Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking for a C&R Rifle

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ACsbronco
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 15

    Looking for a C&R Rifle

    New to the forum and just wanted to ask some questions.

    I have been searching around the forum to find out about good gun shops in the bay area, but still have a few questions. Any local shops have a good selection of used military arms? I wanted to get into the whole C&R thing (even ordered the forms), but i read the fine print and found out that you have to be 21 (i am only 20). So, i don't really want to do the whole FFL transfer thing (ca transfer fees/taxes suck!!), and i don't want to pay shipping fees.....so here i am. I've been to a couple gun shows, but am still coming up dry; so any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a great forum and have learned a lot about CA gun polices/info for the last couple of months i have been lurking around here. Thanks again.

    ~Tim
  • #2
    Patriot
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2006
    • 2982

    Any rifle in particular? (Not local myself, but that info will help those who are in answering your question)
    Freedom does not die alone -- Camus, Homage to an Exile

    People generally quarrel because they cannot argue -- G.K. Chesterton

    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties -- James Madison

    Comment

    • #3
      -hanko
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2002
      • 14174

      Originally posted by ACsbronco
      Any local shops have a good selection of used military arms? I wanted to get into the whole C&R thing (even ordered the forms), but i read the fine print and found out that you have to be 21 (i am only 20). So, i don't really want to do the whole FFL transfer thing (ca transfer fees/taxes suck!!), and i don't want to pay shipping fees.....so here i am. I've been to a couple gun shows, but am still coming up dry; so any help would be greatly appreciated.

      ~Tim
      If you buy a C&R from a gun shop without a C&R license, you will pay transfer fees. With the license and without a COE (search the forum) you will pay fees. With the license and a COE you will pay fees.

      You cannot order from out of state unless you pay shipping charges. Without the license, the gun has to be shipped to a licensed dealer...See the first paragraph.

      You are sol unless you purchase the gun from a dealer and pay the fees.

      No CA shop I've ever seen has a 'good' selection of military arms. But even if one did, you still won't pay the transfer fees.

      You can have antique rifles shipped directly to you.

      Otherwise, you're still sol.

      -hanko
      True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

      Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

      Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

      A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

      Comment

      • #4
        caldude
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2007
        • 1253

        There are three ways that I know of to get C&R guns without a C&R license:
        1. Find a local FFL that carries the C&R gun you want. This will need to be DROSed and have the 10 day waiting period.
        2. Find what you want online and have it shipped to a local FFL, who will add a transfer fee, plus will need to be DROSed with the 10 day wait.
        3. Find a local private party who is selling a C&R (such as on the For Sale threads here), and, long as it's a 50 year old RIFLE, you can do a face-to-face transfer, no FFL is needed. C&R handguns will still need to go through an FFL, and you'll have to pay PPT fees, along with the DROS, etc

        The only Bay Area shop I know of that has many C&Rs is Contra Costa Collectibles in Walnut Creek, but I find their prices to be pretty high.
        Last edited by caldude; 09-09-2008, 9:33 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          valleyguy
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 1004

          I dunno if they have Big 5's in the bay area, but you can get a nice Russian WWII-era rifle (like a M44) for a $100 or less, and I don't think you need to be 21. You just have to fill out a little paperwork (the store fills out a lot more) and wait 10 days to pick it up (plus pay $25 for the background check).

          Edit: Oops, or maybe I'm talking out of my league here, listen to the guys above me, I'm probably just talking newb stuff here.
          Last edited by valleyguy; 09-09-2008, 9:50 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            savasyn
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2007
            • 3201

            As previously mentioned, you can have antique rifles shipped to you with just a drivers license. If you are interested in one of the finer Mosin models, the M39, you can start by looking here.

            She always has a decent selection of antiques(about mid-page). You'd have to email her and ask if you need to be 21, but I believe you only have to be 18. If it's 18, email her a picture of your DL and order the one you want.

            Beware though, Mosins are highly addictive and you can't have just one!!

