Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Online auctions. I know its been asked before...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Father Ted
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 889

    Online auctions. I know its been asked before...

    Why do people bid up items days before its over?! This happens all the time when I'm interested in buying something off GB. Why can't people just set a reminder on their imperial probe droid (smart phone) and bid at the end like a normal human being instead of trying to take possession of something like an entitled ego maniac getting involved in a peeing match with like minded nincompoops! Then, to bother it all, more than half the time the winner is someone like me who waited for final fifteen minutes. (The interminable fifteen minute rule)
    "The answer to 1984 is 1776!" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • #2
    Grendl
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 1657

    Self control. They bid the maximum they're willing to pay. Sometimes they win. They never get caught up in the frenzy and overbid... like I have :-(
    YOU NEED A GUN TRUST.

    TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
    Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.

    Comment

    • #3
      Armistice
      Veteran Member
      • May 2013
      • 2668

      I hate it too, driving the price up like an idiot

      I go on 5mins before and go from there. Only went $10 over my max on one. Not bad
      March 29- April 5, 2019- The Million Mag March. Thank you, Judge Benitez and all the vendors

      Originally posted by ThemBastards
      Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
      Originally posted by knucklehead0202
      I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!

      Comment

      • #4
        Emdawg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 4292

        Ha!

        I only have 3 ratings on my gunbroker account, but I have at least bid for over 100 items... and lost.
        *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

        Comment

        • #5
          OldShooter32
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 2065

          This is why auctions were invented.
          "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

          Walnut media for bright brass
          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214

          Comment

          • #6
            Flyin Brian
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Oct 2009
            • 3395

            I've heard a lot of people whine about auctions but this is the first time I've heard it directed toward the people who bid too early. Interesting.
            NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

            I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

            Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
            I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

            Comment

            • #7
              Eljay
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 4985

              As somebody who sells I just want to say I really appreciate those guys.

              Comment

              • #8
                Father Ted
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 889

                Originally posted by Emdawg
                Ha!

                I only have 3 ratings on my gunbroker account, but I have at least bid for over 100 items... and lost.
                I think I have 5 and I've bid on well over 200! It makes no sense because they have that rediculous 15 min rule. On eBay I have it timed on my phone, I can snipe right at 3seconds. I think people feel entitled and try to take possession prematurely bo matter what the cost. Sorry for the rant.
                Cheers
                "The answer to 1984 is 1776!" - Mahatma Gandhi

                Comment

                • #9
                  Agustav
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 1172

                  I bid early becasue I don't always have the time or access to computer/phone when the auction ends. So, I bid early and the max I am willing to pay. Sometimes I get lucky and snatched a good deal, most time I don't.

                  My thinking is that there is always more rifle out there. If I don't win, no biggie! Worst thing you can do in a auction is getting in a bidding match with someone. If they bid early and way higher than what you are willing to spend, it doesn't matter when they bid. You are not getting the it anyways...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    cheapblaster
                    Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 160

                    Stop using the mindset "won" or "lost" an auction. Don't make it a competition.Bid what it is worth to you. You kind of have to wait towards the end to see where the bidding is going.

                    OP, you are waiting 'till the last 15 minutes, if I'm reading you right. What's your beef?
                    That somebody bid earlier than you? Yeah, they should have stayed out of it until you made your bid. And then not put in their bid. Want some cheese with that whine?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      eighteenninetytwo
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 1545

                      Pretty hilarious that someone is botching because they can't snipe at the la at 3 seconds. That is exactly why the 15 mins rule is there. So the person willing to pay the most gets it not the guys with the best Internet connection.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Exile Machine
                        No longer in Business
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 9551

                        Originally posted by Eljay
                        As somebody who sells I just want to say I really appreciate those guys.
                        +1. Don't forget if the item has no bids we sellers can still increase the initial bid, or change the auction terms, or even pull the auction entirely. Someone placing an early bid may be locking it in so we can't do those things.

                        -Mark
                        Manufacturer of CA AWB Compliance Products from Oct 2009 to Nov 2018

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          I Swan
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 8770

                          I love the 15 min rule. Makes it just like a live auction. When I sell online I have anti snipe protection. I start auctions at least I would feel comfortable taking. If I get sniped so be it. But most of the time the "entitled" early bidders keep the snipers away.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Dan_Eastvale
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 10763

                            I like the buy it now optioned ones..

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              elSquid
                              In Memoriam
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 11844

                              I bid the max that I'm willing to pay upfront and then I get on with my life. I'm not interested in tracking the end of auctions, playing bidding games, etc. Other people may find that enjoyable, but I'd rather be doing something else with my time.

                              <shrug>

                              -- Michael

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1