Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Safe that cannot be opened by 3yr old

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fr33loader
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 44

    Safe that cannot be opened by 3yr old

    Forgive me if this was covered in a sticky - I couldn't find it. I'm in the market for a safe (prefer bedside) for my p226. I have 3 little kids at home (the 5 year old is VERY curious). I am very concerned about them (especially him):

    1. knowing about the safe and what is inside (I know I should teach him but I think he is too young as of yet).
    2. playing around with the combination
    3. doing the 3yr old trick on youtube

    Are there any safes that are reasonably difficult to guess the combo for (or electronic) and also not easily opened by lifting and dropping them?
  • #2
    Shasta Frog
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 740

    I have two Harbor Freight safes that I use as nightstands. Both have fingerprint scanners or a 13 digit code of 1's and 0's. They work well for me :-)

    Comment

    • #3
      762ch
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 1121

      Get the gun vault and screw it down, so they can't drop it.

      Side note, I don't think 5 is too young to teach gun safety. Or respect for your stuff.

      Good luck, there are many options out there!

      Comment

      • #4
        steel30
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2013
        • 2042

        +1 Gun Vault!
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          JDay
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2008
          • 19393

          You can open a gun vault with a paperclip. Just stick it under the lid and hit the reprogram fingerprint/code button. Prying with a screwdriver will work too. Any actual gun safe will not be easy for a 3 year old to open if it has a quality lock such as a La Guard or S&G. Pretty much any gun safe made today will be plenty secure.
          Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

          The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

          Comment

          • #6
            WCSafes
            Vendor/Retailer
            • May 2013
            • 109

            JDay knows what he is talking about, if you want a hand gun box Fort Knox makes a stout one, 3/16" door, 10 gauge box, spring assist opening, manual simplex push button. Can be bolted down.




            Best,
            Brad
            West Coast Safes, Inc.
            http://www.WestCoastSafes.com
            http://www.safeaccessories.com
            http://www.wcliberty.com

            Comment

            • #7
              fr33loader
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2013
              • 44

              But with simplex, isn't it only a matter of repeated trial and error before you guess the combination?

              Comment

              • #8
                WCSafes
                Vendor/Retailer
                • May 2013
                • 109

                You can try until the cows come home. You can set the buttons in any sequence you want. In addition you can have numbers pressed simultaneously to add another level of complexity to the combo. I would take that lock over any handgun box lock out there. My 2cents.
                Best,
                Brad
                West Coast Safes, Inc.
                http://www.WestCoastSafes.com
                http://www.safeaccessories.com
                http://www.wcliberty.com

                Comment

                • #9
                  SilentPea
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 528

                  Another simplex lock based safe, but with a different shape.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sticka
                    Member
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 289

                    I have one of these. It is a great safe.
                    The thing that I really like about it from a safety point of view is that when you close it, it is locked.
                    You don't have to turn a knob or push a button. If it's closed, it's locked.


                    Originally posted by SilentPea
                    Another simplex lock based safe, but with a different shape.
                    http://www.fas1safe.com/product.sc;?...1&categoryId=1
                    .


                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sticka
                      Member
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 289

                      ...and here are the reasons that you should not buy a cheap one....

                      .


                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Ninask
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2013
                        • 1029

                        Just super-glue their fingers together,
                        makes it harder fro them to turn the dials
                        N

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1