Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Remington Model 8/81

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Castle50
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 428

    Remington Model 8/81

    NRA has Gun of the Day featuring the 8/81. Did Kalashnikov use this as a basis for the AK? They sure seem similar or is it just a passing resemblance?
  • #2
    TRAP55
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2008
    • 5536

    I know this will twist some noses, but I'll say it anyhow and stand by it.
    The only original idea Kalashnikov had, if it counts as one, is using several other peoples original ideas, and assembling them.

    Comment

    • #3
      Emdawg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 4292

      I believe that he combined several successful ideas into making his AK.

      I think the safety is the most obvious rip-off from Browning's Model 8.
      *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

      Comment

      • #4
        Mike A
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2007
        • 1209

        I've had both and while the safety LOOKS similar externally, it isn't and the rest of the Remington isn't either.

        Agreed that the AK used concepts (and expired patents) from other designers. But none from Browning's Remington autoloaders. There's nothing about a Model 8 or 81 or 11 that lends itself to mass military scale production. They are extravagantly well-machined and finished, and were replaced by the 760/740/11-48/870 series of firearms because of the need for cheaper mass production.

        Comment

        • #5
          fal_762x51
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 2732

          Funny. I just bought a Model 81 in .300 Savage for $225 today.
          sigpic

          Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.

          Comment

          • #6
            Emdawg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 4292

            Originally posted by fal_762x51
            Funny. I just bought a Model 81 in .300 Savage for $225 today.
            What shape was it in?
            *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

            Comment

            • #7
              fal_762x51
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 2732

              I would say very good except that it had holes for a Weaver #4 side mount. Might scope it, don't know yet.
              sigpic

              Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.

              Comment

              • #8
                Mike A
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 1209

                If you scope it, make sure you use ALL four of those screws to mount the scope. .300 Sav 81s really "back right up in a hurry" when fired! That was the most powerful cartridge that Remington chambered in their recoil-operated hunting rifles because of the recoil.

                (You got a steal on that gun if you like it!).

                Comment

                • #9
                  smle-man
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 10606

                  I had an 81 in .300 Savage that was the most unpleasant shooting rifle I ever owned. Hope you like yours better. I sold it because of the recoil.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    surplus-addict
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 6534

                    ...it doesn't remind me of the AK (besides the safety) but it sure reminds me of the SKS!
                    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                    Originally posted by loophole
                    What's a PIN number? Or an ATM?
                    You don't watch much porn, do you?
                    Hammer
                    1. The weapon of Kestryll
                    Hammered:
                    1. Getting BTFO by Kestryll with the hammer

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      The Gleam
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 13454

                      Originally posted by TRAP55
                      I know this will twist some noses, but I'll say it anyhow and stand by it. The only original idea Kalashnikov had, if it counts as one, is using several other peoples original ideas, and assembling them.
                      He readily admits this himself.
                      -----------------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by Librarian
                      What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                      If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        fal_762x51
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 2732

                        The cellphone picture. Going to break it down tonight and see if I need any replacement parts.

                        sigpic

                        Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Emdawg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 4292

                          Looks nice. I hear that .300 has some recoil though.
                          *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            fal_762x51
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 2732

                            Bunch of wusses.

                            I will let you know how factory loads compared to my reloads do.
                            sigpic

                            Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mustang
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 5075

                              I've got an 81 in .30 Remington . It has a Redfield aperture rear sight and is a great shooter.







                              PCI factory ammo @ 100 yards.

                              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1