I am looking for alocking gun rack to fit in my Chrysler minivan. Does anyone know of an existing rack or how to build one? I only need space for one AR but two would be even better so i could have a choice between AR and 12ga.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Gun Rack help needed
Collapse
X
-
Gun Rack help needed
Tags: None -
Well. I have gun bags I'm looking for something in the back window. Think pick-up truck but minivan. And AR of course. Plus I have kids in the car all the time plus a wheelchair so I can't take up any floor space. DVD screens etc. complicate ceiling mounts. I was thinking something like the locks in Bombmaster's post but mounted to 2 vertical bands on the back window. Open the gate and the guns etc. are completely out of the way.Comment
-
Do you own a jigsaw? why not make one? That way you get EVERYTHING you want?
Honestly, how hard can the design be. If you want locking, then I'm guessing steel would be in order. I'd be using mild steel for ease of welding and cutting, the cheaper the better. Like a gun cabinet rather than safe kinda thing.
On the simplest side you'd be using something like 1" bar stock you can bend into loops to clamp on the guns and fit a lock in, then upholster in 1/4 inch foam or thicker for a snug fit that won't mar surfaces. The complexity would go up from there.
As for mounting, the easiest way is to find existing holes in the unibody you can use then sneak a mount out from around a panel. Usually cars will have butt-fit panneling, allowing you to do something like cut up a piece of 16 gauge sheet, bend with a brake (cheap at HF), drill the appropriate holes and put into place.
Finally, if custom is really what you want, a design looks simple to figure out, but you just don't want to deal, a muffler shop should be able to help you for a nominal charge. They'd do the cutting and drilling and all you'd have to do is the painting, upholstery, and fastening.Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-08-2011, 11:15 AM.Comment
-
Thanks. I think I have sort of resigned myself to DIY it. A muffler shop is a good lead too.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,156
Posts: 25,144,897
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,510
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 54899 users online. 75 members and 54824 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

~
Comment