Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

C&R SUPPPORT GROUP

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • krwada
    Senior Member
    CGN Contributor
    • Jun 2013
    • 1457

    C&R SUPPPORT GROUP

    OK ... Let me say this. I grew up with guns. Then ... I put them away for a pretty long time when I moved to the bright blue SF Bay Area.

    Then; I decided to get back into the shooting sports at around the 2010 time frame. One of the 1st things I did was to get me the RCBS reloading kit and start reloading ammo. I thought ... I always wanted to shoot and reload ... and why not?

    Then, I got my C&R and COE ... and started getting some of these fine C&R firearms.

    You know what? I am TOTALLY addicted to this thing!

    1. Owning a piece of history
    2. Not being intimidated because of unavailability of ammo, (reloading aids in this)
    3. Seeing, shooting and fondling 50+ years of history

    ...

    Well what can I say....

    Is there any end to the addiction?

    I thought reloading and shooting was bad enough ... Now C&R .... that adds a whole new dimension to the madness.

    I have not obtained my 1st Mosin .... YET!
    20
    There there krwada ... maybe there is help for you
    0%
    1
    Totally addicted!
    0%
    7
    C&R collectors are the only bona fide gun nuts
    0%
    12
    krwada ... maybe you ought to take up another hobby ... like watching Netflix!
    0%
    0
  • #2
    Enfield47
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2012
    • 6385

    I don't think there is a way to turn back. Oh sure you can stop for a while, but as you discovered the addiction kicks right back in where you left off. Often times it is worse after a break because you have to make up for lost time. At least you have your therapy (reloading) to help you through it all.

    Comment

    • #3
      krwada
      Senior Member
      CGN Contributor
      • Jun 2013
      • 1457

      addicted?

      You know what?

      Lately, I have had this serious urge to watch movies ... Movies like:

      1. Zulu
      2. Zulu Dawn
      3. Northwest Frontier
      4. Breaker Morant
      5. Enemy at the Gates
      6. Saving Private Ryan
      7. Hamburger Hill
      8. Porkchop Hill
      9. Four Feathers
      10. Gunga Din
      11. Longest Day
      12. Lawrence of Arabia
      13. Man Who would be King

      There appears to be no cure!

      Heh!
      Last edited by krwada; 11-05-2014, 9:35 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        Capybara
        CGSSA Coordinator
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2012
        • 15636

        Definitely no cure. My safe is full and I am broke. But when I get caught up, I will buy more and will eventually get a bigger safe or a second safe.
        NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          sammass
          Member
          • May 2012
          • 355

          The problem seems to be the hurrier I go, the behinder I get. And depending on which way you go, there is something new to study and play with. It started with an old family Mossberg 42M(b). Recently, an inexpensive M-N 91/30 was followed by an M38, a couple of Garand's, and a K-31. Each one is different and now I spend a lot of time studying up on them. And yes, another storage container is needed. I wish I could say it was something in my drink or an infection that made me do it. Not enough water in the state and I've had my flu shot. :-) A compulsion?

          Comment

          • #6
            NOTABIKER
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2012
            • 7635

            my only control is my wallet, If i had the cash i would buy one example of every gun ever sold for whatever reason and i wish i kept.

            Comment

            • #7
              2meterB
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 1728

              Every time i smell cosmoline my wallet drops. I've bought 4 c&r in the last couple weeks.

              Do they nake a cosmoline patch?

              Comment

              • #8
                DennisCA
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2011
                • 4067

                I can stop collecting at any time!
                I just choose not!
                That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

                I remember (years ago) walking into a
                Big 5 store and saw a mosin, it get's kind of gets blurry from there.
                (How in hell did I end up with so many guns??)
                Last edited by DennisCA; 11-06-2014, 7:04 AM.
                "The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.

                Comment

                • #9
                  knucklehead0202
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 4087

                  Originally posted by Capybara
                  Definitely no cure. My safe is full and I am broke. But when I get caught up, I will buy more and will eventually get a bigger safe or a second safe.
                  ^^^Exactly this, but i'll be back in the game. Yes, totally addicted!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Paulie Lugnuts
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 1756

                    Those Big5 Mosins are gateway guns. You get hooked on the cheap ones and you need more and more.
                    If you're smart about it, buy nice guns at reasonable prices, you won't lose money on C&Rs. Its money in the safe, at least that's what I tell my wife.
                    Because milsurp.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      caldude
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 1253

                      I started a little earlier - like 2008. I've always been a history/arms buff and relatively quickly collected the C&R firearms I wanted and could afford. I've slowed down in the last couple of years - mostly because what is left on my list is expensive, and I don't have any safe room left. However, about half of the firearms on my "want" list are C&Rs.

                      If you're like me, you'll start off fast - buying everything you want and can afford, then taper off as the want list grows shorter and the safe gets full. But, you'll then enjoy shooting all of those fine relics. It sounds like you've already started on the next phase of the C&R bug - reloading.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        81turbota
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        • Oct 2014
                        • 2956

                        The refurb 91/30...the gateway drug.

                        I bought my first rifle in 2008, an M44 for $79 on sale. I sold it when I enlisted in the Army and was stationed overseas.

                        I bought my big 5 special 91/30 in June, now I have 9 C&R rifles and a pistol, along with various bayonets, accessories and ammo.

                        I'm definitely a favorite at the LGS, as the "gotta have it" impulse is strong with me
                        C&R nut.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          krwada
                          Senior Member
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jun 2013
                          • 1457

                          Reloading

                          Originally posted by caldude
                          I started a little earlier - like 2008. I've always been a history/arms buff and relatively quickly collected the C&R firearms I wanted and could afford. I've slowed down in the last couple of years - mostly because what is left on my list is expensive, and I don't have any safe room left. However, about half of the firearms on my "want" list are C&Rs.

                          If you're like me, you'll start off fast - buying everything you want and can afford, then taper off as the want list grows shorter and the safe gets full. But, you'll then enjoy shooting all of those fine relics. It sounds like you've already started on the next phase of the C&R bug - reloading.
                          Actually, I started reloading 1st. I did this "to save on ammo" ... Heh! What it did was just got me to shoot more ... I mean ... a whole lot more. I started out with a Modelo 1916 Spanish Mauser with the original 7x57 chambering. I reloaded that and for a .30-06 M66 Mauser.

                          Then ... I participated over at 2A Munitions. There are a few collectors over there who live in Europe. The Europeans have incredibly strict firearms laws and for this reason, most collectors must reload. These fellows told me about reloading for the old military C&R and antique rifles and how this opens up a whole new venue in the shooting and collecting of firearms...

                          Yes ... I can say that I am hooked.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NOTABIKER
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 7635

                            early on i would go to Turners or Big 5 and if i did not have a mosin in dros i would look at all of the mosins and buy one. At times i had to make a list of what store and DROS date i could pick up a gun. I never bought a gun at the gun show. it was LGS, turners or Big 5.I think the most Mosins i had at one time was 14. down to 4 a PU, romanian M-44 and 2 T 53s. No safe queens.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Crusader
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • 2995

                              To say you're "Addicted" to C&Rs infers that there is a problem with owning too many C&R guns.
                              Let me assure you that there is no problem with owning so many guns that you have to keep them in closets, behind furniture, and in bed next to you when you sleep.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1