Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

slaming mosin rifles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NOTABIKER
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2012
    • 7635

    slaming mosin rifles

    i do not remember the last time members go out of their way to slam anything except mosins. do they really think we are going to change our minds about them ? . or do they think they are just bad rifles and we need to be informed about them constantly.
    their lack of knowledge about them does not bother me , but it does get old every time the subject comes up about them people chime in how they are just cheap rifles. every mosin i ever had shot just fine and i have never had 1 dud surplus 7.62-54r round.
    just because the mosin is the last surplus rifle you can find under 150 bucks does not mean it is a poorly made gun. if that was so than most other surplus rifles that used to be cheap must also be poorly made.
    Last edited by NOTABIKER; 10-10-2013, 2:40 PM.
  • #2
    spb_la
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1419

    People are pre-conditioned by consumer economy to equate price and quality.
    Since millions regular (non-sniper) M91/30s were made, and there are thousands available now, complemented by the fact that US dollar still goes pretty far in Ukraine, we can buy them here in the US for a very low price. But that, as NOTABIKER said, is not at all an indicator of this rifle's quality.
    "There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket."

    Excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933, by Major General Smedley Butler, USMC.

    PM me your requests for Russian AK optics - Obzor, Kashtan, Rakurs, POSP, etc.

    Buy your BNIB Russian AK Optics here!

    Comment

    • #3
      Tank_0331
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 12

      NOTABIKER, I would just sum it up mostly as just ignorance. You have some people who will slam a firearm or rifle just for the way it looks. Others will slam a rifle or firearm just for it's age. I myself first purchased a Mosin Nagant Sniper with a PU scope based on the fact alone that I am a fan of the movie Enemy at the Gates as well as Vasily Zaytsev and his accomplishments during WWII. I found this rifle to be so totally frickin bad *** that I not only went out and purchased another standard 91/30 for myself, but I purchased one for my brother as well. My only complaint is that I can't use surplus ammo on the ranges here in Commiefornia, however, with my stockpile of surplus ammo, when armageddon hits I should be well protected.

      As a side note, I was in the Marine Corps and with my talent as a rifleman, I would place my skill with a good old bolt action rifle above most people with an AR or a machine gun!

      Comment

      • #4
        SNCaliber
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 3222

        how can you not like mosins, they are cheap as hell and reliable, every mosin I've shot hasnt had even the slightest hiccup
        -Sang

        Comment

        • #5
          E Michael
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2012
          • 2513

          I can out shoot anyone my mosin vs their Mauser

          Comment

          • #6
            C&Rtrader
            Senior Member
            • May 2009
            • 1347

            Not all mosins were created equal....



            but agreed.. slamming them is silly. Frankly I am ok with it. It just means less competition for buying them.
            WTB:Old Video Games! Nintendo, Sega, Atari, etc consoles and games.
            WTS: Several Neat and uncommon Mosins, Russian SKS, Oddball Mausers. PM for details
            Located in Norcal.

            Comment

            • #7
              NOTABIKER
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2012
              • 7635

              the above shows not all shooters are created equal also.

              Comment

              • #8
                GOEX FFF
                ☆ North Texas ☆
                CGN Contributor
                • Jun 2007
                • 7617

                Originally posted by C&Rtrader
                Not all mosins were created equal....



                but agreed.. slamming them is silly. Frankly I am ok with it. It just means less competition for buying them.
                ^^ This

                Let them think that. When a more rare piece comes up for sale, the ones that slam them will just think it's just a regular ole' "crappy" Mosin won't be in the buying field.
                It's like ppl who scoff at corrosive ammo. Good I say! Keep scoffing and leave it all for us surplus junkies.

                I noticed this happened a lot too with the A-H M.95 when a mass of them were imported and were selling for $99 bucks. Folks would think the price reflects the quality or ordinary rifle across the board.
                When a rarer original WWI piece would surface on the auction sites, it was easy to nab it up for a good price.
                Their ignorance is actually a blessing.
                Last edited by GOEX FFF; 10-10-2013, 3:33 PM.
                Stand for the Flag - Kneel for the Cross

                The 2nd Amendment Explained

                Comment

                • #9
                  Shorthair
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 1344

                  I don't particularly like Mossin's. But I own one. Why not. They are like cockroaches. Cash and carry Mossin's will be around long after everything else has gone by the wayside.
                  karma ?
                  The blessings I experience every day are far better than the wrath I deserve.
                  Thankfully, there is no such thing as karma.
                  Proof being that if it did exist we would all most assuredly be dead


                  sigpic NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Paulie Lugnuts
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 1756


                    That about covers it.
                    Because milsurp.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      WASR10
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 2455

                      Remember the flip side to this: Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't make them ignorant of it. I think Mosins are a great buy and are a well made firearm. But I don't like them. I've owned a couple and tried to shoot them until I grew fond of them. But I couldn't. Sometimes its just a matter of preference. So more for you guys!

                      Of course I do not mean to discount those that trash the mosin without ever having held one, much less shot one.
                      Last edited by WASR10; 10-10-2013, 3:36 PM.
                      Mark 16:16

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        C&Rtrader
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2009
                        • 1347

                        With all the mosin supporters in this thread.. I hope some of you are willing to try your hand and the mosin knowledge\rarity thread I posted.

                        // Not a threadjack.

                        Back to supporting Mosins.
                        WTB:Old Video Games! Nintendo, Sega, Atari, etc consoles and games.
                        WTS: Several Neat and uncommon Mosins, Russian SKS, Oddball Mausers. PM for details
                        Located in Norcal.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Flyin Brian
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 3395

                          I expect Pro-NRA should be in here momentarily with his usual diatribe regarding the $89 Mosin, Sub MOA and the shims/canvas barrel accurizing... blah blah blah

                          CSA Cannoneer will tell us how he had 4 of them at one point but he couldn't figure out how to shoot them, so they were sold.

                          Frank (6mmIntl) will accuse us of being Histerical "Moison" collectors since they made 63 Gazillion of them.

                          I know I am missing someone...
                          NRA Life Member - CRPA Life Member - NRA Certified RSO - USN Veteran

                          I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

                          Originally posted by TheExpertdouche
                          I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Crusader
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 2995

                            From my experience, the only people who bash Mosins are the ones too weak to operate the rifle. I took a friend shooting just last weekend who hated my 91/30 because he couldn't open the bolt after firing. And no, I don't have sticky-bolt syndrome

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Crunch130
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 750

                              You can fall off a horse on either side! The Mosin isn't bad BY DESIGN. But you do have to admit, a lot of the 1942-1944 91/30's had fit, finish, and tolerance problems due to the wartime conditions. Those problems resulted in long, unpredictable trigger actions, feeding problems, and difficult bolt lift to extract a fired case.

                              If you know what you're getting for your $99, and I know all you guys do, that's fine. But I've seen a few folks at the shooting range new to centerfire rifles, and they bought one of those wartime 91/30's solely due to the low price, and they did not have a great experience.

                              Consequently, when I decided I wanted to take advantage of cheap & available 7.62X54R ammo, I DID SOME RESEARCH. I do or have owned 6 Mausers, 4 Enfields, an Arisaka, and a couple M-1 Garands. I shot other people's 91/30's and M44's. So, about 4 years ago, I came to the conclusion I would most likely be happy if I bought a Finn. I paid 3X as much for 1943 SAKO M39 built on a 1902 Izhevsk action as a wartime 91/30 sells for.

                              I could not be happier with it.

                              Crunch
                              "The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army"- General George Washington July 2, 1776

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1