Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Entry Level First Safe

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • zachary2287
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 162

    Entry Level First Safe

    Hey guys I don't currently have a safe but am starting to buy more frequently so I feel that acquiring one will be necessary very soon. I really don't want to spend a fortune so I was just wondering what a decent entry level safe would cost for holding approximately 8-12 guns. I'm hoping to spend no more than $500 if that's even possible. Again I just need something basic and entry level.

    Secondly where is a good place in OC or the surrounding areas to shop for a safe?
    Campaign For Liberty

    NRA Member

    WTB:
    Ruger 10/22
    .22 Revolver
    Double Barreled 20 Ga.
    C&R SKS
    C&R Single Shot Bolt Action .22
  • #2
    mike452
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1510

    You can find smaller safes that claims to fit 14 guns for around $399. Sentry and Honeywell are most common, and you can find them at Turners, Walmart, and Lowe's. They usually have no fire protection.
    ======

    Comment

    • #3
      Redchevyman
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2006
      • 1311

      What ever size safe you think you need...Double that and you will most likely still fill it up.

      Comment

      • #4
        r08ert209cali
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 1534

        check into winchester brand safes.they dont actually build them but they are a bit better than sentry safes my opinion.can be had from 300-950 depending on model.
        Own the most recognized brand in gun safes, building the best quality gun safes, home safes & ammo safes at a great value for a lifetime of security.

        I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.

        Comment

        • #5
        • #6
          swerv512
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 3076

          i just bought a safe that's for up to 12 guns. however, i cant see how i'll ever fit more than 7-8 long guns and some extra handguns up top. basically half the number you get from the manufacturer.

          Comment

          • #7
            Davidwhitewolf
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Apr 2007
            • 705

            Originally posted by mike452
            You can find smaller safes that claims to fit 14 guns for around $399. Sentry and Honeywell are most common, and you can find them at Turners, Walmart, and Lowe's. They usually have no fire protection.
            I have three of the Sentry "14-gun" safes from Home Depot. The first two didn't appear to have fire protection, but when I brought the third one home and read the manual, it did! Now I have to go back and read the manuals for the first two more closely.

            You can fit fourteen long guns in there, but they'd better be very thin and not wear any scopes. Real-world capacity seems to be about eleven long guns (there is webbing for up to four handguns on the door, and a shelf that can hold three more).

            Price for each over three years was between $375 and $420, depending on sale price at the time.

            I know I need to get better safes, but they're good for my purposes as the moment.
            sigpic
            Honorary Board Member, the California Gun Rights Foundation
            Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
            Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.

            Comment

            • #8
              mrlonewolf
              CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jul 2008
              • 4003

              Look for American Security safes deals at Turners, every now and then they have the 10-20 gun capacity model for around 450.00 +/-
              Would you like to participate in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms movement in California?
              Please visit the Calguns Community Chapter forum for your area and sign the roll call
              California needs YOU.


              sigpic

              Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton

              Comment

              • #9
                mike452
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 1510

                Originally posted by Redchevyman
                What ever size safe you think you need...Double that and you will most likely still fill it up.
                I agree with that! But doubling the size will also triple if not quadruple the price and other problems with family life.
                Trying to convince the wife you need a 2000 lb. safe to store enough weapons for war is not an easy task unless you call it a panic room.
                ======

                Comment

                • #10
                  swerv512
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3076

                  Originally posted by mike452
                  Trying to convince the wife you need a 2000 lb. safe to store enough weapons for war is not an easy task unless you call it a panic room.
                  tell your wife just put a bag of cookies and some sanitary wipes inside and you'll have the perfect panic room... seriously

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    hellraiser
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 2347

                    Originally posted by swerv512
                    i just bought a safe that's for up to 12 guns. however, i cant see how i'll ever fit more than 7-8 long guns and some extra handguns up top. basically half the number you get from the manufacturer.
                    sad but true...
                    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. --James "Logan" Howlett

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      swerv512
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 3076

                      Originally posted by hellraiser
                      sad but true...
                      i'll never let something as silly as space limit my gun count. i could always get another one when the $$ is right. I can put it in a different closet.. teehee

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        zachary2287
                        Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 162

                        I love the panic room idea and I know she'd go for it because she's even asked when I was going to build her a panic room on a couple different occasions. Unfortunately it's not real practical in a 600 sq. ft. 1 bdr apt. But thanks for all the suggestions. Now I have a place to start researching.
                        Campaign For Liberty

                        NRA Member

                        WTB:
                        Ruger 10/22
                        .22 Revolver
                        Double Barreled 20 Ga.
                        C&R SKS
                        C&R Single Shot Bolt Action .22

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          Casual_Shooter
                          Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Sep 2006
                          • 11741

                          Just tell your wife her new diamond ring is in the safe you just bought.
                          Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

                          "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



                          Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            xibunkrlilkidsx
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 5419

                            Originally posted by mrlonewolf
                            Look for American Security safes deals at Turners, every now and then they have the 10-20 gun capacity model for around 450.00 +/-
                            the price on those is going to change. If i remember they carreid the w5924 and lp5924. and the LP series has been discountinued. so now they will be TS5924 if i remeber. TS has 30min cersus 45 of the LP.

                            i can not remmber off hand if the w series is still availible.
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                            PSN Id: FNChester
                            Certified Welder-ANSI/AWS D1.2 1F/G, 2F/G, 3 F/G up to 1/2 plate aluminium GTAW. &
                            D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
                            I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1