOOLKERRY
        Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 315

        Harbor Freight has some plastic ammo storage containers about as big as 30 cal cans and would work great for your needs. They are a little cheap but for stationary storing they work perfect and I think there only 6.99 ea. You can order them online also with around 6 bucks shipping.

        Hope this helps.
        California is where reality goes to die

        Comment

        • #5
          bsg
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 25954

          regarding storage containers for ammo, i eventually found myself interested in the ammo boxes/chests that i was using for ammo storage. at some point in the game, i realized that i had an ammo box collection.

          aside from storing ammo in milsurp ammo boxes, i do keep some ammo in a Stack-On locking cabinet that is located in a separate locked area of my home. that clears my safe for storing guns.

          Comment

          • #6
            dyson
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 4342

            Get one of these

            Comment

            • #7
              WCSafes
              Vendor/Retailer
              • May 2013
              • 109

              Job site lockers are a great idea like @dyson posted. An alternative; Liberty Safe offers an "ammo can." All shelves runs about $450, 60"H x 24"W x 20"D, 270lbs, one layer of fire board (maybe 15-20 min), US built

              Best,
              Brad
              West Coast Safes, Inc.
              Last edited by WCSafes; 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM.
              http://www.WestCoastSafes.com
              http://www.safeaccessories.com
              http://www.wcliberty.com

              Comment

              • #8
                Shasta Frog
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 740

                I have a 24 gun safe and the 50 cal ammo cans fit great with plenty of room to spare for the door to close. I have 4 in there so far. Hmmm

                I also have one of those plastic Harbor Freight 30 call ammo containers and they are a pretty good buy. Something like $3 with the coupon

                Comment

                • #9
                  johnthomas
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 7001

                  Originally posted by bsg
                  regarding storage containers for ammo, i eventually found myself interested in the ammo boxes/chests that i was using for ammo storage. at some point in the game, i realized that i had an ammo box collection.

                  aside from storing ammo in milsurp ammo boxes, i do keep some ammo in a Stack-On locking cabinet that is located in a separate locked area of my home. that clears my safe for storing guns.
                  This is what I have also. I have guns in my safe as well as ammo but I needed more space for ammo. I have the plano boxes.
                  I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    deviljon
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 2513

                    Originally posted by Shasta Frog
                    I have a 24 gun safe and the 50 cal ammo cans fit great with plenty of room to spare for the door to close. I have 4 in there so far. Hmmm

                    I also have one of those plastic Harbor Freight 30 call ammo containers and they are a pretty good buy. Something like $3 with the coupon
                    Got a picture? Sorry, just trying to get ideas.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Shasta Frog
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2012
                      • 740

                      Originally posted by deviljon
                      Got a picture? Sorry, just trying to get ideas.
                      IMG_1322.jpg

                      IMG_1323.jpg

                      This is my Cannon 24 gun safe. Works for me. Your results may vary

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Not a Cook
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • 1684

                        It's debatable, but many folks (including me) don't like the idea of storing ammo in a safe.

                        In case of a fire, I don't want hot gasses from the ammo harming everything else in the safe. I also don't like the idea of the safe potentially (depending on your safe's construction and the type/amount of ammo or reloading supplies you keep in it) becoming a bomb in the event of a fire.
                        Regarding the 2nd Amendment:
                        "...to disarm the people ― that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason ("The Father of the Bill of Rights")

                        Regarding Life and Death:
                        "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

                        The BIG question: "What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?" Matthew 27:22b

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          deviljon
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 2513

                          Originally posted by Shasta Frog
                          [ATTACH]324801[/ATTACH]

                          [ATTACH]324802[/ATTACH]

                          This is my Cannon 24 gun safe. Works for me. Your results may vary
                          Thanks!

                          I have a pretty similar setup with my Costco Bighorn safe. Don't think it's as wide, so i have to set my ammo cans in rotated 90 degrees from the way you have it.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            glock_this
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 8225

                            The only ammo I keep in my safe is that which is loaded in mags. Nothing more. The rest, 100%, is in metal military 30 & 50 cal ammo cans safe, secured, locked up with dessicant packets in each can and an AmmoCanMagnet label on each one. No room for ammo in my safe anyway.
                            10 +1 in the chamber

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              anti
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 2098

                              Thanks, guys, looks like I'll stash my ammo elsewhere. I don't have much room in my safe to begin with. I wanted a bigger one but it would have been a pain trying to get it into the house let alone my room. I'll look for a foot locker-type container for ammo storage.
                              Truckers make the world go 'round!

                              Interested in shooting Olympic trap? Join CICTSA! (CA International Clay Target Shooting Association)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1