Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.38 S&W Topbreak Saved

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TRAP55
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2008
    • 5536

    .38 S&W Topbreak Saved

    This is the latest basket case rescue, a Fourth Model made in late 1907. This orphan was abused. The barrel was cut to 2", and I might add, very professionally done. Then Bubba decided to paint the black bakelite grips white, didn't like that color, so painted over the white paint, with black paint.....while they were still on the gun!
    The gun was left laying on it's right side, on something damp. Then, in what I guess was attempt to clean the rust off, the gun was partially disassembled. Obviously not knowing how to reinstall the cylinder, somebody tried to beat it back on!
    After some file and stone work, I got that working smooth again, and removed all the active rust....and black paint. I couldn't stand looking at those grips, and thought about getting a repro set from Vintage Gungrips. The owner didn't want to spend any money on it, he just wanted it to function, but those grips were hideous!
    Not wanting to repeat the pain from having Satan snot, aka paint stripper, on my hands, I had to find another way to get it off. Fortunately for me, Bubba didn't clean the grime off the grips before he applied his artwork. So with the tip of a needle file, I carefully chipped the paint from the grips. A good scrub with soap and water, using a brass bristle tooth brush, cleaned em right up.

    How I got it, with one grip, chipped clean of paint




    All done, next to my Colt Detective Special

  • #2
    Marquand
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 1482

    Nice job! I'm glad to hear that the attempt to hammer the cylinder back in didn't totally ruin the piece. Two questions: First, is the top latch still tight? Second, what did (or what will) you do about the barrel damage?
    "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

    Comment

    • #3
      Enfield47
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2012
      • 6385

      Nice save. I can't believe how well it turned out from all of the Bubbaing that happened to it.

      We have to get you acclimated to working with paint stripper. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Of course that could be the lacquer thinner talking.

      Comment

      • #4
        TRICKSTER
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2008
        • 12438



        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

        Comment

        • #5
          Rozzi
          Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 241

          Well done! I love the look of it.
          "Sometimes the bravest meet death with their deeds known only to heaven." --S.L.A. Marshall

          Comment

          • #6
            ElvenSoul
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2008
            • 17431

            Those are fun to shoot!
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              TRAP55
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2008
              • 5536

              Originally posted by Marquand
              Nice job! I'm glad to hear that the attempt to hammer the cylinder back in didn't totally ruin the piece. Two questions: First, is the top latch still tight? Second, what did (or what will) you do about the barrel damage?
              Marquand, The only damage to the barrel is, it's not original length anymore. You can see in the pic, whoever shortened it, did a nice job, even re-installing the sight like the factory did. The latch locks up like new, surprisingly for surviving Bubba and his paint brush, the gun is in excellent mechanical condition. Locks up tight, and the cylinder timing is right on the money.
              The threads on the end of the cylinder pin were buggered from the cylinder attempting to be forced on. File and stone cleaned that up, and no wiggle on the cylinder.
              Both grips have a "V" chip on the bottom originating at the grip locator pin. I just can't leave things alone, so I might fill the chips in with black AccraGlass, then buff the glass to match the bakelite.
              I need to find some .38 S&W ammo and shoot it, before I have to give it back!

              Comment

              • #8
                VegasND
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2007
                • 8621

                You definitely need to shoot that one.

                Nice save.
                People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
                --River Tam

                Comment

                • #9
                  Marquand
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 1482

                  Originally posted by TRAP55
                  Marquand, The only damage to the barrel is, it's not original length anymore. You can see in the pic, whoever shortened it, did a nice job, even re-installing the sight like the factory did. The latch locks up like new, surprisingly for surviving Bubba and his paint brush, the gun is in excellent mechanical condition. Locks up tight, and the cylinder timing is right on the money.
                  The threads on the end of the cylinder pin were buggered from the cylinder attempting to be forced on. File and stone cleaned that up, and no wiggle on the cylinder.
                  Both grips have a "V" chip on the bottom originating at the grip locator pin. I just can't leave things alone, so I might fill the chips in with black AccraGlass, then buff the glass to match the bakelite.
                  I need to find some .38 S&W ammo and shoot it, before I have to give it back!
                  Very happy to hear that you rescued that poor abused pup and plan on letting her run around the yard a bit. Here's a link to the cheapest ammo I could find with my search-fu.

