Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Swedish M96 with threaded barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • x601
    Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 131

    Swedish M96 with threaded barrel

    Need some advice on a Swedish M96

    I was looking to buy a Swedish Mauser when seller informed me it had a threaded barrel and metal thread protector cap. Some research has led me to understand that it was used to screw on a device to pulverize the wooden bullets the Swedes used for training purposes. The cap was to protect to threads.

    Does this mean this rifle was used more for training capacity? Would I be concerned the bore is shot out? Seller says bore is good condition but I'm no expert.

    As I understand it the sniper versions don't have the threads. From an accuracy/shooting perspective would this be potentially less accurate? Or not enough info to tell?
  • #2
    Danodog
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • May 2013
    • 2533

    You can check the brass disk on the stock, but it can be inaccurate if the gun has been shot and not re-arsenaled. No mark on the indicator means a new or newer barrel and a three means that it has seen some wear, but is still accurate enough for shooting. One and two marks on the brass stock disk fall in between the no mark and a three. With that being said I have seen brass disks with the indicator marked at a three, and the rifles were still very accurate. I have seen threaded barrels shoot just as fine as non-threaded. Using a bore light, Make sure that you have nice, shiny bore, with sharp lands and grooves. My M96/38 has a barrel that looks factory new on the inside.

    Ask for a range session. Your rifle may shoot 4-8 inches high at 100 yards. These rifles were originally sighted in at around 300 meters. The M96/38 will be a little closer to target since it was sighted for 100 meters. I added a S&K scope mount to my rifle that replaces the rear ladder sight. I have an LER scope on the rifle to accommodate my aging eyes. The scope mount does not alter the rifle. No tapping and drilling required.



    Brass Plate photo. Small wedge indicates bore wear Since there is no mark, it gives the idea that the bore should be in better shape.
    Last edited by Danodog; 10-21-2013, 11:57 AM.
    Calguns Contributor
    NRA Benefactor Member
    CRPA Member
    San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
    What have you done for 2A lately?

    Comment

    • #3
      v/dBrink
      Member
      • Sep 2008
      • 213

      The barrel threading started in 1955. New barrels were threaded so having threads doesn't mean it was shot out at all.

      The blank firing devise was introduced because young Swedish recruits were having too much fun shooting each other during training. This tidbit from a former sergeant in the Swedish army.

      Comment

      • #4
        Flyin Brian
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Oct 2009
        • 3395

        Originally posted by Danodog
        Brass Plate photo. Small wedge indicates bore wear Since there is no mark, it gives the idea that the bore should be in better shape.
        I believe the small wedge indicates bore corrosion, not wear or accuracy.
        NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

        I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

        Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
        I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

        Comment

        • #5
          Sutcliffe
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2003
          • 6792

          I think it's erosion and not corrosion

          Originally posted by Flyin Brian
          I believe the small wedge indicates bore corrosion, not wear or accuracy.
          It's more than likely it will shoot a foot high at a hundred yards. Pretty sure they were regulated at 300 meters from the factory.

          There are aftermarket sights to correct this. Pretty sure you can even find covers to cover up and protect those ugly threads.

          Swedes are great shooters and finding one in poor barrel condition is the EXCEPTION and not a rule.

          Comment

          • #6
            krwada
            Senior Member
            CGN Contributor
            • Jun 2013
            • 1457

            Originally posted by Sutcliffe
            It's more than likely it will shoot a foot high at a hundred yards. Pretty sure they were regulated at 300 meters from the factory.

            There are aftermarket sights to correct this. Pretty sure you can even find covers to cover up and protect those ugly threads.

            Swedes are great shooters and finding one in poor barrel condition is the EXCEPTION and not a rule.
            I believe all the open sights for the mil-surp Mausers are sighted in at 300 meters.

            You can either:
            1. Purchase after market rear sights modified for 100 meters
            2. Grind down the rear sight stop to sight in at 100 meters.

            I purchased a replacement rear sight from Numrich and ground it down for a 100 meter elevation using the Dremel grinding tool. I kept the original sight just in case I wanted to put it back in for resale.

            Comment

            • #7
              pro-nra
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2010
              • 2270

              I would not grind the rear sight to correct POI as original Swedish taller sights are readily available. They are numbered from -X to +X and 0 being neutral. You will need a sight pusher of some kind to drive the old one off and install the new one.

              Comment

              • #8
                emcon5
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 3347

                Originally posted by v/dBrink
                The barrel threading started in 1955. New barrels were threaded so having threads doesn't mean it was shot out at all.

