Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Fire Protection?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bonjing
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 963

    Fire Protection?

    Okay I'm probably just overthinking this stuff but I have a question about fire protection. If I understand this correctly the fire protection that comes from the fire boards are due to its moisture content, correct? So if you put in dessicant will it absorb that moisture from the board lessening the fire protection?

    Thanks for the replies
  • #2
    scottj
    Member
    • Nov 2004
    • 142

    I've never heard that about fire board. I have heard that about the cement type fire linings. Most of the cement type fire lined safes have thin steel liners between the cement and inside of the safe so keeping desiccants inside the safe wouldn't effect the moisture content of the cement.

    I think that fire board is just drywall which is of course very dry. Either way I don't think desiccants or dry rods would effect the fire proofness of the a safe.

    Scott

    Comment

    • #3
      scottj
      Member
      • Nov 2004
      • 142

      ...unless of course the the golden rod shorted out and caught fire inside the safe...

      Just kidding!

      Comment

      • #4
        socalsteve
        Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 274

        I have heard that some of the fireboard retains and releases moisture (when heated) also.

        It only releases it when heated up so you souldn't have to worry about the dessicant - it would be best to get an inner liner that should help seal the fireboard more too.

        Comment

        • #5
          odysseus
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Dec 2005
          • 10407

          What brands of safes have this "moisture retaining" wall material and how could it have enough to do anything? I have not heard of this.
          "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

          The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
          - John Adams

          http://www.usdebtclock.org/

          Comment

          • #6
            scottj
            Member
            • Nov 2004
            • 142

            The American Security BF series are made with a proprietary concrete material. Probably most of the comercial burglary resistant safes are made with reinforced concrete between two walls of steel.

            I'm a little skeptical that moisture in the concrete would really have much effect, but I'm not an expert on fire retardants.

            Comment

            • #7
              socalsteve
              Member
              • Dec 2005
              • 274

              I am also a bit skepticle on a lot of the claims by safe manufacturers.

              Fort Knox says their fire board (some kind of drywall) retains and releases moisture. I have heard with the fire board and cement like AMSEC or Graffunder use you need dessicant or a golden rod or just a lighbulb to heat the air enough to dry out the moisture.

              I just bought a used TL 30 without any firelining - I guess I'll take my chances!

              I am going to build a closet around the safe so if anyone knows where I can get some of the ceramic blankets or fire board that safe manufactures use please let me know.

              Then I will build a couple inches of that around the outside - it might even work better because there won't be a metal skin outside to heat up.

              Comment

              • #8
                Scarecrow Repair
                Senior Member
                • May 2006
                • 2425

                Originally posted by socalsteve
                I am going to build a closet around the safe so if anyone knows where I can get some of the ceramic blankets or fire board that safe manufactures use please let me know.
                Would Hardie (sp?) board be good enough?
                Mention the Deacons for Defense and Justice and make both left and right wingnuts squirm

                Comment

                • #9
                  Satex
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3501

                  Originally posted by socalsteve
                  I just bought a used TL 30 without any firelining - I guess I'll take my chances!
                  Wow, a TL-30! That's a pretty good burglery safe. How big is it and how much did you pay?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Satex
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 3501

                    Originally posted by bonjing
                    Okay I'm probably just overthinking this stuff but I have a question about fire protection. If I understand this correctly the fire protection that comes from the fire boards are due to its moisture content, correct? So if you put in dessicant will it absorb that moisture from the board lessening the fire protection?
                    The fire boards aren't dry wall even though they look similar. The water content isn't the fire protection, its the fire board's insulation that gives you the most protection. The moisture that evaporates gives you a tad more protection. If the door seal is in good shape, then the evaporated moisture, which is now gas, will create a positive pressure inside the safe. The positive pressure will keep fumes out of the safe. That is another minor bonus.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      pksman
                      Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 123

                      what he said.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        surprised
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 56

                        Originally posted by socalsteve
                        I am going to build a closet around the safe so if anyone knows where I can get some of the ceramic blankets or fire board that safe manufactures use please let me know.

