Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

how to secure a safe

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jmaglipay
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1360

    how to secure a safe

    First post here.

    I recently purchased a safe from costco. link below. It will go to the master bedroom carpeted walk in closet. The pre drilled holes are located in the bottom to secure the safe. my question is:
    1. can i secure the safe by drilling through the carpet
    2. if not is there any way to secure the safe by using the wall studs
    any advice would be helpful.

    Shop Costco.com for electronics, computers, furniture, outdoor living, appliances, jewelry and more. Enjoy low warehouse prices on name-brand products delivered to your door.
  • #2
    billped
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2504

    Check out the sticky
    Bill

    Comment

    • #3
      jmaglipay
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 1360

      I did check the sticky. I prefer to secure the safe by the wall studs. I would try to avoid drilling through the carpet.

      Comment

      • #4
        Casual_Shooter
        Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Sep 2006
        • 11741

        Bolting it to the wall studs would be more difficult since there are no pre-drilled holes in the safe for that purpose. But otherwise, I can't think of any reason not to bolt it to studs.
        Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

        "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



        Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

        Comment

        • #5
          Intimid8tor
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2007
          • 6607

          Cut squares in the carpet and drill through. I used 6" square piece of metal for the washers and large carriage bolts through the bottom of the safe into the crawl space. It's in a walk in closet so no big deal.

          If you drill through the carpet without cutting it there is a risk of snagging a thread and damaging a larger area.
          Starve the beast, move to a free state.

          Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."

          Comment

          • #6
            jmaglipay
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 1360

            Intimid8tor, did you use a stud finder to drill the holes? Any chance of pics so I can get a better idea?

            Comment

            • #7
              five.five-six
              CGN Contributor
              • May 2006
              • 34928

              drilling the back of your safe should not be all that hard

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1