Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SVT-40 Redneck Scope mount

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TRAP55
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2008
    • 5536

    SVT-40 Redneck Scope mount

    My SVT-40 didn't have the scope rails machined into it, and since I'm old enough to be a curio and relic, I needed something I could see the target with!
    I didn't want to permanently alter the rifle, so I used an old pitted dust cover, and a Weaver mount/rings I had laying around. The scope is a Kalinka with the crosshairs like my avatar. I've only shot it at 50yrds, but it's dead on, and it holds zero!
  • #2
    nazgulnarsil
    Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 250

    nothing beats having a DIY project come together nicely.
    The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists. -Hemingway

    Comment

    • #3
      Joe Register
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2006
      • 1309

      what!

      No duct tape?

      Comment

      • #4
        chevyboy_0
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 72

        +1 on Duct Tape

        The rifles in the background are a nice touch as well
        The Arsenal
        1. Numbers matching 1942 Mosin Nagant
        2. Remington 870 Super Magnum
        The Garage
        1. 1970 Chevelle SS

        When the Green flag drops the BS stops

        Looking for .22 rifle...

        Comment

        • #5
          TRAP55
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2008
          • 5536

          Red duct tape? Someone been telling on me?
          JB Weld was substituted for the duct tape. I don't want the mount and scope going anywhere, that mount is permanent now! I used the JB to fill in the pits too, and a good coat of black enamel.
          Rifles in the background are some that are waiting on me to get one of the safes moved in here. Finally convinced the wife I need a "Man Room", it was easy when I told her no more safes in the bedroom.
          I'll get some "family" pictures of the "arsenal" while I have em all out, I just hope I can remember how they all fit back in the safes. If she sees how many firearms I really have while I'm moving them, I'm in deep trouble.

          Comment

          • #6
            chevyboy_0
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 72

            At least she lets you have them, my parents saw my Lower and they took it away saying that it is a "Machine Gun", I said the only way you could hurt someone with that is by beating them over teh head with it...

            Thats why they wont know about my 91/30
            The Arsenal
            1. Numbers matching 1942 Mosin Nagant
            2. Remington 870 Super Magnum
            The Garage
            1. 1970 Chevelle SS

            When the Green flag drops the BS stops

            Looking for .22 rifle...

            Comment

            • #7
              caldude
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2007
              • 1253

              I like it. Although I don't have an old cover laying around, Numrich has them for like $22. I also need 'extra help' in the eyesight department, so I just may go this route also. The challenge will be finding a short scope (at a price I want to pay).

              Comment

              • #8
                EBR Works
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Dec 2007
                • 10492

                Brilliant!


                Check out our e-commerce site here:

                www.ebrworks.com

                Serving you from Prescott, AZ

                Comment

                • #9
                  Xerxes
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 1665

                  Originally posted by TRAP55
                  My SVT-40 didn't have the scope rails machined into it, and since I'm old enough to be a curio and relic, I needed something I could see the target with!
                  I didn't want to permanently alter the rifle, so I used an old pitted dust cover, and a Weaver mount/rings I had laying around. The scope is a Kalinka with the crosshairs like my avatar. I've only shot it at 50yrds, but it's dead on, and it holds zero!

                  Not sure what you say you did here and the picture is a bit dark.

                  Are you saying you just JB welded the rings to the dust cover?

                  If so I would expect them to fail/crack after a lot of use as the SVT has a lot of kick to it.

                  How did you line it up straight during mounting?

                  ....and your range report is missiing. Would not mind seeing that and seeing what the grouping is. Dust cover mounts ala AK's and SKS's are known for slop and large MOA. It would be good to know if a SVT dust cover mount is or is not similar.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CSACANNONEER
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 44094

                    You did a good gob concealing the bubble gum and bailing wire!
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                    Utah CCW Instructor


                    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                    sigpic
                    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                    KM6WLV

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TRAP55
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 5536

                      Not sure what you say you did here and the picture is a bit dark.
                      Are you saying you just JB welded the rings to the dust cover?
                      If so I would expect them to fail/crack after a lot of use as the SVT has a lot of kick to it.
                      How did you line it up straight during mounting?
                      Xerxes, To test my idea, I did in fact "glue' it on with JB weld before I drilled and tapped it.
                      I had to radius the bottom of the mount to fit the top of the cover. I used the cover with sandpaper stretched over the top for a sanding block to get the exact radius. With the cover on a level surface, I kept checking the level of the mount on the cover as I worked it down.

                      When I got it where I wanted it, I used slow setting JB Weld to hold it on so I could adjust the level as it set up. If it wouldn't hold zero, I could soak it in acetone to get the mount off the cover.

                      Using a rest, and Czech silvertip lightball, I fired one round. Two clicks right and one click up and it was dead on at 50yrds. 6 more rounds into the same spot, and the JB weld did start to crack at the front of the mount because of the weight of the scope hanging rear of center. I went ahead and carefully pulled it the rest of the way off.

                      It left a perfect mounting pad on top of the cover. I cleaned the JB out of the mount holes and counter sunk them for socket head cap screws. Super glued the mount back on and used it for a drilling and tap guide. I need another trip to the range to torture test it with some Polish heavyball.

                      I have a little up/down play in the cover when it's mounted, so I'll probably dimple the cover lips to take up the slack if I have any accuracy problems. The only downside is, I can't use the iron sights with this set up. The plus side is, it sits low overbore and gives me a perfect cheek weld without having to use a cheek rest. No front sight ghosts in the scope either. It takes less than a minute to change the covers out too. I'll get some range test pics next time out and post them here.

                      When I got this rifle, it didn't look anything like it does now. A KY deer poacher tossed it in a wet ditch to avoid getting caught, and it laid there for two weeks. Stock was a mess and the rifle was covered in rust. The gas piston and cylinder were welded together with corrosion from milsurp ammo and not being cleaned, and the extractor was broken off. It's been a lot of work, but it's coming together now. A couple of more dents in the stock to steam out, and it'll get a coat of Tru-Oil.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Guntech
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 1722

                        Nice scope. I would have used some duct tape.
                        " I think the National Rifle Association is more feared than any of those associations,"
                        -Bob Schieffer, CBS News chief Washington correspondent


                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TRAP55
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 5536

                          Now C'mon you guys, you know red duct tape can only be used on tactical gopher killing spoons!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pullnshoot25
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 8068

                            Originally posted by chevyboy_0
                            At least she lets you have them, my parents saw my Lower and they took it away saying that it is a "Machine Gun", I said the only way you could hurt someone with that is by beating them over teh head with it...

                            Thats why they wont know about my 91/30
                            That sucks... like, big time.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1