                        Then I will build a couple inches of that around the outside - it might even work better because there won't be a metal skin outside to heat up.
                        I had been wondering the same. In poking through the web, I did find www.thermalceramics.com, which might be useful. I haven't used or bought it, so I don't have first-hand knowledge.

                        The cheapest alternative is probably fire-rated gypsum board, which you can get at your big-box home improvement store.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          surprised
                          Junior Member
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 56

                          Originally posted by bonjing
                          Okay I'm probably just overthinking this stuff but I have a question about fire protection. If I understand this correctly the fire protection that comes from the fire boards are due to its moisture content, correct? So if you put in dessicant will it absorb that moisture from the board lessening the fire protection?

                          Thanks for the replies
                          Oh - forgot to mention. If you do have a high-moisture fire protection layer, your greatest concern might not be drying out the fire protection, but harming the firearms with the moisture. Some safes are listed explictly as not being suitable for firearms, precisely because of that - they are intended for papers and documents that can sustain a relatively humid environment.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            scottj
                            Member
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 142

                            I was thinking of doing the same thing, build a box around the safe and stuff insulation between inner and outer box. Having the steel walls of the safe inside the insulation blanket would keep the contents of the safe much cooler.

                            McMaster-Carr sells several kinds of ceramic insulation that could be used:

                            McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.


                            Item # 93315k48

                            It's not cheap but looks like it would do the job. Also you could make a two layer blanket with the expensive high melting temp ceramic wool on the outside and the much cheaper lower melting temp fiberglass wool on the inside.

                            The one thing I hadn't been able to find a vendor for though was the expanding door seal, palusol. Has anybody seen someone selling this?

                            Scott

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              socalsteve
                              Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 274

                              I have actually thought of the hardy board - I don't know its fire retartdent value but it sure eats up saw blades.

                              If I would have bought an rsc rated gunsafe I was going to line the outside with hardy board. I though it would help strengthen the sides and back of the AMSEC bf7240 or the Surdy Safes.

                              I bought a used TL 30 for $3099 + tax and shipping(move into house).

                              It is 70 " high x 35.5 wide x 32 " deep counting hinges & handle
                              Its 68 h x 34.5 w x 27.5 inside with 1 inch thick steel plate on all 6 sides and weighs over 3700 pounds. At least I don't have to worry about holes or bolting it down.

                              As I said a closet is being built around and next to it. I also have to take out the door jam to get it into a back bedroom. Then I am going to put the jam back in and use 4" screws and glue all the wood together - so if someone does get it on a lift they will have to rip the door jam and 2x4's out to fit through the doorway. I guess I'll have to sell it with the house if I ever move.

                              I know its overkill but I wanted a big interior and with this safe I can fit a smaller fire resistant safe inside for important papers and such. I will have to build the shelves but I think I'll put them on the bottom with the smaller safe. This way the I will have gun barrels at the top which is the hottest spot in a fire (heat rises). Most gun safes put the extra shelves at the top and then you have the easiest combustible things like paper at the hottest spot in the safe.

                              I also want to use one of the revolving gun racks like they mention in this post.

                              Gun Safe Buyers Guide from AccurateShooter.com, the best guide for benchrest and precision shooting, Gun safe Reviews, Reloading Message Boards, Cartridge Diagrams. Safe Reviews of Ft. Knox, Amsec, SentrySafe, Sentry, ProStaff, Browning, Zanotti, Sportsman Steel, Cabelas, Cannon, Liberty, Sturdy Safe, Winchester, Granite, Sam's Club, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, gunsmithing, and varminting.


                              I've started researching the ceramic blanket material that they use to line furnaces and kilns - I think if I can get 1/2 to 1 inch of that on the outside with hardy board over it I'll be good to go.

                              Gotta go work beckons.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1