Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Springfield Trapdoors

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Emdawg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 4292

    Springfield Trapdoors

    Hey guys! You know one gun that doesn't get a lot of attention? The Springfield Trapdoor. Mine is a 1884 Ram-Rod Bayonet Model. It was made in 1891, so it probably saw service in the Spanish-American War.

    Anyways, mine has a unique feature. A pistol grip. It is steel and is checkered. Does anyone know much about these?





    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...
  • #2
    Anubis Laughed
    Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 471

    Nice Springfield! I've seen a few trapdoors with pistol grips of various styles added on. Supposedly they were added on by military competition shooting teams for their practice rifles.

    Others were civilian add-on's from circa the 1920's and on, after the trapdoors were sold off as surplus from the Federal Government and the various State Militias. became more widely available on the US civilian market.

    The worksmanship on your grip looks very well done, regardless of if it was original military or not.
    "What a lovely but absolutely ridiculous sentiment!"

    Comment

    • #3
      IrishJoe3
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 3804

      Very nice. Great rifle. I have an 1884 2 band, with a Buffington rear sight and normal cleaning jag ramrod. Used a removable civil war type triangular bayonet. They are nice rifles, unique place in American military history!

      Oh, it shoots pretty good too ;-)

      PS to add, mine is stamped 1884, but the serial number is of an 1873 series rifle. Who knows who shot and was shot by it.
      Urban legends are a poor basis for making public policy.

      Comment

      • #4
        Emdawg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 4292

        Oh I have had mine for quite a while. It is a great shooter for its age. Even shoots those Remington Core-Lokts just fine.
        *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

        Comment

        • #5
          CEDaytonaRydr
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 4142

          I wouldn't mind having one but I kinda want a Martini-henry first...

          Comment

          • #6
            TANK1135
            Member
            • Sep 2012
            • 288

            Originally posted by Emdawg
            Oh I have had mine for quite a while. It is a great shooter for its age. Even shoots those Remington Core-Lokts just fine.
            Are you reloading?? If not I wouldn't shoot modern ammo out of them they were made for black powder loads not smokeless.Here is a sight that you can get all the info you would ever need on the trapdoors.Sign on ae a member and you can go to the bulliton board to ask ??? if you do giv the whole serial # of your gun they take offense if you don't.There is a resident expert some where down south in CA on there.

            Last edited by TANK1135; 03-22-2013, 7:16 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              Crusader
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 2995

              I have one of the Cadet models of the 1873 (or 1878, don't think I ever figured it out). The barrel length is about halfway between the standard rifle and the carbine model that was produced.

              Very cool rifle... I spent my childhood fighting off Indians and Yankees with it. I took care of that thing like it was my baby, even though I somehow managed to smash my cheek in the hammer when I was a kid (too small to hold the rifle properly) and sprayed blood all over it haha.

              The only problem with it is that, over the years, my grandparents put some type of finish on it to protect the wood. I haven't had the chance to clean it up, but some day I will restore it to original wood finish.

              Comment

              • #8
                kendog4570
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2008
                • 5180

                Originally posted by TANK1135
                Are you reloading?? If not I wouldn't shoot modern ammo out of them they were made for black powder loads not smokeless.Here is a sight that you can get all the info you would ever need on the trapdoors.Sign on ae a member and you can go to the bulliton board to ask ??? if you do giv the whole serial # of your gun they take offense if you don't.There is a resident expert some where down south in CA on there.

                http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/index.html
                THIS.
                If you want to make real ammo for it get Pat Wolfs' book. http://4570book.info/ It's a bit of a hassle to get everything together for proper loading of the original Frankford Arsenal rounds, but it will make the old girl come alive. Touching off an M1881 500 grain load is something to experience! With the right ammo the sights make sense also.

                Nice Trapdoor.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Paulie Lugnuts
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 1756

                  Here's ours, its an 1884 series. My son bought it at a gun show in Alaska.
                  Last edited by Paulie Lugnuts; 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM.
                  Because milsurp.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Emdawg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 4292

                    I understand the problem with using smokeless powder. In all my research I have never found a problem with using smokeless if the cartridges are loaded properly. Speaking of reloading I use Hornady and Lyman reload books and they have their own section for 45-70 Gov't that is for 1873 Trapdoors. Now you guys mught say that is for reproduction Ubertis and Pedersolis, but that is hogwash.

                    By the way, Remington loads their Core-Lokts to the oldest, weakest rifle that was mass-produced for that caliber. I hit my targets where I was aiming at 70 yards.


                    Nice rifle Paulie. I have been looking for one with the normal ram-rod for a while, but I get foiled when I get close to making a deal.
                    *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tom-ADC
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 3614

                      Mines a modern one a H&R Officers model the 100 year anniversary model and yes I do shoot it.

                      US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Paulie Lugnuts
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 1756

                        The metal and bore are decent, the wood is just OK. Not as nice as yours. He got some ammo with it, but we're not sure its safe to shoot, so we haven't fired it yet.
                        Because milsurp.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kendog4570
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 5180

                          Originally posted by Emdawg
                          I understand the problem with using smokeless powder. In all my research I have never found a problem with using smokeless if the cartridges are loaded properly. Speaking of reloading I use Hornady and Lyman reload books and they have their own section for 45-70 Gov't that is for 1873 Trapdoors. Now you guys mught say that is for reproduction Ubertis and Pedersolis, but that is hogwash.

                          By the way, Remington loads their Core-Lokts to the oldest, weakest rifle that was mass-produced for that caliber. I hit my targets where I was aiming at 70 yards.


                          Nice rifle Paulie. I have been looking for one with the normal ram-rod for a while, but I get foiled when I get close to making a deal.
                          It's not about black vs smokeless, or pressure. It's about proper bullet fit, alloy, lube, primer "time", and the way the powder charge is calculated and compressed in the case. All these things are critical to accurate performance the way it was designed. In fact, a full power M1881 500 grain cartridge develops approx 28000 PSI. Thats a bit more than the loading books show for the trapdoor loads. A properly breeched trapdoor will handle it fine.

                          Either way, enjoy that gun. They are neat.
                          Last edited by kendog4570; 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Emdawg
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • 4292

                            Originally posted by kendog4570
                            It's not about black vs smokeless, or pressure. It's about proper bullet fit, alloy, lube, primer "time", and the way the powder charge is calculated and compressed in the case. All these things are critical to accurate performance the way it was designed. In fact, a full power M1881 500 grain cartridge develops approx 28000 PSI. Thats a bit more than the loading books show for the trapdoor loads. A properly breeched trapdoor will handle it fine.

                            Either way, enjoy that gun. They are neat.
                            Thanks. I do enjoy it. Mine just happend to like the new loads. Don't believe that is a bad thing. Accuracy is very good. No rattles. No extra kick.
                            *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Emdawg
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • 4292

                              Originally posted by Paulie Lugnuts
                              The metal and bore are decent, the wood is just OK. Not as nice as yours. He got some ammo with it, but we're not sure its safe to shoot, so we haven't fired it yet.
                              Remington Core-Lokts should work just fine. Any cowboy loads should do fine as well. Just beware of most hunting loads. They are designed for 1895 Marlins or better.
                              *sniff* *sniff* Commies...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1