                  Cheap Magtech 38 Smith & Wesson (S&W) ammo for sale at AmmoToGo.com - 50 round packs of Lead Round Nose (LRN) 146 Grain ammunition in-stock now.


                  Be sure to let us know how she does!
                  "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Grumpyoldretiredcop
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Sep 2008
                    • 6437

                    Heck of a thing to do to a nice revolver. Outstanding job of bringing it back from Bubba-land the state in which it came to you!

                    Edited after seeing Trap's post below - can't call that "Bubba" in any sense.
                    Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 02-08-2014, 8:09 PM.
                    I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TRAP55
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 5536

                      WOW!
                      You know how us C&R collectors are always saying, "If this gun could only talk"?
                      The gun belongs to my boy's best bud Chris. I told Morgan yesterday to call Chris and get me some history on where this thing came from.
                      He called today and filled me in. I'm shamefully taking back any reference to "Bubba" I said before.
                      The gun belonged to Chris' grandfather who was stationed in the Philippines when WWII broke out. Knowing the Japs were about to over run the islands, the gun was painted to protect it from the moisture, wrapped in rags, and buried.
                      Chris' grandfather, and his father, who was about 6 or 7 at the time, survived the Bataan Death March! I've met his dad, and never had a clue.
                      When the war ended, they retrieved it. Some water had got under the paint on the right side it was laying on. It was taken apart to be cleaned, and never re-assembled. That's why it's in excellent mechanical condition, it hasn't been shot in 70+ years! They never cleaned the paint off, fearing they would do more damage. This job just got paid for in full, with that history. Balance is going to be a cold beer and the rest of the story.
                      I emailed him the pics, and he couldn't believe it was the same gun. Both he and his dad are excited to shoot it now.
                      Marquand, thanks for the link, that's the cheapest I've seen it!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BajaJames83
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 6041

                        thats a cool little project you got there
                        NRA Endowment Life Member
                        USMC 2001-2012

                        Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                        John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                        James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          aghauler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 4794

                          Originally posted by TRAP55
                          WOW!
                          You know how us C&R collectors are always saying, "If this gun could only talk"?
                          The gun belongs to my boy's best bud Chris. I told Morgan yesterday to call Chris and get me some history on where this thing came from.
                          He called today and filled me in. I'm shamefully taking back any reference to "Bubba" I said before.
                          The gun belonged to Chris' grandfather who was stationed in the Philippines when WWII broke out. Knowing the Japs were about to over run the islands, the gun was painted to protect it from the moisture, wrapped in rags, and buried.
                          Chris' grandfather, and his father, who was about 6 or 7 at the time, survived the Bataan Death March! I've met his dad, and never had a clue.
                          When the war ended, they retrieved it. Some water had got under the paint on the right side it was laying on. It was taken apart to be cleaned, and never re-assembled. That's why it's in excellent mechanical condition, it hasn't been shot in 70+ years! They never cleaned the paint off, fearing they would do more damage. This job just got paid for in full, with that history. Balance is going to be a cold beer and the rest of the story.
                          I emailed him the pics, and he couldn't believe it was the same gun. Both he and his dad are excited to shoot it now.
                          Marquand, thanks for the link, that's the cheapest I've seen it!
                          TRAP, Great restoration and story! If I was coming down the hill I'd bring ya abox of 38 S&W, got a few in the garage for my Enfield. Won't be getting a long run of days off for awhile though.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TRAP55
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 5536

                            aghauler, appreciate the offer!
                            I just remembered the Vallejo Gunshow is this weekend, have to take a run over there and see who has what.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              G-Man WC
                              In Memoriam
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 10991

                              Trap, very nice restoration.
                              The design was ahead of it's time.
                              --g
                              If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
                              -Samuel Adams

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1