Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Had a Great Day Today!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Enfield47
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2012
    • 6385

    Had a Great Day Today!

    I picked up my new 1903A3! No pics yet, but it's a 1943 Remington with a two grove barrel. The rifling is strong and the bore is nice and bright. From what I can tell so far (haven't disassembled it yet), the stock is an original RA, and the metal parts have the "R" stamp on them. I'll know more once I get it all broken down so I can inspect everything more closely. I'm very pleased with it and can't wait until next weekend when I can take it out and shoot it.

    I also got to see an awesome gun collection! Hundreds of rifles (and I only saw about half of it) all antiques or C&R. I got to see a couple of needle guns from the Franco Prussian war, Steyer straight pull rifles, GEW98s, KAR98s, French Gras rifles, MAS36s, MAS49-56, the predecessor to the Mosin Nagant, Italian Carcanos, P14, Model 1917s, lots of French Lebels, Berthier rifles and more that I can't even recall. I had such a great time not only being able to look but to hold and work the actions of them was fantastic. I also got see a lot of bayonets from WWI, some were even on the rifles - everything from spikes to blades. I even saw the really long one like Glennsche has on his rifle (I think it was a GEW98). It was all so cool and I was in heaven!
  • #2
    NOTABIKER
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2012
    • 7635

    you will love the 1903A3, I got the one i have from a customer of mine. Also a Remington. they shoot very well and look nice. I love the very dark walnut stock. i wiped it down with BLO a few times to clean and protect the wood.

    Comment

    • #3
      smle-man
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2007
      • 10606

      I just had my 03A3 at the range on Friday. If any rifle would break my allegiance to the Lee-Enfield, it is the 03 series!

      Enjoy your new rifle and I hope we get to see pictures of it soon.

      It is funny to me how much in demand the Smith-Corona 03A3s are now. When I was a teen and haunting the local gunshop in the early 70s the shooters in the know distained SC 03A3s because they weren't made by a 'real' gun manufacturer. Only Remingtons were desired. Now it is the other way around!

      Comment

      • #4
        rdfact
        CGN Contributor
        • Nov 2012
        • 2680

        Originally posted by Enfield47
        I also got to see an awesome gun collection! Hundreds of rifles (and I only saw about half of it) all antiques or C&R.
        So was this a private collection of a fellow Cal-Gunner?

        Comment

        • #5
          Enfield47
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2012
          • 6385

          Originally posted by NOTABIKER
          you will love the 1903A3, I got the one i have from a customer of mine. Also a Remington. they shoot very well and look nice. I love the very dark walnut stock. i wiped it down with BLO a few times to clean and protect the wood.
          I'm planning on bringing it out for the C&R shoot next Sunday. I can't wait to try it out. I reloaded some 30-06 rounds for the Garand so I will share some of that the 03.

          Originally posted by smle-man
          I just had my 03A3 at the range on Friday. If any rifle would break my allegiance to the Lee-Enfield, it is the 03 series!

          Enjoy your new rifle and I hope we get to see pictures of it soon.

          It is funny to me how much in demand the Smith-Corona 03A3s are now. When I was a teen and haunting the local gunshop in the early 70s the shooters in the know distained SC 03A3s because they weren't made by a 'real' gun manufacturer. Only Remingtons were desired. Now it is the other way around!
          I had hoped to take some photos today but I got sidetracked into other things so it is disassembled in the safe. I plan on putting together tomorrow and seeing of I can get some decent pictures before the sun goes down.

          The Smith Coronas have demanded a higher price lately it seems. Now everyone wants a typewriter 03, or a juke box M1 carbine.

          Originally posted by rdfact
          So was this a private collection of a fellow Cal-Gunner?
          Yes, but for the sake of privacy I can't say who. I was so amazed and excited at it all, seeing all of those beautiful old wood and steel rifles was simply devine! In fact the only rifles with a plastic part were the MAS49-56 and it was just the charging handle that was plastic.

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1