Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My First M1895 Nagant

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Capybara
    CGSSA Coordinator
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2012
    • 15671

    My First M1895 Nagant

    1944 Izhevsk M1895 Nagant Pistol.

    I have been wanting one of these for years, finally came across what seems to be a good deal on a pristine example. I liked that it was a WWII vintage Izhevsk, every single sample I have ever seen seems to be a 1930s Tula. Anyone know what the alpha and numeral stamped up on the barrel means? It looks like C2 or C7 and on the other side is a tiny Izhevsk stamp and something else that looks like the Izhevsk stamp over a number? My point and shoot doesn't do real macro so couldn't get a super clear shot of these.

    This one has the Bakelite grips, which I think look better and it looks as if this one was rarely, if ever shot, the bore looks like a brand new gun. It's weird, with my Mosins and others, I throw all of the accessories in a big pile, they really don't interest me past a cursory examination when I first buy the gun. But this pistol came with some cool accessories, the screwdriver, cleaning rod, lanyard and the holster has a different colored border than most I have seen.

    Anyone reload for this gun? The crimp seems really weird. I also scored 50 rounds of Prvi brass ammo and some corrosive surplus. What the heck is up with the firing pin, a swiveling firing pin? How strange.

















    Last edited by Capybara; 09-13-2013, 11:23 PM.
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

    sigpic
  • #2
    Emdawg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 4292

    Mmmmmmmmm... Nagants.


    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

    Comment

    • #3
      Capybara
      CGSSA Coordinator
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2012
      • 15671

      Does the one on the right have no roll mark or a scrubbed roll mark? Wait, now it's occurring to me that that is not a Nagant on the right? What is it?
      NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        G-Man WC
        In Memoriam
        • Oct 2005
        • 10991

        Nice score. Capy, Heads up if you reload. -g
        If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
        -Samuel Adams

        Comment

        • #5
          Emdawg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 4292

          Originally posted by Capybara
          Does the one on the right have no roll mark or a scrubbed roll mark? Wait, now it's occurring to me that that is not a Nagant on the right? What is it?
          It is a M1893 Nagant made for Brazil. Large frame .44 caliber.

          You think that Nagant made revolvers only for Russia?
          *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

          Comment

          • #6
            Capybara
            CGSSA Coordinator
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2012
            • 15671

            Thank you, thank you, I am going to order some of those. Gotta find dies too.
            NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Capybara
              CGSSA Coordinator
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2012
              • 15671

              Nope, didn't know that there were Nagants made for elsewhere. What other countries/variants exist? Usual eastern bloc satellite countries or more in South America?
              NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Emdawg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 4292

                Originally posted by Capybara
                Nope, didn't know that there were Nagants made for elsewhere. What other countries/variants exist? Usual eastern bloc satellite countries or more in South America?

                Belgium orginally ordered some in a 9mm and then went to 7.5mm.

                Sweden ordered and then produced their own (at Husqvarna) in 7.5mm.

                Argentina and Brazil ordered them. Almost same exact pistol, except for a minute difference in the cartridge that is not really noticable, .44 Brazilian or .440 Argentine, both referred to as .44 Nagant.

                Serbia also bought a few.
                *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                Comment

                • #9
                  Capybara
                  CGSSA Coordinator
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 15671

                  Very interesting, what a geographically diverse group of customers.
                  NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Emdawg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 4292

                    Originally posted by Capybara
                    Very interesting, what a geographically diverse group of customers.
                    At the time Nagant was to revolvers as Mauser was to rifles and Browning was to semi-auto pistols.
                    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Rimfire123
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 709

                      nice piece, if you don't mind where did you find this gem and how much is it?

                      thanks

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CEDaytonaRydr
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 4142

                        They're fun little guns. Not a bad way to spend $100.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Capybara
                          CGSSA Coordinator
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 15671

                          I am afraid the days of the $99.00 Nagant pistol are over, the same as the days of the $99.00 91/30s. I paid $145.00 from a private party here in Arizona. I saw several more in other shops here and they were $150.00 up to $219.00. I have never seen a Nagant in a California gun store.

                          I have noticed that gun prices in general are much more realistic here. I was in a shop here the other day and they had three Tavors, each for $1,600.00. All three sold in the hour I was there.
                          NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Armistice
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2013
                            • 2668

                            Damn, I paid $291 for mine. And the bore is totally shot out and pitted
                            March 29- April 5, 2019- The Million Mag March. Thank you, Judge Benitez and all the vendors

                            Originally posted by ThemBastards
                            Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
                            Originally posted by knucklehead0202
                            I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Quiet
                              retired Goon
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 30242

                              Sweet Nagant!

                              Welcome to the club.






                              My 1929 Tula M1895 Nagant
                              sigpic

                              "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1