Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

BP scopes vs rifle scopes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigbossman
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2012
    • 11280

    BP scopes vs rifle scopes

    Here's my question - will a "regular" rifle scope serve reliably on a 50 cal BP rifle, or do I need to buy a BP specific scope?
    Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

    "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
  • #2
    Divernhunter
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 8753

    They will work.
    One difference is the BP scope has the parrellax(sp) set for a closer distance than the regular rifle scope that is Non-AO. Much like a 22RF or shotgun scope is also set closer.

    A straight 4X or 2X7X32-40 or 3X9X40 would work well for you.

    Or you can order a 20X80X56 hubble scope want-to-be with 47 adjustments you need to make before shooting

    What inline did you decide on??---Take Care---Doug
    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

    Comment

    • #3
      bigbossman
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2012
      • 11280

      Thanks Doug - I guess I should just call you first.

      I haven't decided yet. The TC Impact combo you showed me in the Cabela's catalog doesn't show up on their web page, and Bass Pro lists it as "not available online".

      I am sniffing around a trade involving a CVA Stag Horn for a Mossberg .22 that I have, and that is in the exploratory stage. I can't find out too much about the Stag Horn, other than it was a lower end offering and no longer made. I need to be certain of the twist rate to make sure I don't fall into the same trap I just got out of.

      That is actually the reason for this thread - the Stag Horn has a brand new never zeroed Tasco 3-9x40 on it, and I am concerned that it won't take the abuse of a 50 cal BP rifle.
      Last edited by bigbossman; 08-10-2013, 2:34 PM.
      Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

      "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

      Comment

      • #4
        jlmurphy
        Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 212

        Black powder has a different power curve than smokeless, it is more of a push, any rifle scope will work. Oddly enough the worst scope killer of all is a spring piston air rifle, I have a box full of scopes with crosshairs that no longer meet in the middle.

        Comment

        • #5
          Divernhunter
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 8753

          Any Trashco is junk to me. Had 5. Three did not even make it to a rifle and Trashco wanted $10 each "to look at them" The other two became targets.

          If you call you can find out about the T/C gun. I saw it used on TV the other day on one of the hunting shows. Plus $5 shipping on the whole order from Cabelas. You could also see if Bas Pro in Manteca has one.
          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

          Comment

          • #6
            bigbossman
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2012
            • 11280

            Doug, please don't beat around the bush....... if you've got a strong opinion on Tasco scopes, just come out and say what's on your mind.


            Last edited by bigbossman; 08-10-2013, 7:14 PM.
            Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

            "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

            Comment

            • #7
              Divernhunter
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2010
              • 8753

              Next time. I am being nice this time.
              A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
              NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
              SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1