                The blank firing devise was introduced because young Swedish recruits were having too much fun shooting each other during training. This tidbit from a former sergeant in the Swedish army.
                Interesting. I have a Husqvarna Vapenfabriks M38 dated 1941, so you are saying that is must have been re-barreled some time after 1955?

                Comment

                • #9
                  Danodog
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2013
                  • 2533

                  Originally posted by Flyin Brian
                  I believe the small wedge indicates bore corrosion, not wear or accuracy.
                  You are right. I wasn't being descriptive in language.
                  Calguns Contributor
                  NRA Benefactor Member
                  CRPA Member
                  San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
                  What have you done for 2A lately?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ckcadavona
                    Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 207

                    From my experience and research most BUT not all Swede Mauser's shoot high. The rifle in question by OP (my rifle) shoots 1-2 inch high at 100 yards using 6 o'clock hold. The rifle shot well for me the first time out with factory loaded PPU SPBT's. Unfortunately/fortunately, I need to make room for another rifle I recently picked up. I'm constantly torn by shooters vs collectors since I know the longer M96's usually shoot better then the carbines.
                    Last edited by ckcadavona; 10-21-2013, 10:03 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      emcon5
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 3347

                      Originally posted by krwada
                      I believe all the open sights for the mil-surp Mausers are sighted in at 300 meters.
                      Depends on the rifle. They are generally sighted at whatever the lowest setting on the rear sight is.

                      The closest setting on the M38 is 100 meters. Same goes for K98s. M96 and WW1 era Mausers tended to start at 300.

                      If you think about it, that is not a bad place for a sight setting for a battle rifle. Aim for the belt buckle, and anywhere from 0 to 300m should be a hit.

                      Originally posted by Danodog
                      You are right. I wasn't being descriptive in language.
                      There is a description here:



                      The last sector gives information on the level of bore pitting. 1 means pitting in the groves. 2 means pitting in the groves and on the side of the lands. 3 means pitting in the whole bore (= unserviceable). A rifle would never receive a 3, it would instead be turned in to a work shop, where the old barrel would be exchanged for a new one.
                      I am not sure his statement about "A rifle would never receive a 3" is accurate, I think I have seen rifles rated "3" in the wild.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        x601
                        Member
                        • Jul 2013
                        • 131

                        thanks for all the replies and comments! very informative. Here is the brass disc. Does this mean it is marked 2?

                        Last edited by x601; 10-21-2013, 10:42 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          v/dBrink
                          Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 213

                          Originally posted by emcon5
                          Interesting. I have a Husqvarna Vapenfabriks M38 dated 1941, so you are saying that is must have been re-barreled some time after 1955?
                          No. I didn't say that your rifle must've been rebarreled. It very well could've had the original barrel threaded.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            v/dBrink
                            Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 213

                            Originally posted by x601
                            thanks for all the replies and comments! very informative. Here is the brass disc. Does this mean it is marked 2?

                            Your rifle was downgraded from a 1 to 2.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              v/dBrink
                              Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 213

                              Originally posted by Sutcliffe
                              and finding one in poor barrel condition is the EXCEPTION and not a rule.
                              Not a real accurate statement.

                              I have two m/96 with very worn barrels. One is so worn there is barely a hint that it ever had rifling. It keyholes at 25 yards. It's a very nice looking 1902 m/96 that came from Sweden with no bolt, front or rear sights or cleaning rod. It came not from Swedish military stores but from an FSR shooting club. Rifles that came from shooting clubs didn't always get the same maintenance protocol as rifles in the military. So this particular rifle, while in excellent condition visually, was shot to death. I plan on sectioning the barrel on the milling machine when I procure a new m/96 barrel to replace it with.

                              The other m/96 is a 1903 m/96 that was bought through the wholesale channels in 1986. All numbers match. The rifling is severely worn in the breech end to the point that the lands are very rounded and worn. It will still put 5 cast bullets into 1" at 50 yds but a good barrel will put 5 rds into ONE hole at 50 yds. This rifle also was a club rifle but was imported complete. Cost $39 in 1986.

                              Not all Swedish Mausers came from military stores. Those that did generally have a piece of white tape over the comb of the stock with a two digit date code for the last inspection. Dates from 72 to 89 are fairly common for m/96. The rifles imported in the last 5 or so years are all private owner rifles that were turned in to police due to storage laws requiring locked storage. Comparatively they are of a lessor condition overall than rifles imported fresh from military storage, many of which were rebuilt with new barrels and stocks prior to storage.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1