Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bay Area M1 Carbine knowledge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CowboyShooter
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 767

    Bay Area M1 Carbine knowledge?

    Well, in celebration of the Heller affirmation, I successfully bid on a M1 carbine.

    This is my first step into WWII rifles and I know I have a lot to learn. Will be getting a manual but I tend to do better learning by doing instead of looking at pictures.

    Anyone in the East Bay, South Bay, Bay Bay that knows how to disassemble, inspect, troubleshoot these cute little critters? It would be great to have some help getting familiar with the proper care and handling.

    thanks!
    You say "gun nut" like it's a bad thing
  • #2
    FinweElensar
    Senior Member
    • May 2006
    • 615

    The M1 Carbine is easy to clean. Just follow this guide: http://surplusrifle.com/m1carbine/index.asp

    The Bolt tool will make cleaning it a lot easier.

    Comment

    • #3
      CowboyShooter
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 767

      Originally posted by FinweElensar
      The M1 Carbine is easy to clean. Just follow this guide: http://surplusrifle.com/m1carbine/index.asp

      The Bolt tool will make cleaning it a lot easier.
      Great. Thanks for the info.
      You say "gun nut" like it's a bad thing

      Comment

      • #4
        dfletcher
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Dec 2006
        • 14810

        Originally posted by CowboyShooter
        Well, in celebration of the Heller affirmation, I successfully bid on a M1 carbine.

        This is my first step into WWII rifles and I know I have a lot to learn. Will be getting a manual but I tend to do better learning by doing instead of looking at pictures.

        Anyone in the East Bay, South Bay, Bay Bay that knows how to disassemble, inspect, troubleshoot these cute little critters? It would be great to have some help getting familiar with the proper care and handling.

        thanks!
        Well, think of how much doing you'll do when you do what you do wrong and have to undo and redo what you did - that's what I do. Jeez I got a headache just proofing that .....

        Really, they're very simple to take apart. On your own with nothing more than a schematic, which you can view at Numrich Arms, you should be able to remove the barreled action and the trigger group and the op rod/bolt. Unless there's a problem I wouldn't go much beyond that.
        GOA Member & SAF Life Member

        Comment

        • #5
          CowboyShooter
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 767

          Originally posted by dfletcher
          Well, think of how much doing you'll do when you do what you do wrong and have to undo and redo what you did - that's what I do. Jeez I got a headache just proofing that .....
          ah, you've seen me doing what I usually do before...

          if it ain't broke, it will be by the time I "fix" it
          You say "gun nut" like it's a bad thing

          Comment

          • #6
            Spiggy
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2006
            • 8688

            clean the barrel, occasionally lube the bolt

            sometimes check to see if the castle nut is secure. :P that's all it needs, you don't have to take it apart after every use
            Originally posted by AJAX22
            Anti gun BS...

            Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction

            Comment

            • #7
              DB2
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2006
              • 1542

              Pm NRAHighPowerShooter. I bought my carbine from him. He's an expert when it comes to M1's, Garand/carbine



              I'm sure he'll chime in anyway.

              Comment

              • #8
                CowboyShooter
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 767

                Originally posted by DB2
                Pm NRAHighPowerShooter. I bought my carbine from him. He's an expert when it comes to M1's, Garand/carbine



                I'm sure he'll chime in anyway.
                Great. Thanks
                You say "gun nut" like it's a bad thing

                Comment

                • #9
                  bohoki
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 20826

                  yea teh good thing about m1 carbines is from the start they specified non corrosive primers so people dont have to mess with the little piston

                  i think the only ammo that was corrosive was made by the french

                  so basically if the little piston moves freely the firing pin moves freely and the extractor is nice and tight chances are you are good to go

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Spiggy
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 8688

                    make sure it's secured and done correctly

                    I bought a carbine newly rebarreled from a local shop and the guy didn't ream/headspace it, the thing exploded
                    Originally posted by AJAX22
                    Anti gun BS...

                    Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NRAhighpowershooter
                      Super Moderator
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 6485

                      CowboyShooter, shoot me a PM.I'd be happy to go over your Carbine with you..
                      'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

                      Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CowboyShooter
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 767

                        Originally posted by NRAhighpowershooter
                        CowboyShooter, shoot me a PM.I'd be happy to go over your Carbine with you..
                        thanks. PM sent
                        You say "gun nut" like it's a bad thing

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          maxx424
                          Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 340

                          Come up to San Leandro range with your. Usually there on Sunday afternoon. couple of us shoot the carbine.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1