Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Chilean Mauser.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Gryff
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2006
    • 12693

    I have a '95 Chilean that I bought at Big5 25 years ago. Worn, but all matching parts. Not familiar with Mauser variants but mine appears to be some form of carbine and (oddly) has a turned-down bolt handle.
    My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

    Comment

    • #17
      Mustang
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2007
      • 5075

      That is not odd at all. There was both a short rifle and a carbine version of the 1895 Chilean Mauser.

      Does yours have "ears" protecting the front sight?
      Last edited by Mustang; 06-25-2013, 11:47 PM.
      ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

      Comment

      • #18
        Emdawg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 4292

        Originally posted by Gryff
        I have a '95 Chilean that I bought at Big5 25 years ago. Worn, but all matching parts. Not familiar with Mauser variants but mine appears to be some form of carbine and (oddly) has a turned-down bolt handle.
        Like Mustang said they made them in three forms.

        Is your still in 7mm or in 7.62?
        *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

        Comment

        • #19
          Gryff
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2006
          • 12693

          Originally posted by Mustang
          That is not odd at all. There was both a short rifle and a carbine version of the 1895 Chilean Mauser.

          Does yours have "ears" protecting the front sight?
          Yes, I believe so. What I meant is that it is odd to have the turned-down bolt handle. Every picture I've seen of the '95 Chileans has a straight bolt handle.

          Originally posted by Emdawg
          Like Mustang said they made them in three forms.

          Is your still in 7mm or in 7.62?
          7mm Mauser
          My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

          Comment

          • #20
            Emdawg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 4292

            Originally posted by Gryff
            Yes, I believe so. What I meant is that it is odd to have the turned-down bolt handle. Every picture I've seen of the '95 Chileans has a straight bolt handle.



            7mm Mauser
            Short rifles and carbines will have the turned down bolts. Full length infantry rifles will have the normal straight bolt.
            *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

            Comment

            • #21
              Mustang
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2007
              • 5075

              Originally posted by Gryff
              Yes, I believe so. What I meant is that it is odd to have the turned-down bolt handle. Every picture I've seen of the '95 Chileans has a straight bolt handle.
              Most of the South American Mauser short rifles and carbines have turned down bolts. It was the standard configuration for them.
              ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

              Comment

              • #22
                SVT-40
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2008
                • 12907

                Originally posted by Mustang
                Many people believe the 1895 Chilean Mauser, not the 1896 Swedish is the finest small ring Mauser. I think it is too close to call myself. But both rifles and both cartridges are fine indeed.

                I've got several each of the Chilean small and large ring Mausers, as well as several Brazilian large ring Mausers and the 7x57 is a great cartridge.
                Between the 1895 Chilean and the 1896 Swede (1894 action) I would have to give the "edge" to the 1894/96 Swede as it had the bolt guide rib which allowed a smoother and more reliable action of the bolt.....

                Both beautiful and well made rifles.

                Both cartridges are excellent though. My preference is with the 6.5 Swede....Although I really enjoy shooting my 7mm rolling block rifle!!!
                Poke'm with a stick!


                Originally posted by fiddletown
                What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Mrbroom
                  Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 361

                  Just picked up a Chilean 1895, chambered in 22-250. It has the bent down bolt. Thing is in very poor shape as it has been sitting in a closet for the last 40 years. When I first went to check it out, the lady (mother of a good friend of mine) told me she thinks it might be loaded. Her late husband kept all their guns loaded all the time. Well it was. The round in the chamber took a few raps with the cleaning rod to push it out with all the corrosion.

                  Now my question, it seems the 22-250 was not a common caliber as most seemed to be 7mm. Is it possible to make it 7mm?
                  NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
                  NRA Certified RSO
                  BSA Merit Badge Counselor Rifle Shooting

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Emdawg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 4292

                    Originally posted by Mrbroom
                    Just picked up a Chilean 1895, chambered in 22-250. It has the bent down bolt. Thing is in very poor shape as it has been sitting in a closet for the last 40 years. When I first went to check it out, the lady (mother of a good friend of mine) told me she thinks it might be loaded. Her late husband kept all their guns loaded all the time. Well it was. The round in the chamber took a few raps with the cleaning rod to push it out with all the corrosion.

                    Now my question, it seems the 22-250 was not a common caliber as most seemed to be 7mm. Is it possible to make it 7mm?

                    First time I have heard of one being converted to that caliber.


                    Not sure about a re-conversion. I am sure there are spare barrels floating around. I have seen one or two on Gunbroker.
                    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      6mmintl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 4822

                      My first surplus rifle in 1967! was brand new old stock for $28.00

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        knucklehead0202
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 4087

                        7 mauser pretty much set the standard for smokeless rifle cartridges and most every military cartridge in one way or another, was based on it since about 1892 or so. there's a reason you can make various mauser brass out of 30-06, because 30-06 was based on IT, not the other way around. 7mm was and still is one of the best designed and best-performing cartridges in the world. 6.5x55 is also a great round and I would never be able to compare them because I love both dearly.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          SVT-40
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 12907

                          They are beautiful rifles!!!!

                          Poke'm with a stick!


                          Originally posted by fiddletown
                          What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Bobby Ricigliano
                            Mit Gott und Mauser
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 17439

                            Originally posted by SVT-40
                            They are beautiful rifles!!!!

                            Some day we are going to find a c&r gun that SVT does NOT have a mint condition specimen of!!!!!!

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              knucklehead0202
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 4087

                              I know right? I have one of those but it isn't nearly as pretty. got it as a numbers-matching cut-stock sporter. managed to get it in another stock, as well as got a stock forend to repair the matching-number original, it'll still never be as nice as THAT though. only thing I might have nicer than somebody else is my SKS or my MAS36/51, that looks brand-new. I don't have nice things, which kinda works out ok, don't have to worry about bangin' stuff around as much. i'm a careful but kinda clumsy person.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Enfield47
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Sep 2012
                                • 6385

                                Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                                Some day we are going to find a c&r gun that SVT does NOT have a mint condition specimen of!!!!!!
                                I don't know if that is possible.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1