Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

K98 question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Eddie1965
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 1465

    K98 question

    I picked up a very worn k98 a couple of weeks ago (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=910107) and at first I couldn't find any Waffenamts on the rifle. As I have been slowly cleaning it I started to find them, most of them are very worn and can't make them out. I cleaned the crud out of a few and can read them now. And I just discovered that it is not import marked, probably a pre-68 import, but still cool. SO here is my question. Is there anything I can do to bring up the worn Waffenamts?
    When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"
  • #2
    Emdawg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 4292

    Well that is a late war, so the metal and stamping quality has suffered.


    Also, even though the Nazis couldn't plaster enough of those swastikas all over the place, they didn't really care for them on their guns.

    I am not too sure about the ones on the stock, but the metal stampings can be made to show with white crayon, some guys do that so the stamps on camera.

    If you are looking for a more permenant method, I am sure somelse here will have a suggestion.
    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

    Comment

    • #3
      kcheung2
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 4387

      Funny, at first you wanted just a shooter & didn't care about the waffenamts, now you want to accentuate them. I dont know of a way to highlight them without it looking tacky, so I suggest you just get some ammo & shoot it.
      ---------------------
      "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

      Comment

      • #4
        Eddie1965
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 1465

        ^ I know, I didn't care about them because I didn't think it had them. Now that I found them I want to know what they are. And yes, it's getting shot this weekend.
        When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
        For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

        Comment

        • #5
          Bobby Ricigliano
          Mit Gott und Mauser
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2011
          • 17439

          Unpeened waffenamts lend themselves to the authenticity and collector value of a K98. However, filling them in with white paint to emphasize them would be rather tasteless, considering what they represent.

          Why don't you just shoot it and take it for what it is, a finely built rifle with a sordid and unsavory history.

          Comment

          • #6
            Eddie1965
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 1465

            Being a mix master, I just want to be able to make out the makers of the parts. And yes, no white paint.
            When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
            For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

            Comment

            • #7
              Bobby Ricigliano
              Mit Gott und Mauser
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2011
              • 17439

              I have one intact RC K98 with all the markings, but I prefer my scrubbed Yugo K98 because it has a lovely stock and super smooth action. Scrubbed, but who cares as a shooter. I do believe the K98 Mauser is an elegant weapon and can shoot better than I can even with old milsurp ammo.

              Comment

              • #8
                Enfield47
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 6385

                If you want the dirty birds to be more visible, use a china marker (wax pencil). You can find a set of them at Michaels, Staples, Home Depot, etc for about $3. Just firmly rub the tip it into the markings and wipe off the excess with a paper towel. If you don't like it, it is easily removed and won't harm the finish. Depending on the amount and color of your blueing, I would try a silver/gray with darker blueing or black with more worn blueing (in the white).

                I use the white pencil to make it easier to see the numbers stamped on my reloading shell holders and case trim length gauges. I tried black but the contrast was less than what I wanted.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1