Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My New Cannon

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • AR22
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 2174

    My New Cannon

    Built this 1/3 scale Cannon somewhat after a Civil War Model.

    Carriage cost me less than 70.00. I may put some wooden wheels on it in the future but had these old Iron antique ones around. May also make some better trunnion Caps as the ones I made are kinda crappy looking.

    Barrel was the expensive part at 300.00.

    It is a 1 inch bore.

    I took it out and shot it today with a steel ball. At a safe dirt backstop, before any one asks

    Very happy as it hit where I was aiming and had a nice little BOOM.

    I know it is not a exact Replica. But had to keep expense down as much as possible..

    Never really had a Plan, just built it in my head as I went

    Heres a pic. Nothing special but pretty cheap to build and should be alot of Fun.
    Last edited by AR22; 09-08-2014, 5:23 PM.
  • #2
    Occams Rasor
    Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 490

    Very cool. Did you cast the barrel yourself?
    Does it have rifling or smooth bore?
    How much does it jump when it goes off?

    Comment

    • #3
      thenodnarb
      Veteran Member
      • May 2009
      • 2603

      How much powder does it use?

      That is pretty cool. I may want one some day.

      How I Powder Coat Pistol Bullets
      How I Powder Coat Rifle Bullets

      Comment

      • #4
        riddler408
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 1746

        bad ***
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          VegasND
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2007
          • 8621

          Nice little cannon. It should be a lot of fun to shoot.
          People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
          --River Tam

          Comment

          • #6
            CSACANNONEER
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2006
            • 44094

            Cute little toy.
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
            Utah CCW Instructor


            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

            sigpic
            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

            KM6WLV

            Comment

            • #7
              kcjr1125
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 3883

              That's pretty awesome OP. I'd buy one if you decide to sell one..
              Originally posted by OHOD
              I guess I could rub my muff against his exwifes muff. Is that what they call muff diving?
              Originally posted by ivanimal
              I love you! (some Homo)
              I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
              we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!

              Comment

              • #8
                iluvmycolt
                Veteran Member
                • May 2013
                • 3247

                Nice cannon you have there OP. When can the rest of us shoot it...?

                Comment

                • #9
                  AR22
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 2174

                  Today I shot 150 Grains of 1F Black. Would handle up to 180 G I suppose but 150 is on the safer side. I would even like to have some Cannon grade Black. But it was hard enough to find 1F locally.

                  I need to get some more fuse ordered. Any of you Cannon guys know a source for some that burns at maybe around 30 seconds a foot?

                  It is a smooth Bore.

                  Bought the barrel already cast.

                  It does not jump a whole lot. Barrel alone weighs close to 40 pounds. With carriage the whole assembly is nearing 100 pounds. So that is alot to push around. It is nearing a chore to get it in the Pickup myself. Not as young as I used to be.

                  Thanks, probably not going to ever sell it but you never know. I may build another one

                  I always wanted to build one for a long time. Thought I better do it before it was too late..
                  Last edited by AR22; 09-08-2014, 5:52 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sealocan
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 9956

                    very cool one-third replica cannon...now you just need 4 of those little mini ponies to pull it around.

                    I actually like the cast iron wheels even though they are not correct historically.

                    that's the kind of thing that would look great in a parade.

                    nice job AR22.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      AR22
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 2174

                      The wheels I bought at a Garage sale for 15.00. They were alot of the expense of the Carriage

                      Thanks for the kind comments.

                      I will look into the Ponies...

                      If I can get my Son to make a video on his Phone and figure out how to put it up. I will let you guys see it in action..

                      I am technologically challenged for the most part.
                      Last edited by AR22; 09-08-2014, 7:01 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CSACANNONEER
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 44094

                        Fuse? Who uses fuse? Friction primers or a slow match is period correct and safer.

                        Is that a scaled down mountain howitzer barrel instead of a cannon barrel?
                        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                        Utah CCW Instructor


                        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                        sigpic
                        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                        KM6WLV

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Enfield47
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 6385

                          Now that looks lie fun to shoot! Nicely done.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pitfighter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 3152

                            Love it - try it with buck shot.
                            Pitfighter.
                            CA/AZ

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              rdfact
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 2680

                              Very cool.
                              How long is the barrel?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1