Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Electronic vs. mechanical locks

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • genesis121
    Junior Member
    • May 2010
    • 93

    Electronic vs. mechanical locks

    Looking into getting my first gun safe. As I look at different safes I notice some have electronic and some have mechanical locks. Anybody have any advice to which one they like better and why?

    Thanks
  • #2
    jm13690
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 766

    Originally posted by genesis121
    Looking into getting my first gun safe. As I look at different safes I notice some have electronic and some have mechanical locks. Anybody have any advice to which one they like better and why?

    Thanks
    Electronic is quicker to open and easier to see. You can also change the code on an electronic lock whenever you want to.

    Dial is mechanical so you know it shouldn't break down on you, like the possibility of an electronic getting fried.

    Comment

    • #3
      sniper4usmc
      Senior Member
      • May 2010
      • 1984

      USMC 95-99

      Comment

      • #4
        RobT2K
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 726

        Why not get in on the group buy from sturdy safe?

        Comment

        • #5
          WWDHD?
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 2722

          I like mechanical dial locks. I prefer reliability over speed of access but thats just my opinion. Now if I was going to be in and out of the safe more than 2 or 3 times a day a good quality digital lock might make more sense. I've read the S&G electronic locks are better than the Laguard. Good luck.
          NRA & CRPA member
          semi-docile tax payer
          amateur survivalist

          Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

          Comment

          • #6
            bsg
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2009
            • 25954

            i prefer manual.

            Comment

            • #7
              RAguy
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 11

              is the group buy still on? I want in

              Comment

              • #8
                wellerjohn
                Member
                • May 2008
                • 393

                My safe came with a electronic biometric lock that was so cool..... until it said E-7 and would not open a few days later. They had to come out and drill the safe so I could get my stuff out...... had them bring a new safe with a mechanical lock. No electronic locks for me anymore.

                Comment

                • #9
                  WWDHD?
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 2722

                  The biometric locks look great on paper but the technology is just not reliable enough at the average consumer price point yet. Maybe someday but certainly not now. I'll stick with the dial.
                  NRA & CRPA member
                  semi-docile tax payer
                  amateur survivalist

                  Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    k1dude
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2009
                    • 15898

                    My safe dealer told me to stay away from biometric locks. So did a commercial security system installer friend of mine. They aren't that secure and they have reliability problems.

                    That being said, my safe dealer HIGHLY recommends electronic locks. But only ones made by Sargent and Greenleaf or LaGard. In fact, all 5 of his personal safe's he switched out the mechanical locks to electronic.

                    The only major drawback is you might not be able to get into your safe if an enemy of the US decides to detonate an EMP weapon. But what are the odds of that happening? Even then you can still break into your safe if you know how (I won't post the techniques).
                    "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                    "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      xtalpimp
                      Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 336

                      Stay away from the biometric readers; the reliability they have is not what I am comfortable with i.e. you have to present your finger a couple of time before you get a good read. If your finger is dirty you won't get a good read and you will have to clean the sensor.

                      Old School mechanical has a problem with drift. Lets say your combo is 10-20-30. over time your combo may drift up or down a couple of numbers to open after years of use. so instead of 10-20-30 it may be 12-22-32 to open. Also the speed at which you can get into it is slow. If you are mechanical skills are good you can also learn how to recalibrate and reset you combo at any time, as long as the safe door is already open.

                      I prefer digital locks for speed and security. I also prefer Laguard over S&G. I was worried about a battery operated device but it really is a non issue as the battery is good for hundreds of openings and good for several years. most of the moderns you can change the battery without even having to open the safe door.

                      good luck with your search for security.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        shooting4life
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 5770

                        Also mechanical locks do need maintenance over the years.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          WWDHD?
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 2722

                          What kind of maintenance and how often?
                          NRA & CRPA member
                          semi-docile tax payer
                          amateur survivalist

                          Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Ratman12
                            Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 130

                            I faced the same choice about a year ago.. Went to Turners with my wife,, tried the both types with and without my glasses ( hate getting old) couldn't even get the freakn dial open with my glasses on ...wife was laughing her a** off.. Went electronic much faster.. and programmed to a number she wont forget.. Go try both...

                            I also considered the layers of security I have at my house... I do feel the old school would be more secure but between my house alarm and big dogs I felt the speed an ease of use tilted to the electronic..

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              blakdawg
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 1503

                              My wife (an engineer!) just couldn't get comfortable with a mechanical dial lock - when I told her it was possible to swap the lock out for an electronic combination lock and that it was possible to buy a safe/RSC in a color other than black, she immediately warmed up to the idea of buying a nice big safe for my guns and her jewelry + photo albums.

                              The combination of her feeling like she can get in/out when she needs to + it not being an "ugly" color made a giant difference in her attitude - it went from "something stupid my husband wants to waste money on" to "our nice safe."
                              "[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1