            Comment

            • #7
              5hundo
              Banned
              • Jun 2008
              • 2210

              Originally posted by valleyguy
              I dunno if they have Big 5's in the bay area, but you can get a nice Russian WWII-era rifle (like a M44) for a $100 or less, and I don't think you need to be 21. You just have to fill out a little paperwork (the store fills out a lot more) and wait 10 days to pick it up (plus pay $25 for the background check).

              Edit: Oops, or maybe I'm talking out of my league here, listen to the guys above me, I'm probably just talking newb stuff here.
              You only need to be 18 for rifles (unless they've changed that).

              +1 on the M44, or other Nagant rifle. 1891/30 is also a good shooter. ( I have one of each )

              Check out the CMP too. I'm on my second rifle from them, a .30-40 Krag. For your first C&R rifle, I'd suggest something different.

              Here's a great resource as well:

              Comment

              • #8
                SJgunguy24
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2008
                • 14849

                Antiques are 1899 and older, C&R guns to CADOJ are anything 50+ years. The FEDS have a looser interpratation of C&R weapons. All hand guns must be registerd, C&R or modern. C&R holders CAN buy C&R handguns out of state and legally import the but they must be registerd within 5 days. If you try to buy from a dealer without an FFL you may be in trouble. Not sure how she can sell the SAKO mosins unless she aquired the via C&R collectors FFL vs a 01 dealers FFL . Where are you located ACsbronco? FTF from 03 C&R to qualified legal adult non-licensee with CADL or CAID card is cash and carry.
                There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                The others, well......they just never learn.

                "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                Patrick Henry.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SJgunguy24
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2008
                  • 14849

                  5hundo where did you get your M44 from??? I'm looking for Hex with laminate any ideas?? It's been either or.
                  There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                  The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                  The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                  The others, well......they just never learn.

                  "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                  Patrick Henry.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Hologon
                    Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 171

                    Originally posted by caldude
                    The only Bay Area shop I know of that has many C&Rs is Contra Costa Collectibles in Walnut Creek, but I find their prices to be pretty high.
                    Krausewerk Collectables in San Mateo has a very good selection of C&Rs (with good prices too). Just be careful not to put your foot in the water dish for the dog when you're checking out the specimens on the wall there.

                    The newly opened Bay Area Gun Vault in Mt. View has a rather impressive number of C&Rs in stock right now (from what I gather many are from the personal collections of the employees/owners).

                    If you're pretty certain that C&Rs are your thing, I'd recommend that you start buying ammo today. I've noticed that prices for surplus ammo have just about doubled in the last 2 or so years - with surplus ammunition for many calibers now rather scarce.

                    Best of luck.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dolk
                      Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 347

                      Contra Costa Collectibles in Walnut Creek has a lot of C&R rifles in their shop. Not the cheapest prices, but a lot.

                      The "Old West Gun Shop" in El Cerrito used to have C&R, but I have not been there in years, so I'm not sure about them.
                      "Quando omni flunkus moritati"
                      when all else fails play dead

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        EOD Guy
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1229

                        Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                        Antiques are 1899 and older, C&R guns to CADOJ are anything 50+ years. The FEDS have a looser interpratation of C&R weapons.
                        California uses the Federal definition for C&R and antique firesrms. If the Feds say a firearm is C&R, then so does the California DOJ. Also, antiques are those firearms manufactured BEFORE 1899. There are also other allowances for certain reproductions of antique firearms.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          locktime
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 1114

                          Your best bet is to buy from a private individual. Long guns over 50 years are cash and carry.

                          Watch the for sale forum here, or post a wanted ad if you know what you're looking for.
                          Useless laws weaken the necessary laws.
                          - Montesquieu

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            maxx424
                            Member
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 340

                            Try the Old West Gun in El Cerrito. Bob is a great guy and honest.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              renardsubtil
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 1659

                              to the original poster...

                              what part of the bay area are you from?

                              In Fremont, Irvington Arms has about a dozen or so C&Rs on consignment that may be worth checking out - J&R in Livermore also has a dozen rifles as well. Contra Costa Arms in Walnut Creek has already been mentioned and is definitely worth checking out to see the variety because they have quite a few in stock.

                              Happy hunting. C&Rs are addicting.
                              "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1