Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Norwegian K98 accuracy

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Seaweed02
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 1650

    Norwegian K98 accuracy

    I am looking for a Norwegian K98 in 30.06 and wanted to know what kind of accuracy I can expect from that rifle if it is in good condition? I read somewhere that as the gun heats up the grouping spreads way out. Is that true?
  • #2
    Noonanda
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3404

    Originally posted by Seaweed02
    I am looking for a Norwegian K98 in 30.06 and wanted to know what kind of accuracy I can expect from that rifle if it is in good condition? I read somewhere that as the gun heats up the grouping spreads way out. Is that true?
    you will run into that problem somewhat with most guns unless it has a heavy barrel. This also depends on how fast you are shooting. Are you trying for a mad minute type scenario or just plinking away?
    "You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

    Comment

    • #3
      Syntax Error
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 3817

      I've found my Norwegian K98 to be accurate enough for my needs. I would say it's probably on the same level of accuracy as similar condition 8mm Mauser barrels. Of course, all other things do apply that are common to barrels, such as harmonics, heating up, and other factors, but overall, it's a good barrel.

      Comment

      • #4
        Seaweed02
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 1650

        Noonanda, I just plink around, and while I don't do the mad minute type of shooting, I don't wait long enough between shots for the barrel to stay cool either. But now that I think about what you have said, it may be that the person who wrote what I read fires the mad minute or somewhere close. Because I really haven't had that happen on my other Mausers. Thanks.

        Syntax Error, Thanks for the reassurance. It will probably be just fine especially in the almost brand new condition the bore is in on that Norwegian K98 that I am about to buy. And if it is only just on the same level of accuracy as a similar 8mm Mauser, then I'll be happy because the three Mausers I have are dead on accurate rifles. Even with military surplus ammo you can't miss with them. Thanks for the replies.

        I guess I just wanted to get some opinions from actual owners on how accurate the Norwegian K98 is. Please post something on the subject if you happen to own one. Thanks.

        Comment

        • #5
          6mmintl
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • 4822

          I just barreled a WWI receiver with a Norwegian barrel and quality appears to be excellent, I set it up .001" over SAMI go.
          I also have a dot44 with an Israeli 7.62 barrel in a VZ24 stock with swede 96 Solderin rear diopter sight that is a tackdriver shooting about 1.25 moa with LC68 M118 ammo.

          The WWI Norwegian barreled action has double set triggers and once assembled and tested will have a better idea which of the two I will keep.

          Im sure the Norwegian will do as good, maybe better as barrel quality looks better then Israeli.

          Comment

          • #6
            6mmintl
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 4822

            Comment

            • #7
              6mmintl
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 4822

              Just found it, would not have figured it was Irish!

              Comment

              • #8
                Mustang
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2007
                • 5075

                Last year I won this Norwegian K98 at an auction.





                Bore is shiny and sharp


                After putting three Federal 180 gr Power shocks into a target @ 50 yards to make sure the sights were on...



                I moved the targets down to 100 yards and shot 5 Hornady 168 grain M1 Garand match rounds...



                I was expecting a bit better with the Hornady. I guess it is possible the K98 didn't like the BT bullet or the load. Guess it is also possible I messed up the five rounds. While shooting it, I appreciated the square front sight blade that the Norwegians installed...much easier for my eyes than the triangular one on the German K98
                Last edited by Mustang; 10-29-2013, 8:29 PM.
                ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mustang
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2007
                  • 5075

                  Originally posted by 6mmintl
                  I just barreled a WWI receiver with a Norwegian barrel and quality appears to be excellent, I set it up .001" over SAMI go.
                  I also have a dot44 with an Israeli 7.62 barrel in a VZ24 stock with swede 96 Solderin rear diopter sight that is a tackdriver shooting about 1.25 moa with LC68 M118 ammo.

                  The WWI Norwegian barreled action has double set triggers and once assembled and tested will have a better idea which of the two I will keep.

                  Im sure the Norwegian will do as good, maybe better as barrel quality looks better then Israeli.
                  Frank, does the Swedish sight fit the rear bridge of a M98 receiver without modification?
                  ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Seaweed02
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 1650

                    6mmIntl, Yes it is Irish. And you said you found it, so now I will post for others to see that it means "May God Not Weaken Your Hand". Actually Irish is sort of weird compared to English. Word for word it is "not weaken God your hand", but it means may God not weaken your hand.

                    Mustang that is some outstanding shooting!!!!! You aren't happy with that grouping at 100 yards? I would be thrilled to have that tight a group at 100 yards. That is only about a 2 inch group at the most, and with iron sights you can't beat that. Thanks for posting those pictures too. Nice looking rifle you have there.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      6mmintl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 4822

                      Yes, Solderin fit98K bridge perfectly

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Seaweed02
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 1650

                        I think I found one

                        I do believe I have made a deal with a fella from another forum. He is wanting $750 dollars for his Norwegian Mauser, but it looks awesome and he says the bore is mirror shiny and looks brand new. Although the price is right up there, and he won't budge on it, he is willing to let me make payments on it, so it looks like I will have one of these fine rifles chambered in 30.06 after all. It will take a few months but by January I should have it and I'll post pics.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mustang
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 5075

                          Originally posted by Seaweed02
                          I do believe I have made a deal with a fella from another forum. He is wanting $750 dollars for his Norwegian Mauser, but it looks awesome and he says the bore is mirror shiny and looks brand new. Although the price is right up there, and he won't budge on it, he is willing to let me make payments on it, so it looks like I will have one of these fine rifles chambered in 30.06 after all. It will take a few months but by January I should have it and I'll post pics.
                          Just out of curiosity, has he posted any pictures of it?
                          ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mustang
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2007
                            • 5075

                            Originally posted by 6mmintl
                            Yes, Solderin fit98K bridge perfectly
                            Thanks, Frank
                            ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Seaweed02
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2012
                              • 1650

                              Not posted, but....

                              Originally posted by Mustang
                              Just out of curiosity, has he posted any pictures of it?
                              No he hasn't posted any pictures, nor has he posted any for sale add. I have posted the same "WTB Norwegian Mauser" thread on several gun forums. He contacted me via email and said he had one he would let go for sale. He sent me some pictures of the receiver area, all close up shots, that he had on his computer. I have asked him for some full length pictures but he has to get the rifle out of storage to take new pics. He says he'll get me those pictures this week. Here are three close ups
                              [IMG] My Norwegian Mauser 3 by carllovett, on Flickr[/IMG]

                              [IMG] Norwegian Mauser 2 by carllovett, on Flickr[/IMG]

                              [IMG] Norweigan k98k byf 41 2297b HAER 32167 .30-06 by carllovett, on Flickr[/IMG]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1