Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking for a budget light

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MrSam
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2014
    • 1091

    Looking for a budget light

    I'm looking for a budget light for my AR. I don't need anything fancy, as my AR is not my primary HD firearm - that would go to the 1911, which already has a TLR2 mounted on it.
    My budget is around $80. I know it's not much to work with, but I would be happy with anything that is reliable, and wont turn off due to the recoil of an AR (not that there's much recoil anyway).

    I'll likely go with an inexpensive QD light mount (Amazon), since many users have had good luck with it.

    Here is a short list of lights that I am looking at (suggestions are welcome):

    Nitecore P12
    Fenix TK15
    Fenix PD35

    It would be nice to have a strobe feature, but I can't find too many lights in my price range that have that.
  • #2
    hermosabeach
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19807

    What range will you be shooting?

    How many Lumen do you NEED?

    you could take a $5 scope base and attach it to the rail with 2 screws and nylock nuts...

    Then switch your TLR2 onto your rifle..... Easy Peasy....
    Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

    Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

    Comment

    • #3
      mnichols
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 2625

      I think a tlr-1s (strobe) can be had for $85-90 right now.
      https://www.activejunky.com/invite/132380
      Mr.Rebates sign-up referral link: http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1034188

      Comment

      • #4
        MrSam
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2014
        • 1091

        Originally posted by hermosabeach
        What range will you be shooting?

        How many Lumen do you NEED?

        you could take a $5 scope base and attach it to the rail with 2 screws and nylock nuts...

        Then switch your TLR2 onto your rifle..... Easy Peasy....
        As you can probably tell, I know very little about lights. I got the TLR 2 because it was ridiculously cheap (on eBay) and I had tried one before on my G19.
        I'll likely just need it for indoor use, but having the extra lumens wouldn't bother me.
        I'd prefer to keep the TLR2 on my 1911, since it's my primary HD gun.

        Originally posted by mnichols
        I think a tlr-1s (strobe) can be had for $85-90 right now.
        The cheapest one I could find is on Amazon, for $95. I'll consider it though, thank you.

        Comment

        • #5
          mnichols
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2013
          • 2625

          Yeah, maybe I was thinking black friday, cheapest I'm seeing is amazon also.

          Still a good deal, I'm running that light on my m&p 9 FS, I like it a lot.
          https://www.activejunky.com/invite/132380
          Mr.Rebates sign-up referral link: http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1034188

          Comment

          • #6
            MrSam
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2014
            • 1091

            Originally posted by mnichols
            Yeah, maybe I was thinking black friday, cheapest I'm seeing is amazon also.

            Still a good deal, I'm running that light on my m&p 9 FS, I like it a lot.
            It certainly is a good light. I just don't know how well it'll fare on an AR. I prefer tube lights, as I can extend them well past the rail, reducing shadowing. Either way, I'll look into it.

            Comment

            • #7
              Brandon04GT
              In Memoriam
              • Feb 2011
              • 3016

              I run a 300-lumen TLR-1 on my middy AR. I like it a lot. I personally paid exactly what your said budget is, brand new.

              At your budget, I would highly recommend it.

              Comment

              • #8
                bkz81
                Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 337

                I like the mission first tactical torch backup light. Really doesn't take up much room either.
                Originally Posted by American Samurai
                Look on the bright side OP; you weren't cuckolded. She broke it off before that.

                Comment

                • #9
                  MXRider
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 2927

                  If you check over on the AR15.com equipment exchange, you should be able to find a TLR-1 within your budget. $75 seems to be a common used price for them in nice shape.

                  For a tube light a led Surefire G2 with a clamp mount is a cheap option.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MrSam
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • 1091

                    Again, thank you all for the suggestions.
                    The MFT Backup looks nice. Not a big fan of the side-controls on an AR though.

                    I'm looking into the TLR 1 right now. There's a local surplus shop nearby that's selling a few decomissioned Surefire M952 lights (QD rail and pressure pad included) for around $120. However, I'd have to toss in another $10 for an LED upgrade. I'm considering it, but $130 is way above my budget.

                    What do you guys think of the M952?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MXRider
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 2927

                      It's a big and heavy light. But it's a good choice with a led head.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MrSam
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • 1091

                        Thanks MXRider. I am considering it right now. Seems to have everything I am looking for...it's just a tad pricey.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Cyberion
                          Member
                          • Jan 2014
                          • 245

                          Fenix TK15 meets your budget. It's solid. The one inch tube can be used in most standard-sized mounts. Looks like TK16 also has a strobe if that's what you want. If it's on your AR, suggest you also consider a pressure switch for it. ( I have no affiliation with this Ebay posting--it's just an example)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            L84CABO
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 8774

                            Fenix would be my first choice for the Chinese lights. I have a few and they've all performed well.

                            You could look at Elzetta. US made. I've heard good things about them but no direct experience.

                            Maybe Inforce...I think they run around $120 ish. Don't know if they have something cheaper.

                            You might also ask over on Candle Power Forum. If anybody knows lights it's those guys.

                            EBay scares the hell out of me these days as there is so much counterfeit stuff out there. YMMV.
                            "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

                            Fighter Pilot

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MrSam
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • 1091

                              Thanks guys. Looking into the suggested lights now. I try to avoid eBay for AR parts, but there are sellers who actually own shops. So, naturally I buy from them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1