Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Decision Time - Looking for Opinions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TransplantTexan
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 890

    Decision Time - Looking for Opinions

    I've arrived at a fork in the road and now looking for thoughts and opionions from people more knowledgable than myself. I've had my Grandfather's S&W US Army Model 1917 (SN 94XXX) for many years. It is stamped "United States Property" My understanding is date of manufacture is likely late 1917 - early 1918. This was the first large caliber pistol I ever shot so I don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

    At some time, before I received it, I'm thinking a hot load was sent down the barrel. If you look closely at the 2nd picture you can make out a slight bulge in the barrel right below the front sight. Obviously because of that bulge I would not fire the gun as it sits.

    Now for the fork in the road part. Should I:
    1. Leave the gun as is (matching SN's throughout)
    2. Find a replacement barrel and put it back into my firing rotation
    3. Have the barrel professionally cut down and new sights installed


    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    What say you fellow calgunners?
    Ignorance is a matter of choice and is usually cured by age, experience and education, but stupid is genetic in nature, and incurable.
  • #2
    jthesby
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 723

    My personal opinion. Find a replacement barrel and enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed(keeping it hidden in the safe only to be stared at is like having a classic car that you only trailer to shows). I would hang on to the original barrel though...

    Comment

    • #3
      highpower
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2012
      • 5333

      More than likely a squib load was fired and the bullet stuck in the barrel, then another round was fired clearing the barrel and leaving the bulge. Your gun is quite safe to shoot and many times the accuracy isn't affected. I would try it and see if it still shoots OK.
      MLC member.

      Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

      Dumocraps suck balls.

      Comment

      • #4
        TransplantTexan
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 890

        Jthesby,

        That is how I'm leaning but highpower may have a point. Guess it is time to take it to a gunsmith and let them take a look and if they say don't shoot it as is than I can at least price out a new barrel.
        Ignorance is a matter of choice and is usually cured by age, experience and education, but stupid is genetic in nature, and incurable.

        Comment

        • #5
          knucklehead0202
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 4087

          shoot it first, if it shoots alright, no worries. that far down the barrel nothing's goin to happen unless there's an obstruction, like there probably was at one time, as highpower said. try her out and see. may be just fine.

          Comment

          • #6
            omnitravis
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2012
            • 1233

            How does the inside of the barrel look?
            Is everything okay down there?
            Don't forget to shop at Amazon through Shop42a.com. Up to 25% of every purchase you make through Shop42a.com goes back to help fight for your gun rights.

            "Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
            SlickmisterN

            Comment

            • #7
              TransplantTexan
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 890

              barrel pics

              Originally posted by omnitravis
              How does the inside of the barrel look?
              Not the greatest photos. The ring you see just to the inside is where the barrel is bulged




              Originally posted by omnitravis
              Is everything okay down there?
              Last time I check everything was good down there. Not worried about that bulge


              Need to take a shotgun to the smith so I might as well take this and let them take a look at this also. I've heard good things about Duncan's in San MArcos
              Ignorance is a matter of choice and is usually cured by age, experience and education, but stupid is genetic in nature, and incurable.

              Comment

              • #8
                TRAP55
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 5536

                Bulged and "ringed" are the tell tale marks of a squib, but I've never seen one that close to the muzzle, it's usually in the first third of the barrel, that's an odd one. Almost like the muzzle was plugged.
                If it was anywhere else on the barrel, and being a large bore caliber, I would tell you not to shoot it. The metal there has been stressed and can come apart with time and use.
                Being that close to the muzzle end of the barrel, "if it were mine", I would shoot it, but only with cast bullets. Just eyeball the bulge now and then and check for any further stress signs.
                I rescued a Colt Officers Match .22 revolver that bubba was using as a truck gun, no finish left except rust and pits. It wasn't until I got it home and gave it a good cleaning that I saw the barrel was ringed about halfway down.
                Took it out for a range test, and it puts them all in the same hole. Probably the most accurate target pistol I've ever shot, but damn it's fugly!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bukowski
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 810

                  If you want to shoot it, I'd look at a new barrel, otherwise, I'd keep it as is. The value would be close in either case.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1