Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Quantity vs Quality

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    retiredAFcop
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 2108

    To add to the collection, I will pick up a low cost "shooter". I can always upgrade later, if I choose to.

    Comment

    • #17
      The War Wagon
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2011
      • 10294

      QUALITY.

      MY life - and the lives of my family members - are worth it.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        GREASY357
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 1684

        Get mosins and you can have both quality and quantity and a hell of a lot of fun without spending much. I do need an '03 soon

        Sent from my phone using my phone
        War is mostly waiting.

        Comment

        • #19
          Mayor McRifle
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2013
          • 7771

          I accumulate quantities of quality guns. It just takes longer.

          Buy quality. Be patient. Enjoy what you have now. Don't sell your guns. Take good care of your guns. And add more good guns when you are able to.
          Anchors Aweigh

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            Standard
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2007
            • 3676

            I'm a shooter, so I only buy to shoot, not collect. I don't need or have any desire for multiples of the same gun.
            What's nice about a lot of C&Rs is they still feel like quality, even if they are cheap. The old wood and steel of the past feels so much nicer than today's polymer guns.

            Comment

            • #21
              knucklehead0202
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2008
              • 4087

              Both. I'm a buyer of opportunity and ability really. I've bought some quality rifles really cheap, and paid too much for some "less desirable" rifles, although not crazy mind you. Basically if I see something I like and I can afford it, I get it. The ultimate goal is to have at least one example of everything, but opportunity has made some things available to me and some things not. Hence, I have 6 carcanos and not a single American rifle, aside from my old Stevens .22

              Someday it might all make sense but whatever, they all make me smile...

              Comment

              • #22
                Capybara
                CGSSA Coordinator
                CGN Contributor
                • Feb 2012
                • 15650

                The most expensive gun I own was only $1,300.00, guess I prefer variety. I have some nice quality guns that were relatively inexpensive, K31, M39, Enfield Number V Mk 1. None are safe queens, none are exceedingly rare but there are some nice ones and I get to shoot and reload for all of them.

                I appreciate quality but can't afford to have dozens of expensive guns.
                NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  NOTABIKER
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 7635

                  on the battle field in WW 2 i doubt a combatant cared who had the nicest machine work or finish on the rifles. all they cared is if it fired when needed.All WW 2 bolt action rifles are pretty much evenly matched.I consider a mosins simplicity a positive.but i would rather drive a Toyota than a BMW.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Rogerbutthead
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • 3859

                    Met a few people with more weapons then I have.

                    Met a number of people who's examples are of a higher quality than mine, usually end up buying their seconds.

                    However I seem to end up with quantity while looking for quality.

                    People with the really nice stuff for some reason do not want to sell it, at least not right now.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Enfield47
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 6385

                      I try to go with quality over quantity for my meager collection. My personal taste is for a gun that looks and shoots good but no safe queens. I'm looking to get one example of several different firearms that interest me rather than to just concentrate on every model variant made for one gun. There's nothing wrong for those who enjoy that specialized type of collecting, it's just not what I'm interested in doing.

                      I finally ventured into the non military C&R and picked up a Savage 99, so now I've let that genie out of the bottle too. There are just too many guns I want to collect and not enough cash to do it.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Quiet
                        retired Goon
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 30242

                        sigpic

                        "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          81turbota
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Oct 2014
                          • 2956

                          Originally posted by Quiet
                          Fact.
                          C&R nut.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            beerman
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 5199

                            I used to load up on cheap surplus guns with little collectable significance..Like the 6, SVT 40s we bought from SOG for $239 a piece,or the enfield #4s bought from federal Ord for $59 each...or the $69 Chinese SKS turners used to sell...Yes this was the 80s & 90s. These guns ended up funding my US collection.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Capybara
                              CGSSA Coordinator
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 15650

                              Originally posted by Marcus von W.
                              So getting "what you can" (with an eye to the above mentioned factors) "while you can" should be the mantra that guides your collecting strategy.
                              This has been my directive for the past three years. We have almost had Internet Ammo Bans, Semi Auto Bans, Bullet Button Bans. When Brown terms out in four years, whichever Communist ends up governing the state will rapidly bring our lifestyle to an end. For every Peruta or Silvester, we are losing twice as many. They are overwhelming us with tyranny because it is so much easier for them to write and pass BS laws than it is for us to defeat them in court.

                              At least if you acquire guns, you will have a choice to obey or disobey whatever gun grabbing BS they try to impose on us. If you wait, doors will be closing just just like they have for SSE pistols, AOWs, etc.
                              NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                highpower
                                Calguns Addict
                                • May 2012
                                • 5331

                                Certain guns will always be worth more than others due to perceived value and collector interest - think Lugers for example, others will never achieve high value status. Cheap guns will go up in price as does everything, but they will not see the kind of increases that the more desired ones will see.

                                I think that any collection that focuses on the twentieth century wars, needs to have a Mosin in there somewhere. But I think that one really good one is enough. The only use I would have for a crate of them is to make a coffee table out of it. By the same token, even though Arisaka's don't get the same respect that German Mausers get, not having one would be ignoring a significant weapon that was used by a major player.

                                I would rather acquire good examples of the firearms that interest me over a period of time, instead of buying large numbers of guns in poor cosmetic condition just because the are cheap.

                                And speaking of condition, I learned many years ago that junk, even rare junk is never going to bring the money or generate the interest that the nicer examples will.
                                MLC member.

                                Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

                                Dumocraps suck balls.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1