Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help me identify my M39 receiver

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wizdumb
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 850

    Help me identify my M39 receiver

    Hey guys,

    A fellow calgunner was interested in the M39 I have for sale, and he wanted to know if the receiver was pre-1899 (antique status). I disassembled the rifle to check the underside of the tang for markings, and there were none. The only receiver marking I could see is this was on top of the tang.

    Tang bottom
    Tang top

    I checked the 7.62x54r.net Marking reference site to no avail. Have any of you come across a receiver like this before?
    Please verify historical quotes before putting them in your signature.
  • #2
    jthesby
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 723

    Yup, the m27 I bought had no tang mark underneath, and just a small mark on top... Not sure as to manufacture

    Comment

    • #3
      NOTABIKER
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2012
      • 7635

      my 1944 SAKO only has a # 5 under the tang. no help at all. you are not alone.
      Last edited by NOTABIKER; 01-01-2014, 7:05 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        wizdumb
        Senior Member
        • May 2010
        • 850

        Interesting. Is there any way to identify the year the receiver was manufactured?
        Please verify historical quotes before putting them in your signature.

        Comment

        • #5
          Flyin Brian
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Oct 2009
          • 3395

          OP, your receiver is a New England Westinghouse, so made between 1915-1918. The <-E is a mark of one of the n.e.w. factories.

          Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
          NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

          I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

          Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
          I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

          Comment

          • #6
            wizdumb
            Senior Member
            • May 2010
            • 850

            Originally posted by Flyin Brian
            OP, your receiver is a New England Westinghouse, so made between 1915-1918. The <-E is a mark of one of the n.e.w. factories.

            Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

            Maybe I'll take a better photo of the receiver mark. It doesn't look like an "E" to me; it looks like two Cyrillic symbols inside a circle with an arrow.
            Please verify historical quotes before putting them in your signature.

            Comment

            • #7
              Flyin Brian
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Oct 2009
              • 3395

              Originally posted by wizdumb
              Maybe I'll take a better photo of the receiver mark. It doesn't look like an "E" to me; it looks like two Cyrillic symbols inside a circle with an arrow.
              it looks to me like that's a Russian acceptance of nk in a circle stamped over the top of the <-E

              Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
              NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

              I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

              Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
              I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1