Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help me evaluate this oddball 91/30

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bainter1212
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2013
    • 5936

    Help me evaluate this oddball 91/30

    Alright y'all,

    I have a good buddy who was forced by circumstances to move to a state that has even worse gun laws than California (hint: you have to take a boat or a plane). Anyhow, he wanted me to store a couple of his guns for him so I agreed.

    One of them is an oddball MN 91/30. He inherited it from his father who in turn inherited it from HIS father.

    The stock is original finish, not varnished. It is a 1937 Tula and looks pretty standard except for a few things....

    1) The very obvious blade front sight. I have 4 91/30s and they all have the post and globe.

    2) There are no import marks.

    3) These odd metal rings through the keepers to attach a sling to (pics below).

    4) NO slop at all to the trigger.....it springs right back to where it started from. There is no return spring, just the sear/sear spring putting pressure on the trigger.

    5) A very faint and unreadable circular crest on the buttstock....looks like a circle within a circle. (see pic below).


    Additional info....

    I thought this might have been a Finn capture but there is no SA anywhere on this rifle. The sling loops, modified sear spring and blade front sight seem like Finnish mods to me, but they very well could have been done by a gunsmith here in the states. Most of the parts are Izzy marked. There are no other markings on the stock besides the extremely faint crest.

    I have included pictures below. Please tell me what you can about this gun....I want to let my friend know if he has an odd variation or just a mashup.



















  • #2
    Bainter1212
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2013
    • 5936



    Comment

    • #3
      Armistice
      Veteran Member
      • May 2013
      • 2668

      It's a prewar stock due to the screw in eschutons. That's about all I can say

      I thought only the Finns used the wire sling mounts. Seems Finns, Swiss, and Germans used those wires in their stocks

      The blade front sight I don't think is period correct for a 1937 as blades aren't used after 1930

      This is just from browsing this site: http://www.7.62x54r.net/
      March 29- April 5, 2019- The Million Mag March. Thank you, Judge Benitez and all the vendors

      Originally posted by ThemBastards
      Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
      Originally posted by knucklehead0202
      I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!

      Comment

      • #4
        Marcus von W.
        Banned
        • Apr 2010
        • 1675

        Spanish Civil War rifle, imported back in the early 1950's.

        Comment

        • #5
          Bainter1212
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2013
          • 5936

          Yeah that site is the first place I searched at.....couldn't get a firm answer. This thing seems to have features from several different variations. The barrel is dirty but the lands are sharp. Next time I go to the range I will see how she shoots.

          Comment

          • #6
            OniKoroshi
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2011
            • 1321

            Looks like a SCW offering.

            Comment

            • #7
              Bainter1212
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2013
              • 5936

              Originally posted by Marcus von W.
              Spanish Civil War rifle, imported back in the early 1950's.
              Interesting. Any sources for that info?

              Comment

              • #8
                Bainter1212
                Calguns Addict
                • Feb 2013
                • 5936

                Well I browsed this site:

                A website dedicated to the history and how to identify Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant rifles


                And it looks like it very well may be a SCW Mosin. That is awesome! My friend will be glad to know that this thing has an odd history to it.

                Thanks again guys.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Armistice
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2013
                  • 2668

                  Very interesting

                  You see any USSR/ URRS stamp anywhere?
                  March 29- April 5, 2019- The Million Mag March. Thank you, Judge Benitez and all the vendors

                  Originally posted by ThemBastards
                  Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
                  Originally posted by knucklehead0202
                  I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Emdawg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 4292

                    Looks like a SCW Mosin Nagant.

                    Common themes with them from what I have seen:

                    Un-refurbished

                    Wire sling swivels

                    Replacement handguard and cleaning rod that are often roughly made

                    USSR or URRS stamp.

                    Lack of globe sight (not always the case)

                    Dark bores
                    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bainter1212
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 5936

                      No USSR or URRS stamp, however from what I have just been reading that is not a deal breaker. Those stamps were put there by the Spanish exporters and mine may just have gone through one of the lazier ones.
                      This one has these possible SCW features....
                      Blade front sight
                      Wire sling hangers
                      Small screw at rear of rear sight base and no pins - indicates not being refurbed by the Soviets after WWII.
                      Original stock cartouche still in place.
                      Unfortunately, no MP8 cartouche is visible on the stock.
                      This rifle does fit into the date range for an SCW piece.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Marcus von W.
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 1675

                        Originally posted by Bainter1212
                        Interesting. Any sources for that info?
                        Yes. I AM THE SOURCE. When people want to know about rare and collectable Mosins (snipers especially, also Finn, SCW, dragoons and early 91/30's, etc.), they come to me. The different web sites discussing things like this are owned by friends of mine who are fellow collectors, are sites I am a member of and post regularly on, and include information and research I and other collectors have shared.

                        There are a number of folks like myself who have been collecting and researching Mosins for many years, own large and significant collections, and share information with each other on a regular basis. I've owned and examined a lot of SCW Mosins - after over 45 years of collecting, there are things you have seen, recognize, and just have a feel for. The condition, finish, sling hangers, lack of import mark, no later parts, upgrades, or post-war refurb characteristics, and front sight all say SCW.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          paratroop
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 1743

                          Originally posted by Marcus von W.
                          Yes. I AM THE SOURCE. When people want to know about rare and collectable Mosins (snipers especially, also Finn, SCW, dragoons and early 91/30's, etc.), they come to me. The different web sites discussing things like this are owned by friends of mine who are fellow collectors, are sites I am a member of and post regularly on, and include information and research I and other collectors have shared.

                          There are a number of folks like myself who have been collecting and researching Mosins for many years, own large and significant collections, and share information with each other on a regular basis. I've owned and examined a lot of SCW Mosins - after over 45 years of collecting, there are things you have seen, recognize, and just have a feel for. The condition, finish, sling hangers, lack of import mark, no later parts, upgrades, or post-war refurb characteristics, and front sight all say SCW.
                          "I am the source"

                          Love it! That is so awesome. You sir are one of my heroes.
                          Originally posted by Marcus von W.
                          Is that banjo music I hear?
                          "Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
                          "Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
                          First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
                          Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Sampachi
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • 812

                            Originally posted by Marcus von W.
                            Spanish Civil War rifle, imported back in the early 1950's.
                            I'll back up Marcus on that.
                            A friend of mine has a similar Mosin with the same style sling attachment. I thought that was something the Finns did but he corrected me and said that style was definitely Spanish.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Bainter1212
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 5936

                              Ok Marcus, I will now refer to you as "the source" LOL. Thanks for IDing the rifle for me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1